Transatlantic / returning by air

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!


Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:05 PM.
#1
19 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Cunard used to offer a sail / fly package but apparently not now. The problem now is to get a return air ticket that is affordable -- or do I have to buy a RT ticket and throw away the return portion? Any advice. I'll be flying London-NY.
#2
Vale of Glamorgan
3,557 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
As far as I know Cunard will still book flights, are you still having problems ?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
#3
NYC
3,800 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
They still do offer sail/fly packages but if you are in the US it has to be booked by telephone or through a TA. In the UK TAs include one way flights but that involves only two airports - JFK and Heathrow. In the US you won't see flights on Cunard's booking site because we are in many different places.

If you are already booked then call Cunard and inquire.
#4
Pennsylvania
5,735 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Inexpensive one-way NYC-London flights are available with a connection. Look at IcelandAir (connect in Keflavik), Aer Lingus (connect in Dublin), or WestJet (connect in Toronto). The cheapest in late spring appears to be WestJet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
#5
Market Harborough, UK
776 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
Originally posted by Eric2005
Cunard used to offer a sail / fly package but apparently not now. The problem now is to get a return air ticket that is affordable -- or do I have to buy a RT ticket and throw away the return portion? Any advice. I'll be flying London-NY.
I have always found this possible but always done it by telephone with Cunard to arrange specific timings and days and indeed upgrades from economy. I have never had a problem and often arranged different airports e.g. arrive into Fort Lauderdale by ship and fly back from Orlando. The prices are usually very competitive - I can imagine Cunard have a very significant flight department.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Trevor Lake
#6
Brooksville FL
3,609 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Cunard Completeair is available for these 1 way cruises at reasonable rates as well as the Iceland Air and Air Lingus, previously mentioned ,which offer reasonable 1 way TA.
#7
uk
487 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
A bit off post but why not go both ways by sea. Signed done with all airports of the world.
#8
797 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by Eric2005
Cunard used to offer a sail / fly package but apparently not now. The problem now is to get a return air ticket that is affordable -- or do I have to buy a RT ticket and throw away the return portion? Any advice. I'll be flying London-NY.
We are sailing east bound QM2, spending some time in London, then flying back to Philly. We are flying biz class. I couldn't believe it when the Cunard Air quote was just a little over 20% the price quoted on the British Airways web site. Made the return air almost a bargain. By all means, call Cunard, they will gladly quote you a price, and I think you will find it not only competitive, but a relative bargain.
#9
San Francisco, CA
1,120 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Originally posted by Former Goalie
We are sailing east bound QM2, spending some time in London, then flying back to Philly. We are flying biz class. I couldn't believe it when the Cunard Air quote was just a little over 20% the price quoted on the British Airways web site. Made the return air almost a bargain. By all means, call Cunard, they will gladly quote you a price, and I think you will find it not only competitive, but a relative bargain.
For the past decade or more, we've not investigated cruise line air when booking a cruise (on any line). But hearing that Cunard air had good deals caught my eye, so I was curious about specifics.

Are you saying that Cunard's price was over 20% higher than the published fare ...and this is a bargain?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
.Mark Katzenberger

Upcoming Queen Mary 2 - RT N Atlantic crossing - 2018
Queen Mary 2 - RT crossing + Bruges - 2017, Queen Mary 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 2016, Celebrity Infinity - S. America - 2015,
Star Princess - Pacific repo - 2015, AMACello - Rhine - 2013, Norwegian Spirit - W Caribbean - 2011,
Crystal Serenity - E Med - 2010, Queen Mary 2 - Canada - 2009, Eurodam - Baltics - 2009,
Queen Mary 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 2008, Queen Elizabeth 2 - W Med - 2008, Amsterdam - Alaska - 2007,
Norwegian Sun - W Caribbean - 2007, Voyager of the Seas - Bermuda - 2005, Star Princess - Mexico - 2002,
Carnival Spirit - Pacific repo - 2001, Norwegian Majesty - S Caribbean - 2001, Rembrandt - Canada - 2000,
Seabourn Sun - SF cruise to nowhere - 2000, Queen Elizabeth 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 1999, Zenith - Bermuda - 1998,
Queen Elizabeth 2 - Panama Canal - 1997, Celebrity Century - W Caribbean - 1996, Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 1993,
Nieuw Amsterdam - Pacific repo - 1993, Crown Princess - E Caribbean - 1991, Westerdam - Mexico repo - 1990,
Queen Elizabeth 2 - Hawaii - 1989, Cunard Princess - Pacific repo - 1987
#10
1,196 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by MarkBearSF

...

Are you saying that Cunard's price was over 20% higher than the published fare ...and this is a bargain?
More than likely the other way around.....

Cunard charged us $600 for an open jaw economy ticket : 1) Baltimore to LHR, and 2) JFK to BWI.

The cost for the BWI-LHR segmant through the airline (BA) would have been $1572!

Aloha,

John
#11
797 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by MarkBearSF
For the past decade or more, we've not investigated cruise line air when booking a cruise (on any line). But hearing that Cunard air had good deals caught my eye, so I was curious about specifics.

