LIVE from the Majestic Princess 7-Day Rome-Barcelona 4/9/17

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:32 PM.
Naples, FL
199 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by CanadianBurger
My final thoughts...

Did we have a good time? Absolutely!

Would we sail the Majestic again? No. While I have no doubt she will be a hit in the Chinese market, I would choose a different Princess ship given the choice. I'm not sure how she'll go over with the Australians in a year and a half.

If anyone has any further questions, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fantastic review! Thanks for your efforts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Email Us! and say hi when you're on the boards!

Caribbean Princess--September 2017 12 Night British Isles RT from Southampton
Celebrity Summit--August 2016 Bermuda RT from Cape Liberty
Allure of the Seas--June 2016 Eastern Caribbean RT from Miami
Emerald Princess--May 2015 Western Mediterranean Rome to Barcelona
Royal Princess--April 2015 Eastern Caribbean RT from Port Everglades
Caribbean Princess-June 2014--Eastern Caribbean RT from Port Everglades
Royal Caribbean-Majesty--April 2013--Bahamas RT from Miami
Sapphire Princess--Inside Passage--July 2011 RT from Seattle
Carnival Valor--Western Caribbean--June 2005 RT from Miami

2015 Mediterranean Trip Blog link:
https://bonjourn.al/journal/9158
Sydney, Australia
21 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Thanks for this report. Will read it in full later Interesting to hear about the differences on this ship compared to others in a similar class.. We have just booked the New Years cruise sailing from Sydney to New Zealand on 30 Dec 2018, and looking forward to it. Curious to see how it goes and if they tweak it a bit for the Australian market (generally speaking, we prefer more bars, and less shopping and gambling).
West Midlands
854 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
First class review and terrific photos.
Thanks too for the Rome cabs recommendation, we are looking for transfers for next May.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NOVEMBER 2009 WESTERN MED- VOYAGER OF THE SEAS
MAY 2013 EASTERN MED- SPLENDOUR OF THE SEAS
SEPTEMBER 2013 MED CRUISE- ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS
MAY 2014 INDEPENDENCE OF THE SEAS
SEPTEMBER 2014 ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS
MAY 2015 EXPLORER OF THE SEAS
SEPTEMBER 2015 VISION OF THE SEAS
APRIL 2016 OVATION OF THE SEAS
OCTOBER 2016 CELEBRITY ECLIPSE
APRIL 2017 VISION OF THE SEAS
OCTOBER 2017 CELEBRITY ECLIPSE
MAY 2018 JEWEL OF THE SEAS
Ottawa
211 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
Excellent review! Enjoy all the photos!

Just wonder if any one dancing in the piazza when the band played music. We always enjoyed dancing in the piazza or Vista Lounge with the live band.

Toronto, Canada
663 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
Originally posted by CruiseLady88
Just wonder if any one dancing in the piazza when the band played music. We always enjoyed dancing in the piazza or Vista Lounge with the live band.

Yes! I was actually surprised by the number of people dancing in the Piazza. Many more than on a Caribbean cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Emerald Princess May 2017 Northwest Coastal - Click here for "Live From/Patter"
Ruby Princess May 2017 Northwest Coastal - Click here for "Live From/Patter"
Majestic Princess April 2017 Rome-Barcelona - Click here for "Live From/Patters"
Regal Princess December 2016 Eastern Caribbean - Click here for "Live From/Patters"
Royal Princess BVE December 2016 Ft. Lauderdale - Click here for "Live From/Patter"
Coral Princess BVE November 2016 Ft. Lauderdale - Click here for "Live From/Patter"
Ruby Princess September 2016 Northwest Coastal - Click here for "Live From/Patter"
Crown Princess September 2016 Northwest Coastal - Click here for "Live From/Patter"
Crown Princess May 2016 Northwest Coastal - Click here for "Live From/Patter"
Ruby Princess May 2016 Northwest Coastal - Click here for "Live From/Patter"
Crown Princess Jan 2016 West Coast Getaway - Click here for "Live From/Patters"
Regal Princess Dec 2015 Eastern Caribbean
Ruby Princess Sept 2015 West Coast
Caribbean Princess Dec 2014 Eastern/Western Carib B2B
Crown Princess June 2014 Alaska Northbound
Carnival Liberty Thanksgiving 2008
Carnival Spirit 2007
Ecstasy 1996
Fantasy 1990 Maiden Voyage
Celebration 1989

League City, TX
40,029 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
As I understand it, the cruise card when used to open a cabin door did not have to be inserted into a slot, just brought near the detection device on the door.

Do you know what was the situation with slot machines? Insert the card into a slot or bring it near a detection device?

Thanks
203 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Hello CCers! Welcome to another of my photo-rich LIVE From instalments.
It's still a few days till we cruise, but I thought I'd start with our trip and adventures in Rome before we board.
I'll be concentrating on pics aboard the ship so people can see what she's like, rather than the ports.
This is our first Med cruise, and we're super excited. Although some of the changes aboard the Majestic aren't to our liking (RIP Crooners!) I'm sure we'll still have a great time.
Stay tuned!
Steve.
Thank you for your review. I especially enjoyed your sharing the dinner menus and pictures. I understand it was a 7 night cruise but only saw 6 dinner menus. Did I miss one or is that all you posted? Thanks.
San Francisco
3,744 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Any chance if one can use the plug behind the TV? On some Princess staterooms this is possible.

Thanks for posting your thoughts & photos. I've done the same myself & am aware of the time involved. Especially since you can't post more than 6 at one time.

