NCL needs new itineraries for Caribbean

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:52 PM.
Montreal Canada
7,032 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
please change ports around ...Nassau etc getting really old
Bring back Southern Caribbean with ABC islands
I eant to keep going on NCL but some itineraries are boring and expensive
Time to rethink ...replan ..make them more interesting
17,665 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Knowing the distances involved where do you propose that they sail from and how long do you want the cruises to be?

There are plenty of options for other than NCL that visit different places in the Caribbean, but they are on much smaller ships than anything in the NCL fleet. As an example we have a cruise in December that roundtrips from Bridgetown Barbados. Numerous times we have round tripped from St. Thomas, and San Juan. The key is booking the luxury lines.
New hampshire
99 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Nassau is terrible. Went once in March, and that was one time too many. Trying an eastern Caribbean itiniery in November. Has to be better than Nassau, I hope. I agree, NCL should drop it. If we ever cruise and it stops at Nassau, we will just stay on the ship.
Ontario, Canada
2,340 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by zqvol
Knowing the distances involved where do you propose that they sail from and how long do you want the cruises to be?

There are plenty of options for other than NCL that visit different places in the Caribbean, but they are on much smaller ships than anything in the NCL fleet. As an example we have a cruise in December that roundtrips from Bridgetown Barbados. Numerous times we have round tripped from St. Thomas, and San Juan. The key is booking the luxury lines.

Your comment about small ships going to the ABCs and southern itineraries isn't correct, we were on RCCL's Anthem of the Seas in January out of NJ and went to Antigua, Martinique and Barbados amongst other ports. It is very difficult to find a NCL cruise to any of these ports.
I do agree NCL needs some new ports to keep us platinum cruisers interested

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:

Anthem of the Seas 2-1-2017 12 day Eastern and Southern Caribbean

Completed:

NCL Sun 1-1-2011 Eastern Carribean
NCL Star 1-1-2012 Western Caribbean
NCL Jewel 30-12-12 Florida and Bahamas
Disney Dream 14-3-13 Bahamas
NCL Breakaway 9-3-2014 Florida and Bahamas
NCL Gem 22-12-2014 12 day Christmas and New Year's
NCL Pride of America 28-3-2015 with a week in Kona
NCL Star 31-1-2016 Western Caribbean
NCL Breakaway 13-3-2016

Land trips to Italy, Portugal, Spain, Egypt, Colombia, Venezuela, Jamaica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, most of the eastern US and all the Canadian provinces.
Patriot Nation
4,727 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Try Cuba.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Platinum +
The cure for anything is salt water .
Sweat, Tears,or
The Sea !!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. ~Mark Twain

NCL Dream Bermuda June2008
NCL Dream Bermuda Oct. 2008
NCL Spirit Bermuda Sept. 2009
NCL Spirit Boston to Quebec Sept.2009
NCL Spirit Quebec to Boston Oct. 2009
NCL Spirit Bermuda June 2010
NCL Sun W. Caribbean Nov.2010
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 2011
NCL Dawn Bermuda Oct. 2011
NCL Dawn Bermuda June 8th 2012
NCL Dawn Bermuda June 22 2012
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept 2012
NCL Dawn Boston to Quebec Oct. 2012
NCL Dawn Quebec to Boston Oct. 2012
NCL Dawn Western Caribbean Apr. 14th 2013
NCL Dawn North bound Repo Apr. 21st 2013
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 2013
NCL Dawn South bound Repo Nov. 2013
NCL Dawn Bermuda July 11 2014
NCL Dawn Boston to Quebec Sept. 12 2014
NCL Dawn Quebec to Boston Sept. 19 2014
NCL Dawn Bermuda Oct. 10 2014
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 4 2015
NCL Dawn Bermuda August 26th 2016
NCL Dawn Bermuda June 9th 2017
Do not be afraid of dying, be afraid of not living life to it's fullest !
PA
8,395 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
Originally posted by mmemichele
You need to look closer.There are a lot of new itineraries. We are on the Jade this October to the ABC Islands. Look for repositioning cruises.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Are we there yet?
PA
8,395 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
Originally posted by B&Z's Mom
Your comment about small ships going to the ABCs and southern itineraries isn't correct, we were on RCCL's Anthem of the Seas in January out of NJ and went to Antigua, Martinique and Barbados amongst other ports. It is very difficult to find a NCL cruise to any of these ports.