Are you saying that Cunard's price was over 20% higher than the published fare ...and this is a bargain?
Ok, here is the quote I'm taking directly from BA booking engine. I'm factoring USD = 1.25 GBP, which would yield a price on May travel LHR to PHL of 9,429 USD A SEAT! The Cunard Air price for the same seat about one week ago (price fluctuates with currency) was 2,121 USD. That's 22.5% the cost BA direct, or a savings of 77.5%.
#12
Virginia
22,172 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
I had the same results two years ago. I was offered a really good price on the first segment of QE's world voyage but looking at the one way airfares they were about twice as much as the cruise so I almost gave up. Instead I called Cunard and they quoted me a price that was about 20% of booking on my own. They even allowed me to choose which connecting airport I wanted and allowed me to fly in a few days early. As far as I am concerned booking one way air through the cruise line is the only way to do so to get a good price.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature





My Cruise Blogs
World Voyage Blog - http://kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com/
A Winter Crossing - http://cunard2015.blogspot.com
The Sail-Away Gang's Cruise - http://westerdam2015.blogspot.com/
Fall Foliage Cruise -http://fallfoliagecruise2015.blogspot.com/
South Pacific/North to Alaska - http://halcruises2016.blogspot.com/
Around the World Again - https://2018halgwv.blogspot.com/

Evangeline - Nassau - 1960
Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt - EB TA - 1962
Queen Mary - WB TA - 1962
Raffaello - Caribbean - 1968
MV Three Gorges - Yangtze River - 1988
Atlas - Nile River - 1995
Olympic - Aegean Sea - 1996
Constellation - Baltic Sea - 2005
Disney Fantasy - Caribbean - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014
Queen Elizabeth - Southampton to Fort Lauderdale - 2015

Westerdam - FLL to Seattle with the "Sail-away Gang" - 2015
Liberty of the Seas - Canada/New England - 2015
Westerdam - Hawaii, Tahiti, and the Marquesas with the "Pearls of the Pacific" - 2016
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 2016
#14
San Miguel de Allende
14 Posts
Joined May 2013
We have flown Icelandair twice now from JFK, once to Gatwick, the other to Heathrow, both prior to a QM2 crossing.
The price in Economy Comfort was 1/3 the cost of a one-way ticket on one of the major airlines. With Economy Comfort you can check two bags and use the BA lounge at JFK prior to boarding. And the middle seat is blocked, giving you more room.
Yes, you have to change in Reykjavik, but they have the entire process down to a science - it runs like clockwork.
We just booked them again for another crossing later this year. Worth checking out.
#15
San Francisco, CA
1,120 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Thank you for the clarification!

It was my misunderstanding. I thought the 20% that you mentioned was in addition to the published fare, i.e. 120%

Thank you for explaining. Last year, we redeemed miles, and this year we're doing a RT, so we're not booking transatlantic air, BUT I certainly will ask our TA to talk to Cunard for trips in the future.

- Mark
#16
797 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by MarkBearSF
Thank you for the clarification!

It was my misunderstanding. I thought the 20% that you mentioned was in addition to the published fare, i.e. 120%

Thank you for explaining. Last year, we redeemed miles, and this year we're doing a RT, so we're not booking transatlantic air, BUT I certainly will ask our TA to talk to Cunard for trips in the future.

- Mark
Just FYI, and maybe your TA works differently than ours (we use a TA at one of the big discount cruise sellers), we had to book the air portion ourselves, calling Cunard directly. Air fare has been "non-commissionable" for many years now.
#17
Pennsylvania
5,735 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Former Goalie
Just FYI, and maybe your TA works differently than ours (we use a TA at one of the big discount cruise sellers), we had to book the air portion ourselves, calling Cunard directly. Air fare has been "non-commissionable" for many years now.
That's certainly been one of my questions in the process. If I book the cruise via a travel agent, Cunard will speak to me directly about add-on airfare?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
#18
797 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by Underwatr
That's certainly been one of my questions in the process. If I book the cruise via a travel agent, Cunard will speak to me directly about add-on airfare?
My experience is that yes, Cunard will speak directly to you about the air portion, and send any air add ons to the fare to your TA. I booked air portion back in the fall, I checked pricing a little over a week ago, pricing had gone down a little over 100 USD pp, so I had Cunard Air adjust the price. It was a bit complicated, as it was a case of cancel, then rebook. The old booking ceased to exist, and a new booking was created, with a new confirmation number. The Cunard agent then needed to select the seats we wanted, again. And, we will need to fill out the immigration info for BA, again. I'll check for price drops once again just before making final payment, if there is any worthwhile price drop, I'll cancel and rebook through Cunard. FYI, I believe the air is refundable until 45 days out, if booked through Cunard.
#19
Hampshire, England
1,549 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by BlueRiband
They still do offer sail/fly packages but if you are in the US it has to be booked by telephone or through a TA. In the UK TAs include one way flights but that involves only two airports - JFK and Heathrow. In the US you won't see flights on Cunard's booking site because we are in many different places.

If you are already booked then call Cunard and inquire.
On my return from New York JFK in December we flew to London Gatwick.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dancing above the Waves.



Diving below them.

#20
Gower Peninsula, Wales
2,975 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Originally posted by Underwatr
That's certainly been one of my questions in the process. If I book the cruise via a travel agent, Cunard will speak to me directly about add-on airfare?
Our experience was Cunard Air Support flatly refused to speak to us and simply referred us back to our TA.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gill

QV - December 2017
QE - March 2018
QM2 - April 2018
QM2 - January 2019