Have many people recieved an upgrade on a select fare?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:15 AM.
Leeds, England
23 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
We have booked a select fare on the Britannia and am not seeing any benefits so far to this. We have been given a balcony cabin number on A deck which is the minimum guaranted cabin and have since found out that they are in the shade. We cannot book the dining time and have bee put on a waiting list for the late sitting. We have cruised before with P and O but always on a saver fare, I think we should have done this as it would have been alot cheaper. If we were lucky to be upgraded could anyone tell me when we would be informed of this. We travel in 3 weeks time.
Whitley Bay, North East England
6,441 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
To be fair the benefit of select fares are to be had when booking early. Most of all very early.

However if there are any upgrades to be had you will be the ones to get them. Most likely is a better placed cabin in the same grade/cabin type.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625 Crown Princess May 17
Britannia B719 Britannia B720

To Come

Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 9
Ventura 19

Gan Canny

Dai
Staffordshire
1,026 Posts
Joined May 2011
We have always booked select but last year I forgot to tick the "no upgrade" box. Around 2 weeks before we were due to go we received an email from P&O telling us that we had been upgraded to a different balcony cabin that was 2 grades higher than our original, not what I would have chosen but it was OK when we boarded.

I hope that you get what you want.
Leeds, England
23 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
I do hope they offer us something slightly better. We also asked to be close to my brother and sister in law who are travelling with us and they are on deck F and booked at the same time and the same select fare. It is a special birthday for me as well. I suppose that there is still time!

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk
wales
125 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
I've also just booked a Select Fare for March on Brittania .
Only thing available was guarantee Balcony Deck A. Not sure how this worked but I'm guessing I could end up with a Balcony anywhere on the ship if they think its an upgrade?

Any info much appreciated.
Manchester UK
255 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
2 cruises a year and never been upgraded. I can take that, but a select fare advantage is that you're first in the queue for upgrades. Yet every cruise I'm surprised by tales at the dinner table from people who booked a saver fare three weeks before departure, and not only got the cruise far cheaper (which I don't mind if they want to book late) but they booked an inside cabin and got a balcony. One couple booked a balcony and got a suite. I don't understand how P&Os promise of 'first in line' stacks up. I haven't asked them because they never respond anyway.

It's pretty clear that you are more likely to get an upgrade if you're a new or returning (after a long break) customer. In much the same way that Virgin and Sky offer great deals to new customers and nothing for loyal customers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
125 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
We received an upgrade today for our cruise on Azura on 3rd March. We booked a select fare.
Alan
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QEII - Canaries June 1988
Carnival Ecstasy - Caribbean March 1995
Splendour of the Seas - Mediterranean June 2005
Ocean Village - Caribbean February 2006
Thomson Spirit -
Mediterranean July 2007
Sea Princess - Mediterranean July 2008
Celebrity Summit - Mediterranean May 2009
Ventura - Canaries June 2010
Thomson Celebration - Eastern Mediterranean August 2010
Ventura - Norwegian FjordsJune2011
Sapphire Princess - Alaska September 2011
Thomson Spirit - Baltics August 2012
Caribbean Princess -
British Isles July 2013
Celebrity Solstice- Australasia January 2014
Splendour of the Seas- Eastern Mediterranean June 2015
Celebrity Eclipse-Western Mediterranean August 2015
Celebrity Eclipse - Baltics June 2016

Azura -Caribbean March 2017

Upcoming Cruises
Celebrity Constellation - Holy Land October 2017
Oriana - Northern Lights February 2018

