Majestic Princess- what is different?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:15 PM.
175 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
I am considering a New Zealand cruise on the new Majestic Princess. In reading the reviews, the most common excuse for discontent is "ship is designed for the Asian Market". I am an American but love Asian food. Can anyone explain what exactly is different because the ship/staff is designed for the Asian Market?
Thanks!
SF Bay Area, CA
1,813 Posts
Joined May 2004
Here is is a promotional video for the Majestic:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L7Z79O...ature=youtu.be

Looks like more high end shops e.g. Prada, Cartier, etc.
More gaming space, my ancestors played mah jong
Karaoke lounges
Less lounges/bars
A grill that serves lobster and burgers/fries

We booked NZ for Mar 2019 and Fiji, New Caledonia, Vanuatu for Sep 2018. Excited to be on a new ship for a change. Not at all interested in sailing on the Sea, Sun, or Golden.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheryl
03/13/19 Majestic Princess - New Zealand RT from Sydney
12/22/18 Silversea Cloud Expedition - Antarctica RT from Ushuaia
09/15/18 Majestic Princess - Fiji, Vanuatu, New Caledonia RT from Sydney
07/05/18 Grand Princess - Alaska RT from SF
10/15/17 Grand Princess - California Coastal RT from SF
06/27/17 Pacific Princess - Norway, Spitsbergen, Murmansk RT from Dover
12/17/16 Royal Clipper - BVI Christmas Cruise RT from Barbados Pictures
04/02/16 Grand Princess - Hawaii RT from San Francisco Pictures
10/17/15 Grand Princess - CA Coastal RT from SF Pictures
01/03/15 Star Princess - Mexican Riviera RT from SF Pictures
04/06/14 Grand Princess - California Coastal RT from SF
02/08/13 Ocean Princess - French Polynesia RT from Papeete
09/24/12 Star Princess - Pacific Coastal
05/16/12 Island Princess - Alaska Inside Passage RT from Vancouver
05/13/12 Star Princess - Pacific Coastal
09/24/11 Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal
05/19/11 Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal
10/04/10 Island Princess - Pacific Coastal
05/22/10 Sea Princess - Alaska RT from SF
04/17/09 Star Princess - Mexican Riviera RT from SF
05/19/08 Coral Princess - Alaska Voyage of the Glaciers Southbound
05/12/08 Coral Princess - Alaska Voyage of the Glaciers Northbound
01/16/07 Tahitian Princess - French Polynesia & Marquesas Islands
05/26/06 Regal Princess - Alaska RT San Francisco (Haines, Sitka)
05/12/05 Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal
04/24/05 RCI Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean RT from Miami
04/17/04 Tahitian Princess - French Polynesia & Cook Islands
04/19/03 Star Princess - Mexican Riviera RT Long Beach
06/08/02 RCI Radiance of the Seas - Alaska RT from Vancouver
04/22/01 RCI Voyager of the Seas - Western Caribbean RT from Miami
Springfield, MO, USA
2,597 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
I didn't find that many differences other than some of the bars were removed for shops or restaurants.

Crooners is La Mer french restaurant (and I didn't see more than 2 tables a night dining there--it is a little odd with placement). That said, I think they could EASILY convert it to a bar if they find that the restaurant is not being booked as they hoped during the other sailings.

The bar service that is normal in lounges like Vista and Princess Live! are not there (they don't have a bar within the lounge and I only saw a server once during stuff like karaoke and trivia held in the lounges).

I did like that the Sanctuary is a "free" spot on Majestic. They do have some nice cabana spots you can pay for within the area, but anyone is free to enjoy the space.

While I love my Prego pizza on the Lido deck (and it is not the same as Alfredo's, in my opinion...I like Prego much better), it was a pleasant change to have the noodle bar and dim sum areas. They still served hot dog/hamburgers out of the dim sum grill while in the Med. I'm not sure if they will continue that in Asia, but I imagine they will when they go to Australia/NZ.

There is a new concept Harmony Chinese. Those that went seemed to like it. We did not end up going. It's a little too authentic for us. lol. I did miss Sabatini's but again, it wasn't a huge deal for us. I like that they are doing something different and for one cruise, that's fine for me.

We likely won't sail on Majestic again due to some of the changes, but not because it was bad. It was great to experience once and a nice change from the old normal, but I do like the normal offerings that I am used to seeing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Caribbean:1/00 RCI Sovereign | 1/02, 4/06 RCI Majesty | 12/05 RCI Rhapsody | 2/07 RCI Grandeur | 11/10 RCI Monarch | 2/12 RCI Liberty | 11/12 RCI Mariner | 1/14 RCI Allure| 8/15 RCI Serenade (Norwegian Fjords)
NCL:1/01 NCL Sea | 8/01 NCL SS Norway | 1/09, 2/14 NCL Sky
Princess: 8/11 Diamond Princess-(Alaska)| 7/12 Sapphire Princess-(Alaska) | 7/14 Island Princess (Alaska) | 2/15 Emerald Princess | 2/16 Caribbean Princess | 5/17 Majestic Princess (W. Mediterranean) | 8/18 Star Princess (aching to return to Alaska!)
Carnival: 1/91 Carnival Fantasy
Inland Empire, CA
10,088 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Celiac Cruiser
I am considering a New Zealand cruise on the new Majestic Princess. In reading the reviews, the most common excuse for discontent is "ship is designed for the Asian Market". I am an American but love Asian food. Can anyone explain what exactly is different because the ship/staff is designed for the Asian Market?

Thanks!
As others have posted, Crooners has been converted to a French restaurant. In addition, Club 6 has been converted to a VIP Gaming space. To provide the late night space lost with Club 6, the Retreat Pool has been changed to the Hollywood Pool Club with late night entertainment. Posters have stated that the only chairs are the lounge chairs by the pool which is not the best. Mahjong tables have been added to the Vista Lounge to convert it into the Vista Gaming Lounge although there is apparently still entertainment offered there. The shops appear to be stocked with high end merchandise.

A lot of minor tweaks but the loss of the bars in Club 6, Crooners and the Vista Gaming Lounge would appear to make it more difficult to get a drink on board
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruise: 11/17 - Ruby Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 09/18 - Golden Princess - Hawaii, Tahiti & South Pacific Crossing
Past Cruises: 11/16 - Pacific Princess - Adriatic & Aegean Connoisseur; 12/15 - Pacific Princess - 50th Anniversary Mexican Riviera; 2/15 - Crown Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Santa Barbara; 09/14 - Regal Princess - Grand Med (Left cruise in Mykonos after 6 days due to family medical issue at home); 03/14 - Grand Princess - 10 Day Mexico from SF; 01/14 - Sapphire Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 06/13 - Emerald Princess - Baltic; 01/13 - Island Princess - Panama Canal; 09/12 - Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal; 09/12 - Golden Princess - Inside Passage (B2B Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm); 09/11 - Sapphire Princess - California Coastal; 04/11 - Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera; 08/10 - Coral Princess - Voyage of the Glaciers; 03/10 - Star Princess - Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (The Shortened Post Earthquake Cruise); 02/10 - Star Princess - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso around Cape Horn (the Chilean Earthquake Cruise); 10/09 - Golden Princess - Hawaii; 11/07 - Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera; 02/07 - Grand Princess - Western Caribbean from Galveston; 04/06 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal RT from FLL; 10/04 - Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer from San Juan; 05/02 - Carnival Fantasy - Bahamas (3 Night)