Save the Queen Elizabeth!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:41 AM.
119 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Just a few facts and a question....

1. Formerly public space on the ship has been used to insert a number of additional cabins.

2. Furniture is obstructing the mural. Those responsible, do they know the meaning and the significance of this intallation?

3. Breakfast buffet (a day at sea - June 11, 2017). The omelette station (about 9:00 AM):
- ... with tomatoes and mushrom, please...
- Sorry, we ran out of tomatoes and mushroom at this station.
- Shall I try the other side?
- Yes, please.

4. Breakfast buffet. Port day (Hamburg). Yesterday.
No salmon.
Miserable bakery products, etc.
Half empty counters (in the active lane).

Asking someone involved:
- Where is the food?
- This is the food (pointing at hot beans and sausages on the other side).

Question:
What is the connection between the ignorance of their own heritage, added cabins, and miserable breakfast buffet (Hamburg, June 12, 2017) ?

Answer:
Direct !
Brooklyn, NY, USA
726 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
WOW, what a shame the cruise you are experiencing.

Yes, those chairs are misplaced. They are properly trying to add additional seating without thought.

Cruise with no/limited food...Unheard of...I wish you approached the Food and Beverage Officer with this question.

Better days to come.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Luv Cruising,
BklynBoy8 "Eddie"
Cunard WC - Diamond Member
Recent Sailing....QM2 - 6 Day Canada/NE Jul 1st - Jul 6th, 2017 (Independence Day Sailing)
Hampshire, England
1,532 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by ronbe65
Just a few facts and a question....

1. Formerly public space on the ship has been used to insert a number of additional cabins.

2. Furniture is obstructing the mural. Those responsible, do they know the meaning and the significance of this intallation?

The chairs in front of the mural in the Midships Bar have been there for as long as I can remember...

To the best of my knowledge they haven't caused a stir at any time.

Great place to sit and 'people watch'.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dancing above the Waves.

Diving below them.

Pennsylvania
5,632 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by exbiologist
So tell me about the mural. I love nautical history and tradition.
It's adapted from the ship's position mural on the Queen Mary (and I assume the old Queen Elizabeth).

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Iowa
1,266 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Underwatr
It's adapted from the ship's position mural on the Queen Mary (and I assume the old Queen Elizabeth).

Ah, yes, this brings back some good memories. This is the very photo I took back in 2008 of the map mural in the Grand Salon (formerly the First Class Dining Room) on the Queen Mary in Long Beach and posted here on Cruise Critic in reply to a thread about the original Queen Mary. That was one of my earliest posts here back in 2010. Great to see that photo again. Thanks for posting it.

Regards,
John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)

Chicago, IL, USA
2,007 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Hi,

I cruised aboard the Queen Elizabeth for 10 days in late November / early December 2012. During my cruise, I took many photos of the ship's public areas. I recently reviewed my photos and discovered two photos of the same chairs in front of this mural. I agree that the placement of these chairs is nothing new.

Chuck
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
554 days - 87 cruises - 64 ships

Royal Caribbean (124 days, 22 cruises); Princess (120 days, 18 cruises); Cunard (105 days, 17 cruises); Norwegian (53 days, 8 cruises); Celebrity (51 days, 8 cruises); Crystal (43 days, 5 cruises); Holland America (38 days, 5 cruises); Other (20 days, 4 cruises)

Future cruises: Crown Princess, Feb. 23, 2018 (8-day Southern Caribbean); Emerald Princess, May 9, 2018 (4-day Pacific Coastal); Queen Victoria, Sep. 22, 2018 (7-day Mediterranean); Royal Princess, May 4, 2019 (7-day Wine Country Coastal)

Areas cruised to: Alaska; Asia (Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand); Australia; Bahamas; Bermuda; Canada/New England; Caribbean; Greek Islands; Hawaii; Mediterranean; Mexican Riviera; Norway; Pacific Coastal; Panama Canal; Scandinavia/Russia; Spain/Portugal; Tahiti; Transatlantic Crossings
Pennsylvania
5,632 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by bluemarble
Ah, yes, this brings back some good memories. This is the very photo I took back in 2008 of the map mural in the Grand Salon (formerly the First Class Dining Room) on the Queen Mary in Long Beach and posted here on Cruise Critic in reply to a thread about the original Queen Mary. That was one of my earliest posts here back in 2010. Great to see that photo again. Thanks for posting it.

Regards,
John
I googled for a good picture and eventually ended up in some Cruise Critic thread.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:

Up North, UK
1,488 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
I saw the thread title and expected to open another QE2 nostalgia thread from someone who wants the old girl relocated to central London and mounted on a golden dias half way down The Mall at taxpayer expense.

But it's worse, someone has got the chair placement wrong on the current QE and the breakfast buffet wan't up to full motorway service standards.

