Stopping complimentary afternoon tea in mdr?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:11 AM.
Lincolnshire
934 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
I have read on the Britannia face book page that they are now ONLY offering complimentary afternoon tea in the Horizon buffet and discontinuing the service in the MDR.
Can someone on board please confirm that this is either the case, or not, and whether it will be cascaded to all the rest of the fleet, if its true.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2006 Carnival Valor – E Caribbean
2007 Carnival Valor – W Caribbean
2008 Carnival Pride - Mexico
2009 Carnival Freedom – Costa Rica, Panama, Cozamel
2010 RCCI Liberty of the Seas - Mediterranean
2010 RCCI Oasis of the Seas – E Caribbean
2011 RCCI Allure – W Caribbean
2012 RCCI Independence of the Seas - Mediterranean
2013 RCCI Freedom of the Seas - Caribbean
2014 RCCI Adventure of the Seas – Mediterranean
2015 P&O Britannia – Canary Islands
2016 Emerald Princess - Brugge and Scandinavia
2016 P&O Britannia - Caribbean Islands
2017 P&O Ventura - August Greece and Italy
lancashire
114 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by davenew
I have read on the Britannia face book page that they are now ONLY offering complimentary afternoon tea in the Horizon buffet and discontinuing the service in the MDR.
Can someone on board please confirm that this is either the case, or not, and whether it will be cascaded to all the rest of the fleet, if its true.
Hi Davenew. We were on Britannia 7th - 19th May this year and were told mid cruise by people at our table during evening meal that the afternoon tea in the MDR had ceased. Little disappointed as we hadn't had chance to try it by the time it was discontinued. So perhaps this is being cascaded to the entire fleet.
Lincolnshire
934 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by miniyorkie
Hi Davenew. We were on Britannia 7th - 19th May this year and were told mid cruise by people at our table during evening meal that the afternoon tea in the MDR had ceased. Little disappointed as we hadn't had chance to try it by the time it was discontinued. So perhaps this is being cascaded to the entire fleet.
Thanks, it may be that they are trying to push Erin Lanlards version (which we both hate btw.))
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2006 Carnival Valor – E Caribbean
2007 Carnival Valor – W Caribbean
2008 Carnival Pride - Mexico
2009 Carnival Freedom – Costa Rica, Panama, Cozamel
2010 RCCI Liberty of the Seas - Mediterranean
2010 RCCI Oasis of the Seas – E Caribbean
2011 RCCI Allure – W Caribbean
2012 RCCI Independence of the Seas - Mediterranean
2013 RCCI Freedom of the Seas - Caribbean
2014 RCCI Adventure of the Seas – Mediterranean
2015 P&O Britannia – Canary Islands
2016 Emerald Princess - Brugge and Scandinavia
2016 P&O Britannia - Caribbean Islands
2017 P&O Ventura - August Greece and Italy
Scotland
689 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
"Take traditional tea every day. Recreate the quintessentially British tradition of high tea as you sail the high seas. Every day, the beautifully presented occasion takes place in the main restaurants across the fleet at four o’clock and is included in the price of your holiday. It’s the perfect way to bridge the gap between a light lunch and a late dinner. You’ll find a classic selection of finger sandwiches, cakes, pastries and freshly baked scones with jam and clotted cream, all served with your choice of Twinings speciality fine tea or coffee."

This is still advertised on their web site so if they have withdrawn it that is not reflected in their marketing information?

Staffordshire
1,026 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by Eglesbrech
"

This is still advertised on their web site so if they have withdrawn it that is not reflected in their marketing information?

Still being on there means nothing, P&O are notoriously slow at updating info on the website.
bristol
161 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
oh no, i really hope this isn't true (although it does sound like it is). My wife and I really enjoy afternoon tea in the MDR - it would be a real disappointment to lose this. Eric Lanlard afternoon tea is nice but too many sweet items and not enough savoury for us, plus one of the great things about MDR afternoon tea is you can just pop-in if you fancy a sandwich and a cuppa without having to prebook.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Surrey, UK
1,427 Posts
Joined May 2006
Sad, we often have this. What's next to go ?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

P&O (20): Old Arcadia, Arcadia, Aurora(2), Azura(3), Britannia(2),Oceana(2), Oriana(5), Ventura(4)
Celebrity (4): Summit, Solstice, Eclipse, Silhouette
Thomson (3): Emerald(3)
Princess (2): Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess
RCI (1): Radiance of the Seas
Holland and America (1): Eurodam
Premier Cruises (1): Rembrandt
Dolphin Cruises (1): Island Breeze
Sun Cruises(1): Sunbird
Surrey, UK
1,427 Posts
Joined May 2006
"Take traditional tea every day. Recreate the quintessentially British tradition of high tea as you sail the high seas. Every day, the beautifully presented occasion takes place in the main restaurants across the fleet at four o’clock and is included in the price of your holiday. It’s the perfect way to bridge the gap between a light lunch and a late dinner. You’ll find a classic selection of finger sandwiches, cakes, pastries and freshly baked scones with jam and clotted cream, all served with your choice of Twinings speciality fine tea or coffee."

Or Not !!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

P&O (20): Old Arcadia, Arcadia, Aurora(2), Azura(3), Britannia(2),Oceana(2), Oriana(5), Ventura(4)
Scotland
689 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by Josy1953
Still being on there means nothing, P&O are notoriously slow at updating info on the website.
If (and I say if) they have removed the afternoon tea I will not be happy as this is something we really enjoy and they are potentially in breach of advertising standards if they are still selling something as inclusive that has actually been withdrawn. I will be taking a date stamped PDF of the page just in case.

That's the second thing in as many weeks, they started charging for all room service as well and again withdrew this with no prior notice. Great way to treat your customers.

As Bee Es says, what's next?
England
800 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
I have a big appetite, but even I cannot manage afternoon tea after breakfast and lunch! And if I do, I struggle with dinner. It was still being served on Aurora a week ago. We went just the once and it was the only poor experience we had in the MDR over 16 days. Dry, tasteless sandwiches, unappealing cheap looking cakes and tiny blobs of clotted cream for the scones. The staff seemed to want to get it over with quickly. By contrast, every breakfast, lunch or dinner we had in the MDR was excellent, from both a food and service perspective. Interesting to see that scones, cream and jam are on the new room service menu (chargeable), so I wouldn't be surprised if the MDR version goes. If we got back to the ship too late for MDR lunch we had something in the Glass House. Yes you had to pay, but it was ten times better.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 134 nights over 11 cruises (Aurora, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 83 nights over 7 cruises (2017 - Aurora x 2, 2018 - Aurora, Arcadia, Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
Scotland
689 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
We usually have it instead of lunch if we are late back and I have to say that it has always been pleasant in the past. Nice hot scones and toasted tea cakes, never have the cakes as they don't appeal to me.

Glad to hear that is was still on Aurora last week.
Surrey, UK
1,427 Posts
Joined May 2006
Having returned to booking cruises on P&O after a few Celebrity/Princess cruises I must say I feel a bit disappointed in the way the base product is being eroded. I have no problem paying for the extras for Spec. Restaurants/Retreat etc, that is a personal choice, pay it or don't, but these things are eroding the base product and it means that we are not getting the product we booked. We are disappointed about the loss of free Room Service, afternoon tea and also the loss of the 10:30 shows and I intend to write to P&O to ask for an explanation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Devon, UK
4,349 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Oh goodness, I couldn't possibly eat afternoon tea after breakfast and lunch and before dinner. I'm sure a big percentage are like us, so they probably throw at lot away.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean

UK
2,396 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
We don't have afternoon tea often as we tend to have lunch in the MDR and early sitting for dinner, so just can't fit it in normally....When we have gone along to the MDR though, there haven't been many people in there and like jean, I have also often wondered about how many sandwiches etc were thrown away.
Solihull
2,134 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
I will be very upset if this is true, for more reasons than I have the energy to list. The price of the 'keeping prices down' strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
England
800 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by bee-ess
Having returned to booking cruises on P&O after a few Celebrity/Princess cruises I must say I feel a bit disappointed in the way the base product is being eroded. I have no problem paying for the extras for Spec. Restaurants/Retreat etc, that is a personal choice, pay it or don't, but these things are eroding the base product and it means that we are not getting the product we booked. We are disappointed about the loss of free Room Service, afternoon tea and also the loss of the 10:30 shows and I intend to write to P&O to ask for an explanation.
There were still 10.30pm shows on Aurora 2 weeks ago.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 134 nights over 11 cruises (Aurora, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 83 nights over 7 cruises (2017 - Aurora x 2, 2018 - Aurora, Arcadia, Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
Stoke on Trent, England
4,931 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Ironically we were discussing the way that cruising on P&O seems to be eroding last week with fellow cruisers on P&O. We haven't been sailing that long with them really and we have already lost some of the things that made our first cruise in 2010 soooo special:

The band on the quay side to play you off
The Champagne Fountain on a formal night on Oceana
The procession of the waiters and chefs done well ---- napkin waving and all
The afternoon tea in the MDR
A prom. deck!
The ship as a ship not an amusement arcade -- the ship for 2020 really is too big

Just seem sad ... we love tradition and history and think that P&O may be in danger of losing its identity - and the reason why many of them love to sail with them. To become yet another ordinary cruise line with no personality of its own after 180 yrs seems sad.

