Flight ease???

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:16 AM.
North Carolina
232 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
We are booked on a Holland America 12 day cruise leaving next April 30 from Venice and ending in Rome. Hollands flights were just what we wanted on Lufthansa and were 300 dollars per person less than I could get on my own. My question...my cruise consultant at Holland has these flights booked flexible which means I don't have to pay until final payment is due next Feb. but I can not choose seats until paid. Is it better to go ahead and pay for flights ie make them restricted so I can choose seats now, lock in the fare now etc...??? I have never used Hollands flight ease so I am curious on what is the best options for this....?????
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruises taken
Royal Caribbean- Mexican Riveria-1997
Holland America Maasdam- Caribbean-2001
Celebrity Mercury-2003-Caribbean
NCL-Caribbean-2004
Holland America Zuiderdam 2005-Caribbean
Princess Sun 2006 Southern Caribbean
Royal Caribbean- 2006 Caribbean
Princess- Caribbean Princess-2008 New England
Holland America Zuiderdam Caribbean 2008
Caribbean Princess Nov 2012

]URL=http://www.cruisecritic.com][/URL
New Mexico
4,592 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by moorerf
We are booked on a Holland America 12 day cruise leaving next April 30 from Venice and ending in Rome. Hollands flights were just what we wanted on Lufthansa and were 300 dollars per person less than I could get on my own. My question...my cruise consultant at Holland has these flights booked flexible which means I don't have to pay until final payment is due next Feb. but I can not choose seats until paid. Is it better to go ahead and pay for flights ie make them restricted so I can choose seats now, lock in the fare now etc...??? I have never used Hollands flight ease so I am curious on what is the best options for this....?????
I'm not sure about international flights but I was able to login to Alaska Airlines before final payment and choose my seats while using Flight Ease.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Photo Reviews -OR--Menus, On Locations, and More

Oosterdam - Alaska - May 2008 (7 days)
Westerdam - Alaska - May 2009 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Eastern & Southern) - Feb 2010 (14 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2010 (7 days)
Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera - April 2011 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska - Sep 2011 (B2B 14 days)
Noordam - Caribbean Seafarer - Mar 2012 (11 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2012 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Southern) - Dec 2012 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska - May 2013 (B2B 14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal Sunfarer- Nov 2013 (10 days)
Westerdam - Alaska - Jul 2014 (B2B 4 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Dec 2014 Caribbean - (East-West 14 days)
Noordam - Pacific Coastal - May 2015 (5 days)
Noordam - Alaska - May 2015 (B2B 14 days)

Oosterdam - Southern Caribbean - Nov 2015
(11 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Pacific Coastal - Apr 2016 (5 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska Inside Passage - April 2016 (B2B 14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal - Nov 2016 (10 days)
Noordam - Alaska - Jun 2017 (Northbound includes Denali) (12 days)
Veendam - Caribbean - Dec 2017 (14 days)
Zaandam - Alaska - May 2017 (14 days)

Nieuw Statendam - Caribbean - Jan 2019 (14 days)

Central Texas
1,315 Posts
Joined May 2014
Usually the flexible fare is lower than the restricted. We haven't used flight ease as of yet but will be looking at pricing for our Oct 2018 Med cruise when available.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Centerville, Ohio, USA
8,751 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
I am using HAL's Flight Ease for my December flight to Santiago on Delta with a return in January on Delta from Buenos Aires. I have confirmed a confirmed seat assignment on each flight.

Maybe an airline restriction is preventing this, but I would "quiz" your PCC further about this and see if it is an airline restriction issue. Either that person ought to know or be able to find out.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
52 cruises: 31 Holland America, 4 Princess, 4 Carnival, 3 Pacific Far East Line, 2 Cunard, 2 Royal Viking Line, 1 each: Celebrity Cruises, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Sitmar, American Hawaii, Home Lines
Virginia
406 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
I would use caution paying airfare in full now. I have booked flights through Flight Ease on both American and Delta only to have both airlines change schedules to the point they were unusable.
Central Texas
1,315 Posts
Joined May 2014
If the airline changes the flight then you should be protected and able to change your flights with no change fees.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

3,458 Posts
Joined May 2001
My experience with European airlines is that you cannot choose a free seat assignment until a day or two before travel. You can, however, pay a fee to choose your seat now. If you have very elite status with a partner airline to Lufthansa you may be able to choose a free seat now.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Virginia
406 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by freestyling
If the airline changes the flight then you should be protected and able to change your flights with no change fees.
This would be fine if any of the same airline flights would help. Doesn't do much good if you have to change airlines.
Virginia
21,820 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Looking at this page from the Lufthansa website, it appears most people will have to pay to reserve a seat in advance.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