This sort of sloppy attention to detail would never happpen on a Carnival ship, certainly not Saga or even a Thomson all inclusive floating beer palace and all day food trough. Standards are slipping further, you might as well book a chalet at Butlins as waste your money with Cunard.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Queen Victoria V525 Spain, Portugal, Morroco - Nov 2015
Celebrity Sillhouette Shakespeare Cruise - April 2016
Queen Elizabeth Q620 Portugal & Canaries - November 2016

Batehaven, Australia
9,676 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Only sausages and beans left in the buffet on QE? Oh dear, sounds like a Little Chef on ye old A303 somewhere.

I have only done one Cunard 'cruise', sorry voyage. On QM2 this year, IMO Cunard is overrated for the tariff and not for I.

As for a bespoke sandwich, what on earth is that? Perhaps a bacon sarney?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 460 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
3,505 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by bluemarble

Regards,
John
Don't tell me. You're claiming copyright.

David
At Sea
5,285 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Underwatr

Hi Underwtr,

My understanding (from various books on the history of the ship) is that the mural shows the summer and winter routes of the Queen Mary not, as often supposed, the tracks of the two sisters.
When installed in the mid-thirties there was no Queen Elizabeth of course.
Contemporary photos of the First Class Dining Room taken at the time of launch show the two tracks, but with one crystal model ready to be moved along as needed during crossings.
That one crystal model was replaced in Long Beach with two smaller perspex (?) models in the mistaken belief that there had been two, and one had been previously lost.
If I am mistaken I apologise.

Best wishes,
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over 3.5 million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2. Booked: QE, ...
At Sea
5,285 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
The two chairs and table were there in June 2012...

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/7447638800/in/album-72157630296676128/

But there was nothing in front of this (based on the mural surrounding the fireplace in the First Class Lounge on Queen Mary)

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/7447703016/in/album-72157630296676128/

But there were chairs and a table in front of this (based on one in the First Class Starboard Gallery on Queen Mary)

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/7447700194/in/album-72157630296676128/

Best wishes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
Iowa
1,266 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by balf
Don't tell me. You're claiming copyright.

David
No, not at all. As far as I am concerned as the photographer, anyone is free to reuse that image. I'm happy to see it has resurfaced here seven years after I originally posted it and that it is helping facilitate this discussion about the original mural's history and how that mural was the inspiration for the mural on the current Queen Elizabeth.

John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)

At Sea
5,285 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by pepperrn
... "photos of the First Class Dining Room taken at the time of launch show the two tracks"...
Sorry, sloppy writing, should say "entering service" of course ...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
384 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
The tradition of moving a model is kept alive of sorts on board Queen Mary 2.

The right hand console on the bridge, visible from the viewing window, there is a ship model and flags at either end. When on a crossing the officers move the model according to progress. I'm not sure when the tradition started but it has kept going year on year as the captains have officers have come and gone. One of the little quirky things that makes Queen Mary 2 different from the rest.

I don't have a photo of it to hand but perhaps someone can oblige?

M-AR
At Sea
5,285 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Mid-Atlantic Ridge
The tradition of moving a model is kept alive of sorts on board Queen Mary 2. The right hand console on the bridge, visible from the viewing window, there is a ship model and flags at either end. When on a crossing the officers move the model according to progress. I'm not sure when the tradition started but it has kept going year on year as the captains have officers have come and gone. One of the little quirky things that makes Queen Mary 2 different from the rest. I don't have a photo of it to hand but perhaps someone can oblige? M-AR
Sadly my photo only shows one of the two flags, and not the model...

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/6335912809/in/album-72157627503155752/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
384 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Sadly my photo only shows one of the two flags, and not the model...

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/6335912809/in/album-72157627503155752/
Thank you. Sat for a while trying to work out where you were, looks European first guess was Cobh but l'm now more confident with Cherbourg, as through the far left window you can see that odd shaped building with the hand painted sign on the gable.

M-AR
At Sea
5,285 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Mid-Atlantic Ridge
Thank you. Sat for a while trying to work out where you were, looks European first guess was Cobh but l'm now more confident with Cherbourg, as through the far left window you can see that odd shaped building with the hand painted sign on the gable. M-AR
Yes indeed Mid-Atlantic Ridge, Cherbourg it is . One of the very few occasions I've seen the Bridge Viewing Gallery open on a "port day". Best wishes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pennsylvania
5,632 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Hi Underwtr,

My understanding (from various books on the history of the ship) is that the mural shows the summer and winter routes of the Queen Mary not, as often supposed, the tracks of the two sisters.
When installed in the mid-thirties there was no Queen Elizabeth of course.
Contemporary photos of the First Class Dining Room taken at the time of launch show the two tracks, but with one crystal model ready to be moved along as needed during crossings.
With some difficulty (since most of the photos online appear to be modern photos taken in Long Beach) one can search and find a photo of the mural depicting only one ship on the course lines:

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past: