Central Rome Hotel Recommendations

dag144

We are book ed on the Westerdam this October, Civitavecchia to Ft. Lauderdale. Does anyone have a recommendation for a medium priced (below at or below US$ 300/night). We think we need a fairly larger hotel with a concierge since it's been an eternity since we have been to the Eternal City. We need all the help we can get.

I've stayed in several hotels in Rome near the Pantheon, my favorite area and "ground zero" for the historic city.

Two mid-range hotels I like are the Albergo Santa Chiara (right behind the Pantheon) and the Albergo Cesari (located between Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon). The Santa Chiara is a bit larger, but both hotels have good concierges. (The Albergo Cesari has a nice rooftop bar where their breakfast is served.)

The earlier you start looking, the better chance one of these might meet your budget -- they should be near that in October which isn't high season.

If those don't work or don't appeal, I can recommend others. But those would be my "go to" places to start looking.

I've stayed in several hotels in Rome near the Pantheon, my favorite area and "ground zero" for the historic city.

Two mid-range hotels I like are the Albergo Santa Chiara (right behind the Pantheon) and the Albergo Cesari (located between Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon). The Santa Chiara is a bit larger, but both hotels have good concierges. (The Albergo Cesari has a nice rooftop bar where their breakfast is served.)

The earlier you start looking, the better chance one of these might meet your budget -- they should be near that in October which isn't high season.

If those don't work or don't appeal, I can recommend others. But those would be my "go to" places to start looking.

I'll agree with cruisemom here. I consider her to be one of the Rome "experts" here on CC. I love the location of the Santa Chiara - the Pantheon area is one of my favorites at night! And, there is an excellent restaurant just steps away, Armando al Pantheon, which is known for it's Roman cuisine. Reservations in advance are mandatory - it fills every night with locals and visitors alike. You may search their website and do reservations from there or make use of your hotel Concierge. Also, the rooftop bar at the Grand Hotel de la Minerve (a 2-minute walk from the Santa Chiara) is a nice place to sit and sip!

Although you said you wanted a larger hotel, if you decide you can do a small boutique hotel, check Residenza Ave Roma. It's a chaming 8 room hotel across the river from the Castel Saint Angelo and about half a block from Piazza Navona. Very central location and a nice place. The price is very reasonable, below $200 per day as I remember.

Just back from Westerdam. We stayed at the Boscolo Exedra Roma (two blocks from train station). While a different company, it is under contract with Marriott as part of the "Autograph Collection" so you can earn/use Marriott points. I have to say this was one of the most unique hotels I've ever stayed in (and I've stayed in quite a few). The service was exceptional. The rooms were antique with a lush modern twist. Free buffet breakfast for Marriott gold and platinum members was beyond description with pastries, meats, cheeses and even a salad bar!

A metro station was at the front door. We are not fitness buffs but are reasonably healthy and walked to attractions. We took a cab once for a fantastic food tour away from the central tourist areas. I would say most attractions were about a 15-20 minute walk in one direction or another.

Grand Palace Hotel in Rome on the Via Veneto, across from the American Embassy is where I stayed after to a cruise. At that time, it was part of the Boscolo consortium of hotels and now seems not to be. But, the Millennium and Copthorne Hotel groups have accepted it. It is well positioned for tourists. The Spanish Steps are near-by and everything touristy that I wanted to visit were in walking distance without difficulty.

The hotel was truly an European hotel in all of the good, interesting definitions of such. It's elevator, if it held 4 people, would have been a crowd. I had to learn how to prevent flooding my large, well-equipped bathroom when taking a shower. Breakfast buffet was generous and delicious with service that I did not expect in such a venue. Front Office service was helpful.

A sign of going the extra mile by the staff: I had an extremely early pick-up for the airport for my flight home. I was offered a "breakfast to go" for that morning. My pick-up arrived early(!) and I totally forgot about trying to get my offered breakfast that morning when I got to the lobby due to the very unexpected early arrival of my transfer.

Lots of cafes and restaurants in the area and it is a hotel that I would consider once again if I have some time in Rome.

Grand Palace Hotel in Rome on the Via Veneto, across from the American Embassy is where I stayed after to a cruise. At that time, it was part of the Boscolo consortium of hotels and now seems not to be. But, the Millennium and Copthorne Hotel groups have accepted it. It is well positioned for tourists. The Spanish Steps are near-by and everything touristy that I wanted to visit were in walking distance without difficulty.

The hotel was truly an European hotel in all of the good, interesting definitions of such. It's elevator, if it held 4 people, would have been a crowd. I had to learn how to prevent flooding my large, well-equipped bathroom when taking a shower. Breakfast buffet was generous and delicious with service that I did not expect in such a venue. Front Office service was helpful.

