SanDisk SD cards

tommui987

Great specisls everywhere on SD memory but ...

SanDisk uses color coding - what is the difference and what would you buy - the red/white/blue disk, the silver ones, the yellow ones, the black ones?

On most of the card types, SanDisk not only states the Speed Class and U-Type but includes the Read/Write speed.

Red/White/Blue base SDHC/SDXC card - Class 4 (Min. 4MB/s read/write) (The Yugo GL of memory cards.)

Silver/Red Ultra SDHC/SDXC - Class 10 (Min. 10MB/s read/write) - Up to 80MB/s read speed for 16GB-128GB cards and up to 40MB/s for the 8GB cards. Write speed is lower (usually about half).

Silver/Red Ultra Plus SDHC/SDXC - Class 10/U-1 (Min. 10MB/s read/write) - Up to 80MB/s read speed for 16GB-128GB cards. Write speed is lower (again, about half).

Yellow/Red Extreme SDHC/SDXC - Class 10(Min. 10MB/s read/write) - U-3 (Min. 30MB/s read/write) - Up to 90MB/s read speed for 16GB-128GB cards. Write speed is 40MB/s for 16GB-64GB and 60MB/s for 128GB-256GB cards. Will record normal 4k video nicely and exceed the burst speed of most cameras.

Yellow/Red Extreme Plus SDHC/SDXC - Class 10(Min. 10MB/s read/write) - U-3 (Min. 30MB/s read/write) - Up to 90MB/s read speed and 60MB/s write speed for 16GB-64GB cards. Will record normal 4k video nicely and exceed the write speed of most cameras.

Black/Red Extreme Pro UHS-I SDHC/SDXC - Class 10(Min. 10MB/s read/write) - U-3 (Min. 30MB/s read/write) - Up to 95MB/s read speed and 90MB/s write speed for 32GB-512GB cards. Will record normal 4k video nicely and exceed the write speed of all but a few cameras.

Black/Red Extreme Pro UHS-II SDHC/SDXC - Class 10(Min. 10MB/s read/write) - U-3 (Min. 30MB/s read/write) - Up to 300MB/s read speed and 260MB/s write speed for 32GB-128GB cards. Will record raw 4k video and exceed the write speed of all current cameras.

Note that if you decide to go with the 300MB/s cards, you will not get any benefit in burst speed or card clearing over the even the Ultra Plus cards and you will need a USB 3.0 or 3.1 reader to make use of the speed for downloading. The UHS-II cards have a second row of pins used by compatible UHS-II readers and equipment but are backwards compatible.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Dave beat me to explaining the color differences of the cards.

Here's a link for an explanation of the numbers on a memory card - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/computers/tips-and-solutions/numbers-your-memory-card

The best advice I can give on which to buy is consult the User's Manual for your camera. There should be a section that lists the approved memory cards for your camera. Then you can compare the price of the cards, read/write capacity and storage size vs the cost of each type card.

• 3 weeks later...

If you shoot RAW, I wouldn't go lower than Extreme Plus. I've tried Extreme and below as well, which is how I've settled on Extreme Plus as the bare minimum.

Cameras used were Nikon D7000 and D750. I had a D200, but I don't think I ever shot RAW on it.