My Cruise Blogs
World Voyage Blog - http://kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com/
A Winter Crossing - http://cunard2015.blogspot.com
The Sail-Away Gang's Cruise - http://westerdam2015.blogspot.com/
Fall Foliage Cruise -http://fallfoliagecruise2015.blogspot.com/
South Pacific/North to Alaska - http://halcruises2016.blogspot.com/

Evangeline - Nassau - 1960
Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt - EB TA - 1962
Queen Mary - WB TA - 1962
Raffaello - Caribbean - 1968
MV Three Gorges - Yangtze River - 1988
Atlas - Nile River - 1995
Olympic - Aegean Sea - 1996
Constellation - Baltic Sea - 2005
Disney Fantasy - Caribbean - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014
Queen Elizabeth - Southampton to Fort Lauderdale - 2015

Westerdam - FLL to Seattle with the "Sail-away Gang" - 2015
Liberty of the Seas - Canada/New England - 2015
Westerdam - Hawaii, Tahiti, and the Marquesas with the "Pearls of the Pacific" - 2016
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 2016
Petaluma, Ca. 94954
29,365 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Originally posted by retafcruiser
This would be fine if any of the same airline flights would help. Doesn't do much good if you have to change airlines.
Thanks for showing another advantage of booking your own flight, rather than cruise air. Definitely an advantage. Just another reason why we don't book cruise airfares.
178 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
We have booked air both for ourselves and using FlightEase. There are advantages to both. We have been able to book the exact seats we wanted using FlightEase well in advance of the final payment. We have not, however, used Lufthansa. You will get a confirmation code from HAL and we have been able to use that code to look up each of our airlines flights. We did NOT use the same airline round trip.
Great you are asking questions, please report back what you found for your specific case. Have a great cruise.
Maine
193 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
I have a HAL cruise booked via a TA for next year. I wanted to price out airfare with HAL. My TA told me to call HAL as he does not do airfare with HAL. So, can I call HAL myself?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
July 2017, RC Serenade of the Seas, 7 Night Scandinavia and Russia
April 2016, HAL Eurodam, Europe Mediterranean
June 2014, HAL Westerdam, Alaska Explorer
June 2013, HAL Volendam, Alaska Glacier Bay
Kent, OH
2,714 Posts
Joined May 2007
I had flex air through Flight Ease for my trip last June. I was able to do seat assignments on United, but not on American before final payment date. It depends on the airline, not Flight Ease or whether it is flexible or restricted.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Debbie
Centerville, Ohio, USA
8,751 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by ChinaShrek
I have a HAL cruise booked via a TA for next year. I wanted to price out airfare with HAL. My TA told me to call HAL as he does not do airfare with HAL. So, can I call HAL myself?
My answer to your question is based on what I believe I have learned from reading this Message Board, not on personal experience with your specific situation. My TA does help me book air arrangements with HAL.

Surely, you can call HAL. But, if your cruise is booked through a travel agent, HAL may insist that you work directly with your travel agent and will not be able to offer any additional booking assistance for you.

If this is their answer, contact your travel agent again and ask if he is a member of any travel consortium such as Virtuoso. If so, your agent ought to be able to help you book air through such an organization. (And, it may be at a better price than you could do on your own.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
52 cruises: 31 Holland America, 4 Princess, 4 Carnival, 3 Pacific Far East Line, 2 Cunard, 2 Royal Viking Line, 1 each: Celebrity Cruises, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Sitmar, American Hawaii, Home Lines
Nevada
124 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
So we booked via Flight Ease for our flight to Australia in January. We did the flex flight. We found that by booking through HAL we saved a bunch of money (at least $400 over the least expensive flights we could find on our own). The downside is that we have a very long layover at LAX. Once we got our confirmation number from HAL, we were able to request our seats. This is a Virgin Australia flight with a Delta connection to LAX. I don't suppose those seats are guaranteed until we make our final payment in October, but for now we have seat assignments of our choice. Virgin Australia shows the seats as ours when we go directly to their website. Don't know if that's true for all airlines, but it worked for us! Best of luck!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

SS Azure Seas - 1987 - Mexican Riviera
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam - 1989 - Inside Passage to Alaska
Disney Magic - 2001 - Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Star - 2004 - Hawaiian Islands
RCL Voyager of the Seas - 2006 - Western Caribbean
Star Princess - 2010 - Baltics
Viking Njord - 2012 - Amsterdam to Budapest with Prague
Caribbean Princess - 2016 - British Isles