It's really isn't difficult to find a NCL cruise to those ports. We just did the Breakaway to the Southern Caribbean this past January and visited Martinique and Barbados along with Dominica, St Kitts, St Maarten, St Thomas, San Juan & Tortola. We visited Antigua on the NCL Gem a few years ago.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Are we there yet?
Ontario, Canada
2,340 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by peg013
It's really isn't difficult to find a NCL cruise to those ports. We just did the Breakaway to the Southern Caribbean this past January and visited Martinique and Barbados along with Dominica, St Kitts, St Maarten, St Thomas, San Juan & Tortola. We visited Antigua on the NCL Gem a few years ago.

I believe they only do this itinerary two or three times a year though with breakaway. I know we've looked into it and it never coincided with our school vacation times. We did see Anthem and Breakaway together in many ports

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:

Anthem of the Seas 2-1-2017 12 day Eastern and Southern Caribbean

Completed:

NCL Sun 1-1-2011 Eastern Carribean
NCL Star 1-1-2012 Western Caribbean
NCL Jewel 30-12-12 Florida and Bahamas
Disney Dream 14-3-13 Bahamas
NCL Breakaway 9-3-2014 Florida and Bahamas
NCL Gem 22-12-2014 12 day Christmas and New Year's
NCL Pride of America 28-3-2015 with a week in Kona
NCL Star 31-1-2016 Western Caribbean
NCL Breakaway 13-3-2016

Land trips to Italy, Portugal, Spain, Egypt, Colombia, Venezuela, Jamaica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, most of the eastern US and all the Canadian provinces.
Bermuda
3,704 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by mmemichele
In another thread you complained that one week is too short for you!

Now, be advised that there are cruises lasting 10 plus days to the Southern Caribbean from several ports of calls - you need to look in NCL.com for them. There are several!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

NCL Norwegian BREAKAWAY 03/2017 - Florida & Bahamas from New York
NCL Norwegian JADE 10/2016 - Transatlantic from Barcelona to Tampa
NCL PRIDE OF AMERICA 03/2016 - San Francisco-Hawaiian Islands-Honolulu

NCL Norwegian ESCAPE 10/2015 - Maiden Transatlantic Crossing from Southampton England to Miami
NCL Norwegian GEM 06/2015 - Canada & New England from New York
NCL Norwegian BREAKAWAY 16/01/2015 - Two-Nighter CTN from New York
NCL Norwegian JADE 10/2014 - Greek Isles from Venice Italy
NCL Norwegian SUN 01/2014 - Southern & Eastern Caribbean from Miami
NCL Norwegian GEM 12/2013 - One-Nighter CTN from New York
NCL Norwegian DAWN 03/2013 - Western Caribbean from Tampa
NCL Norwegian EPIC 10/2012 - Western Mediterranean from Rome-Barcelona & then TA to Miami - B2B
NCL Norwegian STAR 01/2012 - Western Caribbean from Tampa
NCL Norwegian EPIC 10/2011 - Transatlantic Barcelona to Miami
NCL Norwegian EPIC 08/2010 - Western & Eastern (due to Hurricane Earl) Western (again) Caribbean with Nassau - B2B from Miami
NCL Norwegian SUN 12/2009 - South America Holiday - Santiago/Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...8168&highlight=)
NCL Norwegian JADE 12/2008 - East Mediterranean Holiday from Barcelona
NCL Norwegian PEARL 03/2008 - Southern & Western Caribbean - B2B from Miami
NCL Norwegian SPIRIT 12/2006 - Southern Caribbean Holiday from New York
Hurtigruten FINNMARKEN 12/2004 - Norway - Kirkenes-Bergen-Kirkenes
Hurtigruten FINNMARKEN 07/2003 - Norway - Bergen-Kirkenes-Bergen
RCCL Enhancement of the Seas 12/1997 - Western Caribbean
Star Princess 11/1989 - Eastern Caribbean
RCCL Song of America 10/1988 - Western Caribbean
Bermuda
3,704 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by dam64
I agree too much the same western ports! We need much more southern with the new builds!
Yes, there are several! Look in NCL.com. Filter Caribbean and over 9 days.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

NCL Norwegian BREAKAWAY 03/2017 - Florida & Bahamas from New York
NCL Norwegian JADE 10/2016 - Transatlantic from Barcelona to Tampa
NCL PRIDE OF AMERICA 03/2016 - San Francisco-Hawaiian Islands-Honolulu