[/b]
613 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Don't always believe what people say at the dining table people love to wind others up, we have only ever been given upgrades by a couple of grades and never a different type of cabin i.e. inside to balcony I do believe P & O manage this better than people believe.
I can tell a story that I have told many times over the years as a people manager at pay review time. I worked with a guy many years ago who always used to discuss what his salary was along with a lot of other people in the team it was only when I was promoted and became his manager that I became aware of his salary which had not been what he said it was and less than mine!! we wonder why other people were dissatisfied with their salary!! the moral of the story don't discuss salary.
2015 on Britannia we sat with a couple who told a different story about upgrades than they did on the previous time we dined with them and I believe neither to be the truth and probably had a similar conversation at each meal time - just not intelligent enough to think about the audience.
It's a bit like book pay and don't look at the prices again.
Chesterfield
761 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
I, too have heard that in theory by booking a Select Fare you will be first in line for upgrades but have heard of those booking Saver Fares receiving upgrades when we have not had one by booking Select.I know it depends on what grade cabin you book etc but I suspect that P and O favour new cruisers or those who haven t sailed with them for a while. I would be interested to hear from people who cruise several times a year with them who have been upgraded, particularly moving from one cabin type e. g. inside to outside or Balcony to Suite.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Crown Princess 2011
Independence of the Seas 2012
Queen Elizabeth 2013
Oceana March 2014
Ventura October 2014
Ventura April 2015
Cruise & Maritime July 2015
Arcadia Sept 2015
Ventura Feb 2016
Emerald Princess June 2016
Arcadia October 2016
Britannia March 2017
Britannia June 2017
Azura September 2017
England
808 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
I'd be interested to know more detail from those who have received upgrades, primarily, how big an upgrade was it (is it always just one class up) and was it free or at a charge of say £100.

I wouldn't consider a 'higher' grade within the same cabin type to be an upgrade at all. For me, an upgrade is a move up from say an inside to an outside, outside to balcony, balcony to suite.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 134 nights over 11 cruises (Aurora, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 83 nights over 7 cruises (2017 - Aurora x 2, 2018 - Aurora, Arcadia, Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
Staffordshire
1,026 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by Selbourne
I'd be interested to know more detail from those who have received upgrades, primarily, how big an upgrade was it (is it always just one class up) and was it free or at a charge of say £100.

I wouldn't consider a 'higher' grade within the same cabin type to be an upgrade at all. For me, an upgrade is a move up from say an inside to an outside, outside to balcony, balcony to suite.
Hi Selbourne, Our upgrade was 2 grades in the same cabin type just a different position on the ship.

We are not new to P&O nor are we returning past cruisers, we do 3 or 4 cruises a year (mainly P&O but ocassionally Princess, Cunard or Celebrity) .
united kingdom
20 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Booked partially obstructed outside guarantee cabin on select fare for a cruise on Azura in 6 weeks time. Yep, heard today that's exactly what we got.
England
808 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by Josy1953
Hi Selbourne, Our upgrade was 2 grades in the same cabin type just a different position on the ship.

We are not new to P&O nor are we returning past cruisers, we do 3 or 4 cruises a year (mainly P&O but ocassionally Princess, Cunard or Celebrity) .
Thanks for the specifics. That's helpful. I hope that the move works for you. I'm somewhat anal about cabin position (avoiding noise disturbance etc) and choose very carefully, so if P&O moved me to the same cabin type but elsewhere I wouldn't be happy - even if their pricing structure meant that it was technically a higher grade, so deemed an upgrade in their eyes.

Friends were offered an upgrade from a Superior Deluxe Balcony to a Suite for £100, which seems like a great deal to me and I would have happily changed cabins for that upgrade!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 134 nights over 11 cruises (Aurora, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 83 nights over 7 cruises (2017 - Aurora x 2, 2018 - Aurora, Arcadia, Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
Staffordshire
1,026 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by Selbourne
Thanks for the specifics. That's helpful. I hope that the move works for you. I'm somewhat anal about cabin position (avoiding noise disturbance etc) and choose very carefully, so if P&O moved me to the same cabin type but elsewhere I wouldn't be happy - even if their pricing structure meant that it was technically a higher grade, so deemed an upgrade in their eyes.

Friends were offered an upgrade from a Superior Deluxe Balcony to a Suite for £100, which seems like a great deal to me and I would have happily changed cabins for that upgrade!
The only reason we got upgraded was because when I was booking on line I forgot to tick the no upgrade box and didn't realise until I got the upgrade email, I rang P&O but could not move back to our original cabin. We carefully choose where we like to be because I am very noise sensitive at night, as it happened because it was a pre-Christmas cruise the passengers were generally older (we felt like youngsters even though we are in our 60s) and so there was very little noise anywhere. I have learned my lesson and will double check that I have ticked no upgrade in the future.

I agree that a move to the same cabin type is not a true upgrade because my view of a better cabin is not the same as P&I'd.
2,791 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
From what I seem to have been reading those who book guarantees on select fares are the ones who seem to be upgraded first in the q.
Rather than people who pay select, chose a cabin, but say they would like to upgrade.
Kent, England
6,164 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Sometimes upgrades can not be what they seem to be. Apparently there are groups of port side? balcony cabins on Azura and Ventura that suffer noise from equipment in the nearby exhaust uptakes. P&O would not admit it and they are marked the same grade as adjacent cabins. At least one poster here has been 'upgraded' to one of these cabins.

I book select fares because I travel solo and the late bargains never seem to be available. I always book a specific cabin forward well away from the engines or near other possible sources of noise like cabins with additional berths etc.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 3
P&O Ventura x 6
P&O Oceana x 8
P&O Arcadia
P&O Britannia
P&O Aurora x 2
P&O Oriana
TUI Discovery x 2
NCL Epic

To come
Thomson Majesty 2017
P&O Oceana 2017
P&O Azura 2017
TUI Discovery 2018
TUI Explorer 2018
P&O Oceana 2018
Surrey
378 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
P&O seem to want to fill the balcony cabins, they probably reckon if they can get people in balcony cabins they would probably not want to book inside cabins. I was watching the prices on a cruise last year, about 4 weeks before the cruise there were lots of various cabins available when I went back a week later all balcony cabins were sold and only inside cabins were left and they were not cheap. The upgrade fairy must have been working overtime.

I did speak to a gentleman on a cruise who informed me that he got a bargain only booking a couple of days before the cruise. When I asked where his cabin was, he told me it was the lowest deck right next to the kitchen where you got cooking smells in the cabin all day and night and it was very noisy. Bargain or not, I would not fancy it, but he was happy.
Surrey
440 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
We were upgraded on our first P&O cruise from a superior deluxe cabin to a mid ship suite. However they have got their monies worth from us as it spoilt us and now we always book a suite. We always tick no upgrade now as we prefer the aft facing suites to the higher grade mid ship😀

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Manchester UK
255 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by Gymbod
We were upgraded on our first P&O cruise from a superior deluxe cabin to a mid ship suite. However they have got their monies worth from us as it spoilt us and now we always book a suite. We always tick no upgrade now as we prefer the aft facing suites to the higher grade mid ship

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Seems you have a better chance on your first cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Devon, uk
1,689 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Well I will fess up to an upgrade from a top graded balcony to a mini suite in 2015 on Arcadia. But, and it is a big but, I asked for it! We had a problem on our previous cruise on Azura a few months before (we lost 2 days of it due to ship breaking down) and also the select price had gone down by some £600 each since we had booked over 12 months before. So I spoke to the TA I had booked through, expressing my views about the price drop etc....and mentioned that as we were already in an EA grade cabin AND I knew that there were still mini suites available, maybe PandO might consider us for an upgrade under the select T's and C's....24 hours later , we had been upgraded.
Our friends that we were travelling with, did not however get an upgrade...not sure they have ever forgiven us...not that they knew the full story!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed on.....
P&O Arcadia (old) 2001. P&O Arcadia(new)2006. P&O Artemis 2007
Cunard QE2 2008. Cunard QV 2010. Cunard QM2 2011.
Cunard QE2013. P&O Azura 2014. P&O Azura 2015
P&O Arcadia 2015. P&O Oriana - May 2016
Riviera Travel Rhone River cruise September 2016
Adonia 2017

To come....
Fred Olsen Balmoral 2017
Northern Lights, Oriana, 2018
Eastern Med , Oriana 2018