Tom😀
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

USS Coral Sea, CVA 43, 1966-1967
Toronto, Canada
663 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
Originally posted by trbarton
Any chance if one can use the plug behind the TV? On some Princess staterooms this is possible.
Since the TVs are wall-mounted on the Royal, Regal, and Majestic, I don't think I could see a way to get at the plug.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Majestic Princess April 2017 Rome-Barcelona - Click here for "Live From/Patters"
Regal Princess December 2016 Eastern Caribbean - Click here for "Live From/Patters"
Royal Princess BVE December 2016 Ft. Lauderdale - Click here for "Live From/Patter"
Coral Princess BVE November 2016 Ft. Lauderdale - Click here for "Live From/Patter"
Ruby Princess September 2016 Northwest Coastal - Click here for "Live From/Patter"
Crown Princess September 2016 Northwest Coastal - Click here for "Live From/Patter"
Carnival Spirit 2007
Ecstasy 1996
Celebration 1989

Toronto, Canada
663 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
Originally posted by caribill
As I understand it, the cruise card when used to open a cabin door did not have to be inserted into a slot, just brought near the detection device on the door.

Do you know what was the situation with slot machines? Insert the card into a slot or bring it near a detection device?

Thanks

Sorry, didn't look at a slot machine close enough to see if they had card slots or RFID readers.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Spirit 2007
Ecstasy 1996
Celebration 1989

Toronto, Canada
663 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
Originally posted by HleeCruiser
Thank you for your review. I especially enjoyed your sharing the dinner menus and pictures. I understand it was a 7 night cruise but only saw 6 dinner menus. Did I miss one or is that all you posted? Thanks.

Very astute of you! I did miss taking menu pics the second night, when our table was reassigned.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Spirit 2007
Ecstasy 1996
Celebration 1989

203 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Very astute of you! I did miss taking menu pics the second night, when our table was reassigned.

Thanks for your reply. We like to plan our nights in the specialty restaurants around the offerings in the MDR so we do not miss the items we really like. I.E. Lobster, Filets etc.
1 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Hello CCers! Welcome to another of my photo-rich LIVE From instalments.

It's still a few days till we cruise, but I thought I'd start with our trip and adventures in Rome before we board.

I'll be concentrating on pics aboard the ship so people can see what she's like, rather than the ports.

This is our first Med cruise, and we're super excited. Although some of the changes aboard the Majestic aren't to our liking (RIP Crooners!) I'm sure we'll still have a great time.

Stay tuned!

Steve.

Was Toulon one of your ports? If so, did you dock in Toulon itself or in La Seyne-sur-mer across the bay instead?

Inland Empire, CA
10,088 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by PJW888
Was Toulon one of your ports? If so, did you dock in Toulon itself or in La Seyne-sur-mer across the bay instead?

Three years ago the Regal docked in La Seyne-sur-Mer.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruise: 11/17 - Ruby Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 09/18 - Golden Princess - Hawaii, Tahiti & South Pacific Crossing
Past Cruises: 11/16 - Pacific Princess - Adriatic & Aegean Connoisseur; 12/15 - Pacific Princess - 50th Anniversary Mexican Riviera; 2/15 - Crown Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Santa Barbara; 09/14 - Regal Princess - Grand Med (Left cruise in Mykonos after 6 days due to family medical issue at home); 03/14 - Grand Princess - 10 Day Mexico from SF; 01/14 - Sapphire Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 06/13 - Emerald Princess - Baltic; 01/13 - Island Princess - Panama Canal; 09/12 - Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal; 09/12 - Golden Princess - Inside Passage (B2B Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm); 09/11 - Sapphire Princess - California Coastal; 04/11 - Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera; 08/10 - Coral Princess - Voyage of the Glaciers; 03/10 - Star Princess - Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (The Shortened Post Earthquake Cruise); 02/10 - Star Princess - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso around Cape Horn (the Chilean Earthquake Cruise); 10/09 - Golden Princess - Hawaii; 11/07 - Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera; 02/07 - Grand Princess - Western Caribbean from Galveston; 04/06 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal RT from FLL; 10/04 - Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer from San Juan; 05/02 - Carnival Fantasy - Bahamas (3 Night)
Hamilton Twp, NJ
372 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Thanks so much for your post! A friend and I just booked the Majestic for Feb 2019 going to Australia and NZ. I hope they tweak the ship a little for Australia.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
San Francisco
45 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Terrific review - thank you for sharing your time, photos, and internet minutes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed:
Golden Princess 7-21-2015: Alaska Inside Passage w/Glacier Bay
Grand Princess 3-26-2016: California Coastal
Grand Princess 11-23-2016: SF to Hawaii (w/bonus days in Honolulu + flight home)
San Francisco
3,744 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Someone who recently got off the Majestic says that you can access the space behind the TV to reach an additional plug.

Tom😎
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

USS Coral Sea, CVA 43, 1966-1967
Atlanta
149 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Originally posted by caribill

Thanks

You must insert the card. If you are sailing soon, would you please retrieve some $$$$ I inadvertently left in the Dancing Drums slot machine?

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

5 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Thank you so much for taking time to do this review it's great seeing a cruiser's prospective, you increased my excitement for our first time cruise in March 18 from Singapore to Shanghai, we are very much looking forward to it!!!!
A small town in NC
460 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
My final thoughts...

Did we have a good time? Absolutely!

Would we sail the Majestic again? No. While I have no doubt she will be a hit in the Chinese market, I would choose a different Princess ship given the choice. I'm not sure how she'll go over with the Australians in a year and a half.

If anyone has any further questions, let me know.

Would you please elaborate on why you would not sail on Majestic again?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
July 2016 - Carnival Valor Graduation Cruise with Granddaughter
January 2016 - Royal Brilliance of the Seas, Western Caribbean
August 2014 - Celebrity Eclipse, Norwegian Fjords
December 2013 - Emerald Princess, Southern Caribbean Medley
June 2012 - Alaska CruiseTour, Coral Princess
November 2010 - Bahamas, Carnival Glory