Questions about Eurodam to Alaska with a Teen

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:20 PM.
#1
Bellingham, WA
550 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Hi all - we are heading to Alaska soon with our 13-year-old in tow and she is very nervous about making friends on the ship. I would love to hear from anyone who traveled with teens, and if you have any pics of the teen areas or even their scheduled activities please share. I'm encouraging her to at least go to the teen meet 'n greet which I hear is the first day of the cruise? Also any other tips for cruising with a teen - such as how to keep in touch with her on the ship, "rules" for personal safety, etc. Thank you so much!
#2
Katy, Texas
58 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Curious to read the replies to this too. We have our 13 yr old daughter too. We will be on the eurodam on the 17th of June. She is too shy to go the teen club on her own so it will most likely be just the 3 of us together all the time. Which we enjoy anyways, I just hope she isn't too bored with us. I don't think it will be a problem since there is really only 1 true sea day. Glacier Bay should have us pretty busy and then the last day to Victoria I think we will be resting up from our intensive port days.

I did tell her we would go with her if she wanted to at least check out the Teen Club, so we shall see!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#3
Cincinnati, OH
87 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
We are taking an almost 13 year old in July. I've told all three of my kids (7, 11, and the 13) that they need to go for at least an hour of the 7pm meet-up on the first night. While we haven't cruised HAL, we have cruised before and that first night is key. The counselors work hard to make a community quickly and if they skip that night, it's much harder to break into the group.
#4
Montgomery County, Maryland
3,986 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Definitely encourage them to go the first night. That way they can participate in scavenger hunts, etc.

My son is 8.5 & can't wait for camp!
#5
31 Posts
Joined May 2016
I hate to be that person.. My 14 yo hated it. But his was a combination of being super seasick, and WiFi withdrawal. 😂 We went to Alaska last summer, and he was a mess. He's never been motion sick before, and he's been traveling since he was a baby. None of us expected him to get so sick. He was miserable the whole trip. However, my 11 year old daughter had an amazing time. She made tons of friends, did all the activities, went to all the shows with my mother. She had more fun then the rest of us put together.

This year we are doing a 14 day cruise. I told my oldest to bring his scholarship essay to work on, and I bought him a bigger memory card for his phone for music and games. We are bringing books, cards, games and most importantly, meds. 😂
#6
Bellingham, WA
550 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by cheeto
Curious to read the replies to this too. We have our 13 yr old daughter too. We will be on the eurodam on the 17th of June. She is too shy to go the teen club on her own so it will most likely be just the 3 of us together all the time. Which we enjoy anyways, I just hope she isn't too bored with us. I don't think it will be a problem since there is really only 1 true sea day. Glacier Bay should have us pretty busy and then the last day to Victoria I think we will be resting up from our intensive port days.

I did tell her we would go with her if she wanted to at least check out the Teen Club, so we shall see!
Cheeto - We're on the same exact cruise! I wonder if our daughters would be interested in meeting (FB or Snapchat?) before the trip...?
#7
Bellingham, WA
550 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by Moparop
We are taking an almost 13 year old in July. I've told all three of my kids (7, 11, and the 13) that they need to go for at least an hour of the 7pm meet-up on the first night. While we haven't cruised HAL, we have cruised before and that first night is key. The counselors work hard to make a community quickly and if they skip that night, it's much harder to break into the group.
Thank you - I've told her the same so hopefully she'll go the first night at least for a bit. I figure the counselors have experience with icebreaker games and such. I did offer to go with her but of course that made her more horrified.
#8
Bellingham, WA
550 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by Mamascott
I hate to be that person.. My 14 yo hated it. But his was a combination of being super seasick, and WiFi withdrawal. 😂 We went to Alaska last summer, and he was a mess. He's never been motion sick before, and he's been traveling since he was a baby. None of us expected him to get so sick. He was miserable the whole trip. However, my 11 year old daughter had an amazing time. She made tons of friends, did all the activities, went to all the shows with my mother. She had more fun then the rest of us put together.

This year we are doing a 14 day cruise. I told my oldest to bring his scholarship essay to work on, and I bought him a bigger memory card for his phone for music and games. We are bringing books, cards, games and most importantly, meds. 😂
I didn't even think about seasickness - we did a Mexican Riviera cruise with her several years ago and she was fine. But lately she's been prone to carsickness on long rides. Was dramamine or anything else helpful to your son?
#9
Katy, Texas
58 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by TMJplus1
Cheeto - We're on the same exact cruise! I wonder if our daughters would be interested in meeting (FB or Snapchat?) before the trip...?
I will definitely ask her tonight. I will let you know.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#10
Cincinnati, OH
87 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Originally posted by TMJplus1
I didn't even think about seasickness - we did a Mexican Riviera cruise with her several years ago and she was fine. But lately she's been prone to carsickness on long rides. Was dramamine or anything else helpful to your son?


