Pacific Jewel vs Pacific Dawn

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:12 AM.
1,533 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
We've been on the Sun and the Pearl and we're trying to figure out which P&O ship to sail on next. I know on the outside the two ships are pretty much identical. However, there are a few differences. I know the Dawn is going into drydock for 2 weeks in April (I'm assuming with 2 weeks, they'll make quite a few upgrades, maybe bring some stuff in line with the Pearl & Jewel). What are the good points and bad points of each ship? Which one would you recommend we sail on next? Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

SHIPS I'VE SAILED ON...
1983 - ORIANA - SOUTH PACIFIC
1985 - ORIANA - SINGAPORE TO FREMANTLE
1989 - CANBERRA - WORLD CRUISE
2011 - PACIFIC SUN - SOUTH PACIFIC
2011 - PACIFIC PEARL - NEW ZEALAND
2012 - CARNIVAL SPIRIT - HONOLULU TO SYDNEY
2013 - RHAPSODY OF THE SEAS - SOUTH PACIFIC
2014 - SEA PRINCESS - BRISBANE TO SYDNEY
2014 - CARNIVAL LEGEND - SHORT CRUISE
2014 - MARINER OF THE SEAS - SINGAPORE TO SINGAPORE
2015 - PACIFIC JEWEL - CORAL COAST DISCOVERY
2015 - PACIFIC EDEN - SHORT CRUISE
2016 - EXPLORER OF THE SEAS - NEW ZEALAND
2017 - RADIANCE OF THE SEAS - QUEENSLAND COAST
2018 - OVATION OF THE SEAS - TASMANIA

SHIPS I'VE INSPECTED...
2013 - CELEBRITY SOLSTICE
2013 - VOYAGER OF THE SEAS
2014 - DIAMOND PRINCESS
2014 - RADIANCE OF THE SEAS
2014 - QUEEN MARY 2
2014 - COSTA DELIZIOSA
2014 - VOLENDAM
2015 - CELEBRITY SOLSTICE
2015 - EXPLORER OF THE SEAS
Brisbane
4,730 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by finetuneit
We've been on the Sun and the Pearl and we're trying to figure out which P&O ship to sail on next. I know on the outside the two ships are pretty much identical. However, there are a few differences. I know the Dawn is going into drydock for 2 weeks in April (I'm assuming with 2 weeks, they'll make quite a few upgrades, maybe bring some stuff in line with the Pearl & Jewel). What are the good points and bad points of each ship? Which one would you recommend we sail on next? Thanks!
For me, it's got to be Dawn.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Christmas & New Year South Pacific (12 nights)

__________________________________________________ ___

Pacific Sky, Pacific Star (2), Pacific Sun (5), Pacific Dawn (4), Pacific Jewel, Pacific Pearl (2), Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Solstice, Rhapsody of the Seas, Aurora (2)
trinity park. Cairns
1,791 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Dawn for me too.

kind regards, Lorraine
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
countries visited...New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Papua/New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Fiji, American Samoa, Western Samoa, New Zealand, Tonga, Cook Islands, Tahiti,( Hawaii, Alaska, California in United States), Canada. Singapore, Malaysia,
Indonesia.
Queensland
6,787 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
I haven't been on the Jewel, but have read lots from pax who have. I know I love the Dawn - find her open and easy to get around. It's great to be able to walk from the MDR at the stern to the theatre at the bow without having to navigate through bars/lounges etc. There always seems to be plenty of room. And, of course, the Dome is great to relax and gaze out on the sea (until the loud music starts in the evenings).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandy
Every survival kit should include a sense of humour