I can see that they need to cut back, but sad that some of the traditional stuff is being lost. Personally, I wouldn't mind being able to book the afternoon tea for a small cost. We too didn't like the Eric Lanyard one (too sweet) so please keep the traditional version.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed on:
P&O Ventura 15.08.17 : Spain & the Greek Islands
P&O Britannia 28.05.17 : Iberian Cruise
P&O Oceana 10.08.16 : Western Med fly cruise
P&O Britannia 25.07.15 : Iberia and Canaries
P&O Oceana 08.04.15 : Western Med
P&O Oceana 19.04.14 : Iberian Cruise
RCI Independence of the Seas 29.10.13 : Mini cruise
Celebrity Silhouette 12:08:13 : Greek Islands / Italy
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:12 : Adriatic / Venice
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:11 : Eastern Med/Holy Land
P&O Oceana August 2010 : Western Med
Ocean Village 02:08:09 : Eastern Med / Crete
Louis Cruises August 2001 : Egypt
Staffordshire
1,927 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
The band on the quayside stopped a few years ago with the exception of maiden cruises and was very overrated. Band was a bit over the top as it was usually about 6-8 musicians and unless you were midships on the right side you either couldn't hear them or see them. Visions of a full marching band marching and playing up and down the quay is a throwback to the very old days of cruising. We have been cruising for 20yrs and have never seen anything you could call spectacular even after doing 5 maiden cruises with P&O. P&O regulars like nothing more when they go on a cruise to sit and moan about the good old days and how good Canberra was and have never seen a champagne waterfall on P&O.
Whitley Bay, North East England
6,439 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by Presto2
Ironically we were discussing the way that cruising on P&O seems to be eroding last week with fellow cruisers on P&O. We haven't been sailing that long with them really and we have already lost some of the things that made our first cruise in 2010 soooo special:

The band on the quay side to play you off

The Champagne Fountain on a formal night on Oceana

The procession of the waiters and chefs done well ---- napkin waving and all

The afternoon tea in the MDR

A prom. deck!

The ship as a ship not an amusement arcade -- the ship for 2020 really is too big

Just seem sad ... we love tradition and history and think that P&O may be in danger of losing its identity - and the reason why many of them love to sail with them. To become yet another ordinary cruise line with no personality of its own after 180 yrs seems sad.

I can see that they need to cut back, but sad that some of the traditional stuff is being lost. Personally, I wouldn't mind being able to book the afternoon tea for a small cost. We too didn't like the Eric Lanyard one (too sweet) so please keep the traditional version.

What a strange post. They still have the chefs parade with the silly waving of napkins and only one ship does not have a prom deck, the new one will have one. There is still afternoon tea in most ships. Never seen a Champagne fountain in all our cruises.

Seems to me that myths are being put put out there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625 Crown Princess May 17
Britannia B719 Britannia B720

To Come

Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 9
Ventura 19

Gan Canny

Dai
Stoke on Trent, England
4,931 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by majortom10
The band on the quayside stopped a few years ago with the exception of maiden cruises and was very overrated. Band was a bit over the top as it was usually about 6-8 musicians and unless you were midships on the right side you either couldn't hear them or see them. Visions of a full marching band marching and playing up and down the quay is a throwback to the very old days of cruising. We have been cruising for 20yrs and have never seen anything you could call spectacular even after doing 5 maiden cruises with P&O. P&O regulars like nothing more when they go on a cruise to sit and moan about the good old days and how good Canberra was and have never seen a champagne waterfall on P&O.
Sorry, but we loved it and the band was about 30 and played for an hour before we left.
They were very good. I remember the tunes now and it made me tearful as it was at a very difficult time for us as a family. It was very special for me and we remember being so excited.

The Champagne Fountain happened - honest - and was an 'Oceana special'. And it really was special. Sorry that you never experienced it.

Just because you didn't / don't value the things above it doesn't mean that others did not.

I hope that you are not referring to us when you mention 'P&O regulars who like nothing more when they go on a cruise to sit and moan about the good old days' as I find that really offensive! I would say that we far from that and generally just get on with it on a cruise and make the most, whatever.

If you read our history below you will see that we haven't done that many cruises on P&O and have also used other lines. Infact, for 2018 we are back to Celebrity. Re the Canberra - if she was the ship that came back from the Falklands I was at school and could only dream of a cruise at that time. Thinking about it, 2010 was like a dream come true.

Please check out the people you are criticising before you reply and judge them.

There is no need
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed on:
P&O Ventura 15.08.17 : Spain & the Greek Islands
P&O Britannia 28.05.17 : Iberian Cruise
P&O Oceana 10.08.16 : Western Med fly cruise
P&O Britannia 25.07.15 : Iberia and Canaries
P&O Oceana 08.04.15 : Western Med
P&O Oceana 19.04.14 : Iberian Cruise
RCI Independence of the Seas 29.10.13 : Mini cruise
Celebrity Silhouette 12:08:13 : Greek Islands / Italy