Holland America's Westerdam Cruise Ship Emerges from Dry Dock With New Spaces

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:51 PM.
Florida
20,304 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Thanks for the info.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
We've been on
Carnival: 27 voyages 184 days
Celebrity: 3 voyages 24 days
Holland: 29 voyages 661 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages 35 days
Vantage:River 2 voyages 39 days
GRAND TOTAL: 84 Cruises 1118 days

NOT YET SAILED
Veendam Atlantic Crossing 10/17 - 49 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/18 - 113 days
Rotterdam Boston to Rotter 7/18 - 19 days
Prinsendam Amster to FTL 8/18 96 days
Zaandam Antarctic 12/18 - 22 days
Nieuw Statadam Carb. 1/19 - 7 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/19 113 days
Victoria Harbour, ON
2,588 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
I heard that new spaces had been added, it would be nice if HAL would post pictures of the new spaces.
Allan
Centerville, Ohio, USA
8,746 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
I am anxious to learn how this new Explorations Central works and the reactions to such by guests.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
52 cruises: 31 Holland America, 4 Princess, 4 Carnival, 3 Pacific Far East Line, 2 Cunard, 2 Royal Viking Line, 1 each: Celebrity Cruises, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Sitmar, American Hawaii, Home Lines
Central FL
8,734 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/we...dubrovnik.html

Looking at the Westerdam today in Croatia. Can't see anything new on the outside
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carol
Queen of Bermuda 4/65 * Carnival Festivale 1995 * AMSTERDAM Alaska 7/02 * Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas 1/05 * WESTERDAM Baltic 9/05 * NOORDAM West Mediterranean 6/06 * VEENDAM Western Caribbean 12/06 * Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas 4/07 * STATENDAM Alaska Cruise-Tour 9/07 * ZUIDERDAM Eastern Caribbean 12/07 * AMSTERDAM Panama Canal transit 4/08 * EURODAM Bahamas 10/08 * NOORDAM Southern Caribbean 12/08 * NOORDAM Southern Caribbean 12/09 * NIEUW AMSTERDAM Eastern Mediterranean 9/10 * RYNDAM Western Caribbean 12/10 * VEENDAM Bermuda 10/11 * MAASDAM Southern Caribbean 3/12 * PRINSENDAM TransAtlantic 5/13 * Disney Dream Bahamas 11/13 * EURODAM Viking Passage 8/14 * NIEUW AMSTERDAM Eastern Caribbean 12/14 * EURODAM Western Caribbean 11/15 * KONINGSDAM Bahamas 11/16 * OOSTERDAM Western Caribbean 12/16

San Diego
6,805 Posts
Joined Jun 2000
I hope the Crows Nest Bar is still there
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
HAL- 4 Stars , RCCL- Diamond , Celebrity - Elite , Princess - Elite , Carnival - Platinum , NCL - Silver
Brooklyn, NY
17,871 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
I just saw pictures of the Westerdam atrium post-drydock on Facebook and it seems very different from what it was before - looks like the crystal ship is gone now and it is more modern looking, similar to the Koningsdam's atrium.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Peter

Next: RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Koningsdam, February 11-18, 2018

RSVP February Caribbean cruises:
Caribbean Princess 2007 / Zuiderdam 2008 / Eurodam 2009 / Eurodam 2010 / Nieuw Amsterdam 2012
Eurodam 2013
/ MSC Divina 2014 / Regal Princess 2015 / Nieuw Amsterdam 2016 / Koningsdam 2017
RSVP Alaska - Amsterdam Sep 2007
RSVP Hawaii - Pride of America Oct 2010
Lewis R. French Schooner in Maine - July 2009
Labor Day Getaway (Pied Piper) - QM2 Sep 2009

Warwick, R.I. , USA
38,241 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Originally posted by Boytjie
I just saw pictures of the Westerdam atrium post-drydock on Facebook and it seems very different from what it was before - looks like the crystal ship is gone now and it is more modern looking, similar to the Koningsdam's atrium.
Remove that beautiful crystal? I wonder why.