Past Cruises
Monowai - Sydney to Auckland; Monowai - Auckland to Sydney; Strathmore - Nuku'alofa, Suva, Noumea; Himalaya - Rabaul, Manila, Hong Kong, Yokohama, Kobe; Flavia - Sydney to Southampton via Suez; Flavia - Southampton to Sydney via Panama
Pacific Dawn - White Cloud Wonders - NZ - 20 Feb 2010
Pacific Dawn - Week Fantastique - 12 Jun 2010
Pacific Dawn - White Cloud Wonders - NZ - 26 Feb 2011
Pacific Dawn – Island Adventures - 3 Sep 2011
Sun Princess - New Zealand Discovery - 16 Feb 2012
Pacific Dawn - Island Gems - 4 Sep 2012
Sun Princess - New Zealand - 4 Mar 2013
Sun Princess - Fijian Jewels - 18 Mar 2013
Pacific Dawn - PNG - 16 Nov 2013
Pacific Dawn - Food & Wine - 26 Nov 2013
Sea Princess - Aotearoa - 13 March 2014
Pacific Dawn - Qld Coast - 23 August 2014
Sea Princess - Fiji, Vila, Isle of Pines - 10 Feb 2015
Sun Princess - New Zealand - 11 Oct 2015
Sea Princess - Brisbane-Sydney - 8 April 2016
Sea Princess - Nuku'alofa, Apia, Hawaii, Tahiti - 10 April 2016
Sun Princess - Brisbane - Sydney - 3 March 2017
Sun Princess - Round Australia - 5 March 2017
Sun Princess - South Pacific - 10 August 2017
782 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Although I have not been on the Jewel, the Pacific Dawn has spas at the back of the ship which is lovely to go in with a cocktail and watch the island dissapear, Dawn also has the Dome for entertaining with a lovely outlook.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Oriana 1983
Pacific Fairstar 1993
Pacific Fairstar 1996
Pacific Sky 2005 P510 7 night cruise
Pacific Star 2006 R627 Island Indulgence 10 nights
Pacific Sun 2007 N728 11 night cruise
Pacific Dawn 2008 Explorer Cruise
Pacific Sun Flowers of Asia Cruise 4thJan 2010
Rhapsody of the seas 4th april 2011 Island Cruise
Legend of the Seas 5th October Asia
Rhapsody of the Seas 2nd april 2012 11 nights cruise cancelled
Rhapsody of the Seas 16th February 2012 14 nights
Splendour of the Seas June 2013 Eastern Mediterranean
Diamond Princess January 2014 New Zealand
Sapphhire Princess 28th Feb 2015 Asia
Pacific Jewel 3 night cruise 10th December 2015
QM2 Brisbane to Hong Kong 16 nights 13th March 2016
Radiance of the Seas 7 nights 24th October Aust.
Celebrity Solstice 8 nights 4th Jan 2016 Pacific Islands
Cruises to come:
Sapphire Princess 28 nights 28th March 2018
sydney australia
5 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
we love the old pacific jewel she is a great older type ship going on pacific dawn in two weeks time so will be able to compare having said that we feel the sun princess is superior in many ways and the golden princess and diamond princess are a cut above them our most loved ships beside the golden and diamond are the voyager of the seas and exployer of the seas BUT most ships have their own things that apeal to different people cruises are what u make them to be its all up to the individual... going on majestic princess next year cannot wait to see whats she is like happy cruising every one
10 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Originally posted by Royalty X
We have done both and the Dawn won hands down. Felt better, looked better, easier to get around, I feel as though the Jewel had been messed with and not for the better. If the Dawn has been docked recently I suspect it will add a few fresh changes that hopefully make it even better. Happy sailing whatever you decide.
Vic, 'Straya
77 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
I have just booked a cruise today for my Mum and I on the Dawn for a short 4 night cruise to the Whitsundays on the 29th August. It's Mum's first cruise so I'm hoping she gets bitten by the cruising bug!

I was on the Jewel last year and liked it so I'm looking forward to seeing what the Dawn has to offer!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
227 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
One of the best things about the Dawn is the Cruise Director Willie he is a real character. Also nothing better then being in the Dome Deck 14 to watch the ship make its way out of the Brisbane River and out into Moreton Bay.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
8 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
We have just come off the newly refurbished Pac Dawn. It is lovely. Having done 6 trips on her before she was getting tatty and old hat. But now she is quite modern. They have added an on board app for your smart phones (go to flight mode so data free) this means you can text each other were you are and not wait and it has 'Daily whats on'. One pool has been turned into a wonderful kids water park. The new pantry style of eatery is very easy. All public areas tropical/bali style furnished light and modern. Cabins no changes but could do with it at some stage (never in them anyway!)

Pac Eden and Pac Aria have a luxurious feel as they still retain some decor from the Holland America line they were purchased from hence the roof that closes over the pool. The cabins -linens/king pillows, shower over bath, Elemis toiletries are lovely (we get ocean view obstructed cabins) Be aware that this ships ocean view cabins on deck 6 do have the promenade deck going past your window.

In a nutshell Pac Dawn a firm favourite especially if you have teenage/young kids. Aria and Eden still good for all but are smaller ships and dont have that young hip feel if thats what you want.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MV Atolls Enterprise -Solomon Islands Coastal Freighter 5nt
P&O Fairstar -Vanuatu/fiji 7nt
P&O Pacific Sky -Vanuatu/Lifou 9nt
P&O Pacific Star - Cairns 7nt
P&O Pacific Dawn - Vanuatu/New Caledonia 11nt
P&O Pacific Dawn - Vanuatu/New Caledonia 11nt
P&O Pacific Dawn -Pentecost/Santo/Wala/Vila/Mystery/New Caledonia 11nt
P&O Pacific Jewel - Noumea/Mare/Vila 7nt
P&O Pacific Dawn - Noumea/Lifou/Vila 7nt
P&O Pacific Dawn - Moreton Island 3nt