No More Deck 9 Cookouts for HAL

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:22 AM.
America's Hometown
16,856 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by wander
Innlady1,

Was the seagull incident by any chance while docked in San Diego several years ago? I became an overnight ship "celebrity" by the entertainment a seagull provided swooping down (suddenly, as swooping birds do) and taking a chicken leg right off my plate. (I was eating lunch on the back, outside deck of the Lido.) He/she then had the nerve to land about 10 feet from me on the deck and devour the chicken meat. A number of folks saw it and we all had a great laugh. One thing nice about being on a ship is that I simply dumped my plate in the wash bin and got myself another lunch.

Would love to have seen that!

"My" incident was on our own C-Dory in Nantucket Harbor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sheila
"innlady1"
[email protected]

Future Cruises
MS Rotterdam - Southern Caribbean - 02/18
MS Veendam - Canada & Atlantic Coast - 10/17
Past Cruises
MS Veendam - Bermuda - 05/15
MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Eastern Caribbean - 02/15
MS Noordam - Southern Caribbean - 02/14
MS Maasdam - Eastern Caribbean - 01/14
MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Med/westbound TA B2B- 10/13
MS Ryndam - Southern & Western Caribbean B2B- 02/13
MS Veendam - Bermuda - 05/12
MS Maasdam - Caribbean - 01/12
MS Maasdam - Caribbean - 01/11
MS Noordam - Caribbean B2B - 01/10
MS Noordam - Caribbean B2B - 01/09
MS Noordam - Caribbean - 02/08
MS Noordam - Caribbean - 02/07
Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 02/06
Raleigh NC
24,682 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by bUU
Incorrect. There are some occasional instances of accredited professionals who aren't up to the standards of accreditation. There world is not "full" of such people. The generalized and callous disregard for the expertise and diligence of what is overwhelming a set of good people a good job is petty and offensive.

Common sense is indeed what applies to such oversight. People need to avoid mistaking their own personal sense for common sense. Common sense can legitimately only stem from a preponderance of informed and accountable perspective.

Who's next on the hit list for generalized and callous disregard for expertise and diligence? Perhaps the good folks who inspect aircraft? It's really quite chilling to see such casually disparaging statements being thrown around about people who protect the public health.

Good point. The way many people causally latch onto any mud-slinging presented by the news (or semi-news sources), even, "Holland America doesn't take action in response to CDC warning about danger," could directly affect shareholder value.
I think at this point we just agree to disagree.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kirk

Future Cruises
Viking Sun 11-6-2017 - Our first Viking Ocean cruise
HAL Prinsendam 12-18-2017 - Christmas on the Elegant Explorer
HAL Zaandam 6-4-2018 - Alaska bound
HAL Maasdam 7-14-2018 - New England and Canada
HAL Prinsendam 7-16-2018 - Four months on the Elegant Explorer
Island Princess 11-20-18 A taxi to visit our daughter
HAL Zaandam 12-6-18 Back to the frozen south
HAL Amsterdam 1-22-2019 - Grand World Voyage
New Brunswick
41,521 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by KirkNC
I think at this point we just agree to disagree.
I'm with you Kirk - on our Prinsendam cruise we really enjoyed those bbq's. I was surprised how wonderful they were. Multitude of seafood and made to order. It was delicious.

On the Westerdam they loaded fresh fish at different islands. Caesar salad (well made, by the way) was usually the accompaniment. The tuna was delicious
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jacqui emailme Click here for Prinsendam Roll Call's spread sheet for May 5, 2018 - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer

Centerville, Ohio, USA
8,751 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
For how many decades have there been outdoor BBQ's and deck buffets on ships? How many people have suffered illness or death because of dining at such venues?

I appreciate common sense government regulations that are designed to keep us safe and well when there is a demonstrated need for such regulations. I know of no demonstrated need other than what was being done violates the "current" USPH regulations, according to this Inspector. Has food safety been so badly compromised in recent years that what was safe "not so long ago" is now unsafe?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
52 cruises: 31 Holland America, 4 Princess, 4 Carnival, 3 Pacific Far East Line, 2 Cunard, 2 Royal Viking Line, 1 each: Celebrity Cruises, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Sitmar, American Hawaii, Home Lines
Georgia
8,883 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by kazu
I'm with you Kirk - on our Prinsendam cruise we really enjoyed those bbq's.
Kirk and I weren't disagreeing about how enjoyable the bbq's may have been.

Originally posted by rkacruiser
I know of no demonstrated need
How many accredited assessments have you completed?

How about we stick to sharing how enjoyable the bbq's were, and maybe sharing insights into what we think the cruise line may do instead, rather than veering off onto attacks against officials. I'd be really interested in reading about folks personal experiences as passengers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
11/11/2017 Carnival Magic (W. Caribbean) [Roll Call]
6/30/2018 ms Nieuw Amsterdam (Alaska) [Roll Call]
“Those who do not know satisfaction, even when living in a heavenly palace, are still not satisfied. Those who do not know satisfaction, even if rich, are poor. People who know satisfaction, even if poor, are rich.” ― Gautama Buddha
Ontario, Canada
4,094 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
I have every reason to believe that HAL will take the proper measures to correct whatever issues showed up during the inspection and aft deck BBQ's will soon return. Time for folks to breathe in, breathe out and carry on
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Louis

January 2018 - 21-day Koningsdam - Southern Caribbean Seafarer / Wayfarer
March 2018 - 7-day Eurodam - Western Caribbean
September 2018 - 22-day Koningsdam - Iberian Adventures & Mediterranean Dream

HAL 18 cruises Princess 3 cruises NCL 2 cruises
Georgia
8,883 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Where exactly were they held, for example, on Nieuw Amsterdam? I'd guess by the Lido Pool... but I wonder if they could move them to the Sea View Pool and use the sanitary facilities that are built into the ship there. (Of course, that would mean closing a bar for the duration of the bbq, and that's a big ask.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
“Those who do not know satisfaction, even when living in a heavenly palace, are still not satisfied. Those who do not know satisfaction, even if rich, are poor. People who know satisfaction, even if poor, are rich.” ― Gautama Buddha
Ontario, Canada
4,094 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by bUU
Where exactly were they held, for example, on Nieuw Amsterdam? I'd guess by the Lido Pool... but I wonder if they could move them to the Sea View Pool and use the sanitary facilities that are built into the ship there. (Of course, that would mean closing a bar for the duration of the bbq, and that's a big ask.)
The aft Sea View pool deck on the Vista and Signature class ships is where most of them were in fact held and the bar was definitely open.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Louis

Georgia
8,883 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by taxmantoo
The aft Sea View pool deck on the Vista and Signature class ships is where most of them were in fact held and the bar was definitely open.
Okay but what I'm saying is that they can probably address the violation by using the bar's facilities for the bbq.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Connecticut
12,137 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by bUU

Common sense is indeed what applies to such oversight. People need to avoid mistaking their own personal sense for common sense. Common sense can legitimately only stem from a preponderance of informed and accountable perspective.
I think you are confusing scientific method with common sense. "... a preponderance of informed and accountable perspective." I think not.

Common sense is the gut reaction one has to a given situation; sometimes called "street smarts". It springs from experience- tempered by core attitude. It is based on experience - which can be "accountable" to no one other than the possessor of that experience.

And "informed"? Are you suggesting that some level of education (likely in the social sciences) is prerequisite to possession of common sense?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Six US Navy ships,
25+ cruises: Orient (1), Holland America (12), Norwegian (6), Carnival (1), Princess (1), Celebrity (3), Cunard (2), Royal Caribbean (1) - (1996-2017).
Coming up: Royal Caribbean, January 2018
Georgia
8,883 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by navybankerteacher
Common sense is the gut reaction one has to a given situation
By your "logic", common sense differs from person to person. That's self-ratifying nonsense. No; worse. It is an affront to the language.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Georgia
8,883 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
"Good sense and sound judgement in practical matters." - Oxford dictionary

Emphasis added. This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
North America
312 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
I think it's time for a poll. Raise your hand if you've eaten BBQ and didn't die!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Sailings:
- Nieuw Amsterdam, Western Caribbean, December 2016
- Queen Victoria, Portugal and Canaries, December 2015
- Zuiderdam, Panama Canal, December 2009
- Zuiderdam, Mediterranean Romance, July 2008
Centerville, Ohio, USA
8,751 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by *Miss G*
I think it's time for a poll. Raise your hand if you've eaten BBQ and didn't die!!
How many times may I vote?

I most certainly have done so and have done so on many cruise lines since 1970!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
52 cruises: 31 Holland America, 4 Princess, 4 Carnival, 3 Pacific Far East Line, 2 Cunard, 2 Royal Viking Line, 1 each: Celebrity Cruises, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Sitmar, American Hawaii, Home Lines
Burlingame calif
76 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Originally posted by *Miss G*

Folks, perhaps it's time to step back and be glad there are folks watching out for our safety and health.... and that why I actually feel safer eating on board ship then restaurants on shore in the US. Yes the VSP rules are complicated and the F&B managers need to understand it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ontario, Canada
4,094 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by bUU
Okay but what I'm saying is that they can probably address the violation by using the bar's facilities for the bbq.

You have obviously never been to one of these themed bbq's and probably the Sea View Bar on any Vista or Signature ship. You could compare the size of the bar's facilities to a 25 cent piece while the cooking space occupied by the bbq is more like a one dollar bill. While the bbq is going on, the bar is the busiest of any time during the cruise. They could not handle any excess people or excess equipment.
Like I said before, they will bring about the proper corrections and continue on as it was before.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Louis

"America's Hometown": Prescott, AZ
1,924 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Oddly enough with any 'outside' food service event (whether it be commercial or private) it is not only the aforementioned covered roof / 3 walled siding, proper prep, availability of nearby hand washing sinks and required sanitizing equipment (minimal on cruise ships really since tableware and such usually goes directly to the ship's kitchen sanitizing station's, aka the high temperature dishwashers).

Vector control, aka fly's, & disease transmission would be more of an issue during port docking open culinary events IMHO.

However, with that said, I've survived all these years somehow regardless of the food venue. An occasional 'food poisoning' occurs regardless of any & all precautions.

And so it goes... It's called life.

Be well.
Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life is good!
Georgia
8,883 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by taxmantoo
You have obviously never been to one of these themed bbq's and probably the Sea View Bar on any Vista or Signature ship. You could compare the size of the bar's facilities to a 25 cent piece while the cooking space occupied by the bbq is more like a one dollar bill. While the bbq is going on, the bar is the busiest of any time during the cruise. They could not handle any excess people or excess equipment.
Like I said before, they will bring about the proper corrections and continue on as it was before.
The question is how will they comply. From what you're saying it won't be possible without a significant refit.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
America's Hometown
16,856 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by bUU

The BBQ's on any of our cruises have been held at the Sea View Pool. Except for the Veendam Boston/Bermuda when it was held at the Lido Pool...probably because they eliminated the Sea View Pool on her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sheila
"innlady1"
[email protected]

Future Cruises
MS Rotterdam - Southern Caribbean - 02/18
MS Veendam - Canada & Atlantic Coast - 10/17
Past Cruises
MS Veendam - Bermuda - 05/15
MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Eastern Caribbean - 02/15