A sign of going the extra mile by the staff: I had an extremely early pick-up for the airport for my flight home. I was offered a "breakfast to go" for that morning. My pick-up arrived early(!) and I totally forgot about trying to get my offered breakfast that morning when I got to the lobby due to the very unexpected early arrival of my transfer.

Lots of cafes and restaurants in the area and it is a hotel that I would consider once again if I have some time in Rome.

I will disagree with the location of that hotel. I've stayed at the Westin, also across from the US Embassy. It really isn't central to the tourist attractions. You've got to be able to walk a bit, down hill for 20 minutes to get to The Pantheon, and then it's back uphill. Or, walk to the Barberini Metro station... I only stayed there because I had been a Starwood employee and got the Westin for $89/night. Otherwise, I'd stay down around The Pantheon.

Cruise Mom mentioned two great choices - in best area.

If by "Central Rome" you mean transportation hub - the Nord Nuova on G. Amendola is steps away from Termini Station and the junction of A and B metro lines - a fine reasonable hotel, but (aside from transportation) not very well situated.

Since not everyone wants the same thing from a hotel, and since hotel websites tend to wildly exaggerate their "closeness" to the historic center and landmarks that everyone wants to see, I will just say that the core of historic Rome, known as the "centro storico" is generally considered to be around the Pantheon, stretching to Trevi fountain on one side and to Piazza Navona/Campo dei Fiori on the other. This is the most walkable and also one of the the most pleasant areas to stay in Rome because there are plenty of restaurants and it's safe and fun to walk at night -- everything is lit up and there are plenty of others taking their evening 'passeggiata' or stroll.

Termini, the central rail station, is well placed if you want to take the train to/from the airport and to/from Civitavecchia. It is also, as mentioned by someone above, a transportation hub for the metro (the two main lines intersect there) and for buses. However, the area is NOT charming at all. While safe enough, it's not the same pleasant atmosphere and restaurants tend to be geared toward low-cost really touristy food. For me personally, I would not stay near Termini UNLESS it was only for one night enroute to somewhere else.

The via Veneto area was the hub of "La Dolce Vita" in the 1960s, but now it's sort of what I'd consider "faded grandeur". Not the most convenient location for getting around to the major sites, and not as many restaurants (although certainly enough to afford choice). If you like a more quiet and slightly out-of-the-way location, it's not a bad choice.

The Vatican area is also out of the way, with even less going on at night in most neighborhoods. I would recommend it ONLY if your primary interest and reason for your stay is the Vatican itself. (The Vatican is the outlier among the Rome sites, farthest from the center.)

Spanish Steps = very busy shopping area; not too inconvenient but very busy with people

Colosseum/Forum area = a little less expensive; best for those with a hard-core interest in the ancient Roman sites and museums that are clustered around this area.

When you are considering hotels, be sure to look up their location on Google maps. Do not rely on their description. I think every hotel in Rome says they are "only steps" from Trevi Fountain. (They do not say how many steps....:rolleyes:)

Cruisemom, you nailed it once again :)

I will say that the Via Veneto area is definitely faded glory now. There really isn't much in the way of decent restaurants anymore, either. When I was an employee of the big world-wide brands, I did give up location for price - who can ignore hotels for free to $89/night??? Now that I work for an independent hotel, I will stay down near the Pantheon, where I stayed my first trip to Rome. Once you stay there, it is hard to stay elsewhere!

With respect to previous comments by slidergirl and cruisemom42 about the area of Grand Hotel Palace on the Via Veneto, I think I ought to say that my visit there was around 2005. The hotel and its location served me well for my sightseeing purposes. If that area has now "faded", it's sad but a realistic fact of life for many urban areas.

cruisemom42's warning about the statement of "being close to whatever" in hotel's descriptions of themselves is absolutely true not only in Rome but elsewhere in Europe.

During my 2nd visit to Rome, my prime objective was a thorough, unhurried visit to the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's. Thus, I chose a hotel within walking distance of St. Peter's. It also did not disappoint my own sightseeing desires.

With respect to previous comments by slidergirl and cruisemom42 about the area of Grand Hotel Palace on the Via Veneto, I think I ought to say that my visit there was around 2005. The hotel and its location served me well for my sightseeing purposes. If that area has now "faded", it's sad but a realistic fact of life for many urban areas.

cruisemom42's warning about the statement of "being close to whatever" in hotel's descriptions of themselves is absolutely true not only in Rome but elsewhere in Europe.

During my 2nd visit to Rome, my prime objective was a thorough, unhurried visit to the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's. Thus, I chose a hotel within walking distance of St. Peter's. It also did not disappoint my own sightseeing desires.