We used Bonine with my son. It's supposed to be less drowsy.
#14
New Mexico
4,658 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by TMJplus1
Hi all - we are heading to Alaska soon with our 13-year-old in tow and she is very nervous about making friends on the ship. I would love to hear from anyone who traveled with teens, and if you have any pics of the teen areas or even their scheduled activities please share. I'm encouraging her to at least go to the teen meet 'n greet which I hear is the first day of the cruise? Also any other tips for cruising with a teen - such as how to keep in touch with her on the ship, "rules" for personal safety, etc. Thank you so much!
Here is a link to the teen activities that I have scanned on previous cruises which should be typical of what to expect.

I am just off the Noordam to Alaska and only saw teens at dinner. The ones that I spoke to loved Club HAL and spent all of their time there.

You can leave sticky notes on your stateroom door and leave voice messages on the stateroom phone letting each other know where to meet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Photo Reviews -OR--Menus, On Locations, and More

Oosterdam - Alaska - May 2008 (7 days)
Westerdam - Alaska - May 2009 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Eastern & Southern) - Feb 2010 (14 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2010 (7 days)
Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera - April 2011 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska - Sep 2011 (B2B 14 days)
Noordam - Caribbean Seafarer - Mar 2012 (11 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2012 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Southern) - Dec 2012 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska - May 2013 (B2B 14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal Sunfarer- Nov 2013 (10 days)
Westerdam - Alaska - Jul 2014 (B2B 4 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Dec 2014 Caribbean - (East-West 14 days)
Noordam - Pacific Coastal - May 2015 (5 days)
Noordam - Alaska - May 2015 (B2B 14 days)

Oosterdam - Southern Caribbean - Nov 2015
(11 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Pacific Coastal - Apr 2016 (5 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska Inside Passage - April 2016 (B2B 14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal - Nov 2016 (10 days)
Noordam - Alaska - Jun 2017 (Northbound includes Denali) (12 days)
Veendam - Caribbean - Dec 2017 (14 days)
Zaandam - Alaska - May 2017 (14 days)

Nieuw Statendam - Caribbean - Jan 2019 (14 days)





#15
1,892 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Our granddaughters loved Club HAL! (10,13,15). They instantly made friends they wanted to have lunch with,etc. No worries!


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jan and Chris

http://www.quiltingjan.smugmug.com recent travel photos





Jan. 15, 2017 Zuiderdam Panama Canal 10 days***
July 10, 2016 AK cruise on Celebrity Infinity***
June 25, 2016 Family AK cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam 7 days***
Feb. 19, 2016 Oosterdam Caribbean 21 days***July 25, 2015 Voyage of the Vikings 35 days***Feb. 21, 2015 Veendam Panama Canal 14 days***Feb. 7, 2015 Westerdam Caribbean Gertrude Byrne Celtic Music Charter 7 days***Jan. 31, 2015 Westerdam Caribbean 7 days***Jan. 26, 2014 Ryndam Caribbean 21 days***Sept. 8, 2013 Viking Skadi 14 days River Cruise, Budapest to Amsterdam***March 30, 2013 Oosterdam NZ, AU, Pacific Island, HI to Seattle 37 days***April 27, 2012 Panama Canal Cruise, FL to San Diego on the Statendam 16 days (4* Mariners!!!!)***January 6, 2012 Veendam Valparaiso to Buenos Aires, including "drive by" of Antarctica (and side trip to Iguazu Falls) 18 days***May 13, 2011 Prinsendam Ft. Lauderdale to Amsterdam and Nordkapp 45 days***Aug. 19, 2010 Eurodam Amsterdam to NYC via North 18 days***Sept. 17, 2008 Zuiderdam Mediterranean 24 days***May 25, 2008 Volendam Alaska Southbound 7 days***May 16, 2008 Veendam Alaska Northbound 7 days***Aug. 3, 2005 Volendam Alaska Glacier Bay 7 days***Feb. 5, 2000 Ryndam Western Caribbean 7 days***Nov. 28, 1994 Maasdam Panama Canal 14 days***Feb. 2, 1994 Maasdam Western Caribbean 10 days***
#16
New Mexico
4,658 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Crew News
Here is a link to the teen activities that I have scanned on previous cruises which should be typical of what to expect.

I am just off the Noordam to Alaska and only saw teens at dinner. The ones that I spoke to loved Club HAL and spent all of their time there.

You can leave sticky notes on your stateroom door and leave voice messages on the stateroom phone letting each other know where to meet.
Forgot the link:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com...ties-examples/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Photo Reviews -OR--Menus, On Locations, and More

Oosterdam - Alaska - May 2008 (7 days)
Westerdam - Alaska - May 2009 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Eastern & Southern) - Feb 2010 (14 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2010 (7 days)
Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera - April 2011 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska - Sep 2011 (B2B 14 days)
Noordam - Caribbean Seafarer - Mar 2012 (11 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2012 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Southern) - Dec 2012 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska - May 2013 (B2B 14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal Sunfarer- Nov 2013 (10 days)
Westerdam - Alaska - Jul 2014 (B2B 4 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Dec 2014 Caribbean - (East-West 14 days)
Noordam - Pacific Coastal - May 2015 (5 days)
Noordam - Alaska - May 2015 (B2B 14 days)

Oosterdam - Southern Caribbean - Nov 2015
(11 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Pacific Coastal - Apr 2016 (5 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska Inside Passage - April 2016 (B2B 14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal - Nov 2016 (10 days)
Noordam - Alaska - Jun 2017 (Northbound includes Denali) (12 days)
Veendam - Caribbean - Dec 2017 (14 days)
Zaandam - Alaska - May 2017 (14 days)

Nieuw Statendam - Caribbean - Jan 2019 (14 days)





#17
NM Northern Mts
3,946 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
We took 3 grandkids to Alaska, 15, 13 and 11. The oldest stuck close to us, wanted to do more adult things, but the younger two did Club HAL most of the time, made friends and had fun. But the MOST successful activity was swimming!! They loved being in the pool even if the weather outside the covered roof was cold or rainy.

Rules: #1. Don't fall off the ship! So no climbing on railings, Period. Not to get a better picture, not to tease your sister, not to dare someone.... feet only on the deck or a deck chair. They were very good about this one.
#2 No going into anyone else's cabin without one of us (Grandma or Grandpa). We explained it's like going into a stranger's house. Never became an issue.
#3 Let us know where you are going on the ship, leave a note or a phone message. This was a little harder but it all worked well.
#4 We have dinner together, unless other arrangements are made ahead of time, which were never needed.

Our kids spent a lot of time enjoying the scenery, looking for wildlife, sharing binoculars, trying new foods... they loved the variety of foods!
Enjoy! m--
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Maureen --
Carnival Spirit - Alaska 09/2003 , Regal Princess - Panama Canal 1 2/2004, Norwegian Sun - W Caribbean 12/2005 B2B, HAL Maasdam - S Caribbean 12/2006, Diamond Princess - Hawaii 12/2007, HAL Ryndam - Sea of Cortez 04/2008, Carnival Sprit/HAL Oosterdam B2B Mex Rivieria 12/08, HAL Volendam - Alaska 05/2009 , HAL Amsterdam - Panama Canal Dec 2009,Princess - Med/TA Ruby Princess 10/2010, Celebrity Constellation - Caribbean 3/2011, Carnival Liberty - Caribbean 4/2011 , Maasdam - Caribbean 3/2012, Star Princess - Hawaii 11/2012, Carnival Splendor - SA 'Round the Horn 2/2013, HAL Volendam - LA to Sydney 9/2013, Celebrity Solstice Australia to New Zealand 11/2013, Ocean Princess Society Islands and Tahiti to Hawaii B2B 1/2014., Hurtigruten Midnatsol - N orway W Coast 10/2014, Viking Embla - Rhine, Main, Danube 11/2014, HAL Maasdam - W TA 11/2014, HAL Nieuw Amsterdam -E Med 9/2015, Norwegian Jade - TA 19/2015, HAL Amsterdam - Tales of the South Pacific 9/30/2016. Next up: HAL Veendam - Atlantic Adventurer Med 10/20/2017
#18
466 Posts
Joined May 2010
I just got off the Zaandam with a 13 year old. Couldn't keep him out of the Loft for teens. He loved it and made lots of friends.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

1992 Nordic Prince
1993 The Norway
1995 Noordam
1997 Noordam
1998 Ryndam
1999 Noordam
2001 Volendam
2003 Volendam
2004 Maasdam
2006 Caribbean Princess
2007 Regal Princess - Hawaii
2008 Volendam - Alaska
2010 Noordam
2012 Oosterdam - Australia/New Zealand/Solar Eclipse
2013 Prinsendam - European Explorer
2014 Veendam - Canada/New England
2015 Prinsendam - Celtic & Gaelic Explorer
2016 Nieuw Amsterdam - Panama Canal

2017 Zaandam - Alaska
2018 Prinsendam - Holy Land/Ancient Kingdoms Explorer
#19
32 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Just got off the Eurodam with two teenage boys 15 and 18. They did not go to the teens club at all but we all had a great time together. We all went together to the food demos and spent a lot of time playing games. Eurodam has many more board games than other lines and we took advantage of it. They also enjoyed playing ping pong and all the food. i allow them a lot of freedom on the ship since they can't go far. We would meet up once in awhile and then go our separate ways. We did eat dinner together and do excursions together. A lot of bonding time. My one son did take bonine most of the trip to prevent seasickness.