Could it have been replaced by something that's lighter, in an effort to save fuel? I'm sure it isn't much, but every pound less is a bit of fuel saved, and it does add up.
Or is it an effort to change the focus from a traditional ship to something more contemporary?

In any case, I think it's a pity that the crystal ship is gone. I loved it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CCASE/LSSE

Chocolate is to women what duct tape is to men.
It fixes everything.
Chicagoland
2,448 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by RuthC
Remove that beautiful crystal? I wonder why.

Could it have been replaced by something that's lighter, in an effort to save fuel? I'm sure it isn't much, but every pound less is a bit of fuel saved, and it does add up.
Or is it an effort to change the focus from a traditional ship to something more contemporary?

In any case, I think it's a pity that the crystal ship is gone. I loved it.
Perhaps they are selling it on ebay?
Warwick, R.I. , USA
38,241 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Originally posted by shrimp56
Helping to keep our fares lower by selling off expensive items. Could be.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CCASE/LSSE

It fixes everything.
9 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
What do you mean by another library bites the dust? They took away the library? I hope not as they always have the best books of any cruise line! I hope I'm not a Luddite since I still love to read real books!
Tampa, Florida
3,862 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by Travella
What do you mean by another library bites the dust? They took away the library? I hope not as they always have the best books of any cruise line! I hope I'm not a Luddite since I still love to read real books!
Afraid so. What "library" remains is devoted to travel info. This is a common complaint reported by ships' staffers. Supposedly HAL is rethinking this, but it wouldn't hurt to notify Orlando Ashford of your displeasure.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email me HERE
Baltimore, Md., U.S.A.
3,661 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
You don't say. I love HAL libraries and, not knowing about what happened, just booked one of those balcony cabins on the Observation deck that the Westerdam added during the recent dry dock next to Explorations cafe and Crow's Nest.

We took the Rotterdam over Christmas/New Year. It library had not been replenished, there was no librarian, but the selection was thought-provoking. Although I read usually my Kindle, on cruises I prefer dead wood.
New Jersey
8,982 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by shrimp56
Nope, I just looked.

Are we talking about the crystal object that hangs from the ceiling, like the seahorse on Zuiderdam? Those are nice, why get rid of them? Too difficult to clean?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy
The THIRD generation in my family to sail on a Cunarder
28 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
11 QM2 - 7 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia, Canada
1 Caronia - Baltic
11 HAL -Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Alaska
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers
San Diego, CA
5,776 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Originally posted by GTVCRUISER
I hope the Crows Nest Bar is still there
Me too Gary!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Otherwise known as 'Don Quique'..
Warwick, R.I. , USA
38,241 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Originally posted by 3rdGenCunarder
Nope, I just looked.

Are we talking about the crystal object that hangs from the ceiling, like the seahorse on Zuiderdam? Those are nice, why get rid of them? Too difficult to clean?
Just speculation here, but I have two thoughts on the 'why', and they both could have come into play here.

First, crystal is not only beautiful, it's heavy. Replacing the crystal with something more lightweight could make a small difference in fuel usage. By itself, not much, sure. But when added to other reductions in weight (plastic glassware, lighter dishes), over so many ships and the course of time---it's something.

Second, those crystal objects scream 'traditional', and the Powers That Be have headed HAL off in another direction. The crystal is being replaced with something more contemporary, which accents that change.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CCASE/LSSE

It fixes everything.
FORT LAUDERDALE, FL
414 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
we sailed on the Oosterdam after its refurbishment. Appears that the Westerdam has suffered a similar redo. Library is a shape of its former self. No librarian. Ocean bar dance floor removed. Trivia has replaced mush of the music formerly playat cocktails. Now its cocktails! just returned from the Maasdam where the old (and better) HAL traditions linger sans the librarian.

HAL is betting the house on Bee Bee King.