NCL Norwegian ESCAPE 10/2015 - Maiden Transatlantic Crossing from Southampton England to Miami
NCL Norwegian GEM 06/2015 - Canada & New England from New York
NCL Norwegian BREAKAWAY 16/01/2015 - Two-Nighter CTN from New York
NCL Norwegian JADE 10/2014 - Greek Isles from Venice Italy
NCL Norwegian SUN 01/2014 - Southern & Eastern Caribbean from Miami
NCL Norwegian GEM 12/2013 - One-Nighter CTN from New York
NCL Norwegian DAWN 03/2013 - Western Caribbean from Tampa
NCL Norwegian EPIC 10/2012 - Western Mediterranean from Rome-Barcelona & then TA to Miami - B2B
NCL Norwegian STAR 01/2012 - Western Caribbean from Tampa
NCL Norwegian EPIC 10/2011 - Transatlantic Barcelona to Miami
NCL Norwegian EPIC 08/2010 - Western & Eastern (due to Hurricane Earl) Western (again) Caribbean with Nassau - B2B from Miami
NCL Norwegian SUN 12/2009 - South America Holiday - Santiago/Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...8168&highlight=)
NCL Norwegian JADE 12/2008 - East Mediterranean Holiday from Barcelona
NCL Norwegian PEARL 03/2008 - Southern & Western Caribbean - B2B from Miami
NCL Norwegian SPIRIT 12/2006 - Southern Caribbean Holiday from New York
Hurtigruten FINNMARKEN 12/2004 - Norway - Kirkenes-Bergen-Kirkenes
Hurtigruten FINNMARKEN 07/2003 - Norway - Bergen-Kirkenes-Bergen
RCCL Enhancement of the Seas 12/1997 - Western Caribbean
Star Princess 11/1989 - Eastern Caribbean
RCCL Song of America 10/1988 - Western Caribbean
696 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by B&Z's Mom

I agree.....as we were on the Breakaway a year or so ago and did Eastern and Southern Caribbean.......Barbados, Martinique, St. Kitts, St. Maartan.....I miss the Southern ports and DO enjoy a larger ship....

And although we are booked on B2B Western and Eastern in a couple of months, we will def stay on board in many of these ports....including Nassau! I consider Nassau my packing day as it usually falls on the LAST day of the trip.
Montreal Canada
7,032 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
The problem is we have been to caribbean many many many times from SJU, New York Fll and Miami , port Canaveral .....i have cruise quite a lot ..number 53 coming up with all companies including .Costa, Princess, Royal, Celebrity , Carnival , MSc , NCL , Fathom , Holland America ....
I did do Breakaway last jan to southern caribbean ..that is true it is only offered a few times .....in winter season ..it was fine except for rough seas in and out of New York .
I like Eastern Caribbean but really ..its time for more options ...western not so much ..did not care for Jamaica or Belize or Roatan ....never felt safe there
Southern islands are my favorite ....but airfare to start there is prohibitive
I love long cruises ....btb .too
I will keep searching ....
EASTERN PA
1,679 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Originally posted by peg013
You need to look closer.There are a lot of new itineraries. We are on the Jade this October to the ABC Islands. Look for repositioning cruises.
And next October the Gem is going 14 days from NYC to New Orleans by way of San Juan, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and ABC islands
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Remember you can adjust the DSC up as high as you like simply by visiting the Customer Service Desk. You do not have to provide a reason, you do not have to love your butler.
Hilton Head area, SC
394 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
There are a couple of really nice 10-day Southern itineraries on Jade, round trip from Miami. In fact we have one booked for Dec 2018 and I can't wait! I really wanted to book one of the bigger ships for this cruise so that we would have more to do, but told myself that since we have 6 port stops in a row- this cruise would be about the destination and not so much about the ship
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Trina

Wasilla, AK
834 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
I feel like they offer more than a lot of the other lines... that's why I have two 10 days booked and I've never cruised NCL before. I chose them specifically for the Southern itineraries out of FL instead of San Juan (which I've done before on other lines).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Stephanie
FUTURE CRUISES:
Celebrity Millennium 6/2/17 Alaska Southern 7 night no kids
NCL Jade 11/6/17 Southern Caribbean 10 night no kids
NCL Sun 11/28/17 Southern Caribbean 10 night with kids

PAST CRUISES:
Celebrity x4
Carnival x11
HAL x1
Louis Cruises x1
RCCL x1
Dayton, Ohio USA
2,277 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
[quote=B&Z's Mom;53617880]Your comment about small ships going to the ABCs and southern itineraries isn't correct, we were on RCCL's Anthem of the Seas in January out of NJ and went to Antigua, Martinique and Barbados amongst other ports. It is very difficult to find a NCL cruise to any of these ports.

Not ABC islands.
Buffalo Junction, Virginia
451 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
I really wish they had not dropped Samana DR 9 day on the Gem. What a wonderful time we had. For us, it was fantastic tossing candy to the kids from horseback. Very poor but Beautiful, Beautiful place I would go to again in a heartbeat if NCL went back.
PA
1,980 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Distance from the home port is the limiting factor on 7 day cruises. For the southern Caribbean, you need to sail from San Juan or take longer itineraries.