Ah. There's the difference. I was there last Spring. The hotels there still get lots of people on official business at the Embassy and various conferences. I know the Westin also is one of the pre/post cruise package hotels offered.

The Westin does have an excellent Concierge staff, though. They helped me with restaurant reservations that I wanted but did not want to call from home. They have an awesome breakfast buffet (I got it for free), but it is expensive.

I love Hotel Parlemento. It is small but lovely. It is family run. I have stayed here with family and as a solo cruiser. I loved the location with stores, restaurants and many sites within a short walking distance. Check Trip Advisor.

CruiseMom got it right! Central Rome is from the Pantheon to the Trevi. That is where Rome charm is. Personally, I avoid large American Hotel chains. I do enjoy them however.. I can stay at those chains here and not a unique boutique hotel in Rome.

Lessons learned on my trip to Rome ... where NOT to stay. Not by the main train terminal. And based on my experience don't book below 4 star hotel when in Rome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 months later...

:):):)Thanks to Cruisemom42's great suggestions we booked a stay of four nights at the Albergo Cesari. It was wonderful. The hotel is charming with a great staff and an unbeatable location, three minutes to the Pantheon and five minutes in the other direction to the Trevi fountain. The staff is wonderful and very coddling. The rooftop bar is a great place to relax before a night on the town. They have a huge buffet breakfast. Looked great but I had my coffee on the Corso trying to be a "local". Thank you Cruisemom. Your advice made the time in Rome a great way to be our Westerdam Trans-Atlantic.

We were told by the staff that the hotel was recently purchased by a French hotel chain. According to the staff some "needed renovations" are being done. I hope that they keep the charm and the reasonable (for Rome) prices.

Lessons learned on my trip to Rome ... where NOT to stay. Not by the main train terminal. And based on my experience don't book below 4 star hotel when in Rome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While the Hassler Hotel at the top of the Spanish Steps is in the priceyrrange, it is a very lovely hotel witth great service. and an amazing location. :)

I'll agree with cruisemom here. I consider her to be one of the Rome "experts" here on CC. I love the location of the Santa Chiara - the Pantheon area is one of my favorites at night! And, there is an excellent restaurant just steps away, Armando al Pantheon, which is known for it's Roman cuisine. Reservations in advance are mandatory - it fills every night with locals and visitors alike. You may search their website and do reservations from there or make use of your hotel Concierge. Also, the rooftop bar at the Grand Hotel de la Minerve (a 2-minute walk from the Santa Chiara) is a nice place to sit and sip!

We love Santa Chiara as well. Great location, friendly and helpful staff, and wonderful breakfast. And...Armando’s! 😋

OK, I am going to out on a limb here and although this hotel may be just a smidge above your price point, you may find that with all the inclusions, it is within it.

complimentary bar and mini bar, breakfast (beautiful) and cooked to order.

Just a few steps away from the maddening crowd but not far from any sights.

I do have a review for this hotel on tripadvisor and since then, it has only climbed in ratings.

If you don't mind to go over a bit (but do the math, and it might be nearly as cheap), the Villa Spalleti Trivelli is absolutely fabulous.

An old family palazzo that has been turned into a boutique hotel. The family takes very good care of it and it is fabulous. If we do the itinerary I am looking at for 2019, I will book this again in a flash.

Superior service - wonderful location (I don't mind to walk 5-10 minutes) with it's own lovely gardens.

It was they that warned us of the strike for the railway and suggested we change our private transfer to Civi.

It would probably work out though with the inclusions a smidge over your $ point. Not sure as it depends upon when you are going and you are out of really high season, I think.

enjoy your cruise and Rome :)

OK, I am going to out on a limb here and although this hotel may be just a smidge above your price point, you may find that with all the inclusions, it is within it.

complimentary bar and mini bar, breakfast (beautiful) and cooked to order.

Just a few steps away from the maddening crowd but not far from any sights.

I do have a review for this hotel on tripadvisor and since then, it has only climbed in ratings.

If you don't mind to go over a bit (but do the math, and it might be nearly as cheap), the Villa Spalleti Trivelli is absolutely fabulous.

An old family palazzo that has been turned into a boutique hotel. The family takes very good care of it and it is fabulous. If we do the itinerary I am looking at for 2019, I will book this again in a flash.

Superior service - wonderful location (I don't mind to walk 5-10 minutes) with it's own lovely gardens.

It was they that warned us of the strike for the railway and suggested we change our private transfer to Civi.

It would probably work out though with the inclusions a smidge over your $ point. Not sure as it depends upon when you are going and you are out of really high season, I think.

enjoy your cruise and Rome :)

I checked out it’s website. Look’s like a lovely hotel! I’m putting it in my travel files. 🙂