Looking for Tasmania Info - