Coffee snob question

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:28 PM.
Granite Bay, CA
408 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
Ok I have to admit that a good capuchino or a good latte are important to my day. I love the Celebrity line and their coffee shop. Can I expect the same quality on Princess since I have already booked my first cruise and purchased 2 coffee packages. Looking forward to a new experience.
California
200 Posts
Joined May 2016
I've not been on celebrity, but I only drink Peet's coffee at home and I thought the espresso drinks were quite good on the Caribbean Princess in April 2017. I was even ok with the regular brewed coffe in the MDR and room service coffee. I like bold, strong coffee.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nov 2017 - Ruby Princess - Mexican Riviera
Sept 2018 - Grand Princess - Alaska
April 20, 2017 - Caribbean Princess - Europe
October 22, 2006 - Mariner of the Seas - Western Caribbean
August 4, 2002 - Grandeur of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
107 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
A coffee snob would never add any milk or cream or sugar to their coffee and thus hide the true flavor of the beans
That said, the coffee on the royal class ships is fresh brewed and much better than you'll find at most of your in-laws
Can't speak for the other princess ships, I'm pretty new to cruising.
Sydney, Australia
7,560 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Personally I prefer the blend of coffee Princess uses to that of Celebrity but I drink espressos when cruising as I don't like the UHT packaged milk they use.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sep 2017 - Royal Princess - Mediterranean

Feb 2017 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Nov 2016 - Carnival Legend - South Pacific
Sep 2016 - Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea
Apr 2016 - Golden Princess - Sydney to Hong Kong
Dec 2015 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Aug 2015 - Dawn Princess - Top End Fremantle to Sydney
Mar 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
Dec 2014 - Sun Princess - South Pacific
Sep 2008 - Avalon Tapestry - Rhine Cruise
Los Angeles Ca.
5,059 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
There are usually Princess coffee cards for sale on Ebay for quite a savings compared to online or in person on Princess if you're interested.
Also you might want to know that the coffee cards are good for 3 scoops of Gelato at the international cafe for 1 punch.
Sydney, Australia
7,560 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by Optotronics
A coffee snob would never add any milk or cream or sugar to their coffee and thus hide the true flavor of the beans
That said, the coffee on the royal class ships is fresh brewed and much better than you'll find at most of your in-laws
Can't speak for the other princess ships, I'm pretty new to cruising.
A coffee snob wouldn't drink brewed coffee at any time, with or without milk. Only espresso!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

107 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
Originally posted by OzKiwiJJ
A coffee snob wouldn't drink brewed coffee at any time, with or without milk. Only espresso!
I agree with you on the espresso, but milk would kick you out of the club
When on the ship, I drink their brew; but at home I just went retro and discovered the great flavor of the old fashioned percolator after my saeco machine broke and now I'm hooked.
Sydney, Australia
7,560 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by Optotronics
I agree with you on the espresso, but milk would kick you out of the club
When on the ship, I drink their brew; but at home I just went retro and discovered the great flavor of the old fashioned percolator after my saeco machine broke and now I'm hooked.
Not in Australia. Lattes are an art form here.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,727 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by Montana
Ok I have to admit that a good capuchino or a good latte are important to my day. I love the Celebrity line and their coffee shop. Can I expect the same quality on Princess since I have already booked my first cruise and purchased 2 coffee packages. Looking forward to a new experience.
About 2 years ago Princess upgraded their coffee offerings to what they call "New Grounds Crafted Coffee".

They began using Caffe Bossi beans from Genoa, Italy, training baristas at a school in Portland, Oregon & adding additional options. I drink black coffee because I enjoy the taste & have been happy with the brewed coffee (fee) at the International Cafe and the filtered (free) coffee machines in the Horizon Court buffet on the Royal & Regal Princess.

While I'm not a coffee connoisseur, I enjoy 100% Kona coffee at home which I drink black. The Princess coffee is more bold flavored to me but coffee taste is very subjective.

Here's a photo of the IC coffee menu which as I recall was still valid in January.

Originally posted by mdgary
Almost forgot to include the specialty coffees and teas as well:

PC130732 by mdgary21043, on Flickr
PC130733 by mdgary21043, on Flickr
Naples, FL
199 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by Montana

Both Cafe al Baccio and The International Cafe make great coffee drinks. You will not be disappointed. They both have nice goodies to munch on as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Email Us! and say hi when you're on the boards!

Caribbean Princess--September 2017 12 Night British Isles RT from Southampton
Celebrity Summit--August 2016 Bermuda RT from Cape Liberty
Allure of the Seas--June 2016 Eastern Caribbean RT from Miami
Emerald Princess--May 2015 Western Mediterranean Rome to Barcelona
Royal Princess--April 2015 Eastern Caribbean RT from Port Everglades
Caribbean Princess-June 2014--Eastern Caribbean RT from Port Everglades
Royal Caribbean-Majesty--April 2013--Bahamas RT from Miami
Sapphire Princess--Inside Passage--July 2011 RT from Seattle
Carnival Valor--Western Caribbean--June 2005 RT from Miami

2015 Mediterranean Trip Blog link:
https://bonjourn.al/journal/9158
Greater Seattle area
237 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by Coffeeluvr05
I've not been on celebrity, but I only drink Peet's coffee at home and I thought the espresso drinks were quite good on the Caribbean Princess in April 2017. I was even ok with the regular brewed coffe in the MDR and room service coffee. I like bold, strong coffee.
Is that regular brewed coffee drip or syrup? Just wondering if we have to buy a coffee card to get real coffee in the MDR.
Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,727 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by Bookited
Is that regular brewed coffee drip or syrup? Just wondering if we have to buy a coffee card to get real coffee in the MDR.
Except for the Royal, Regal & guessing the Majestic which have filtered coffee machines that use ground coffee, other ships have coffee made from concentrate except at the IC.

Recently posts about the coffee from concentrate were better reviewed which could be a result of better maintaining the coffee machines and/or a better quality of concentrated coffee.
6,285 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
We only drink espresso based concoctions. I am married to an outstanding barrista, and can say that Princess offers an acceptable product at the International Café. I think you will be happy and able to get your fix 24/7.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Kindness is the highest form of intelligence." W. Teasdale
cruising.calm ggprincess 2004

Upcoming: - Oct-Nov 2017 Diamond Princess b2b2b2b; March 2018 Caribbean Princess ; May 2018 Golden Princess b2b; October 2018 Royal Princess; March - May 2019 Golden Princess b2b2b2b
Completed: April 2017 Grand Princess b2b; Nov 2016 Caribbean Princess b2b; March 2016 Grand Princess; Nov 2015 Celebrity Reflection; May-June 2015 Grand Princess b2b; Oct-Nov 2014 b2b2b Caribbean Princess; August 2014 Caribbean Princess b2b; April 2014 Caribbean Princess; February 2014 Ruby Princess b2b Caribbean;October/November 2012 Grand Princess b2b Canary Islands and crossing; January 2012 Emerald Princess Caribbean; October 2011 Ruby Princess b2b Med and crossing; August 2011 Sea Princess Alaska; March 2011 Coral Princess, Panama Canal; Feb 2011 Grand Princess S. Caribbean, Oct 2010 Crown Princess Western Caribbean, July 2010 Caribbean Princess New York r/t Bermuda,etc., April 2010 Golden Princess Hawaii, Dec 2009 Crown Princess W. Carribean, August/September 2009 Caribbean Princess b2b Canada/New England, Jan 2009 b2b Emerald Princess S. Caribbean, September 2008 Tahitian Princess Alaska, April 2008 Coral Princess Panama Canal and repo, January 2008 Dawn Princess Mexican Riviera, December 2007 Grand Princess Western Caribbean, May/June 2007 Sapphire Princess Whittier to Vancouver,May 2007 Sapphire Princess Vancouver to Whittier,May 2007 Sapphire Princess LA to Vancouver, January 2007 Golden Princess W. Carribean ,January 2007 Golden Princess, October 2006 Caribbean Princess W.Carribean, March 2006 Island Princess Hawaii, October 2005 Sea Princess Quebec to FLL, August 2005 Caribbean Princess, April 2005 Regal Princess Panama Canal ,November 2004 Coral Princess Panama Canal, August 2004 Grand Princess,(marrried my DH aboard the Grand Princess on August 4, 2004 in the Baltic Sea),October 2002 Grand Princess E. Caribbean,1970's and 1980'2: 3 Cruises Royal Caribbean and 2 cruises NCL
Mississippi
401 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
We've been on 3 different Princess ships recently and thoroughly enjoy International Cafe coffees, ranging from black and espresso to flavored coffee drinks. It also helped to have the AIBP. 😎
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cunard Adventurer (8/73) Caribbean
Cunard Ambassador (4/74) Caribbean
Carnival Celebrity (6/87) Bahamas/USVI
Carnival Ecstasy (5/89) Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy (11/97) Bahamas/Key West
Norwegian Spirit (2/08) Western Caribbean
Coral Princess (9/11) Alaska
Emerald Princess (2/14) Eastern Caribbean
Regal Princess (10/16) New England & Canada
Coral Princess (5/17) Alaska
Crown Princess (4/18) Mediterranean
868 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Originally posted by Hlitner
The International Cafe on Princess is comparable (and often better) then what we get on Celebrity.

Hank
I am not a coffe snob, not even close, but the coffe on a recent Celebrity cruise was undrinkable. I had several cappuccinos which were quite nice but the regular coffee . . .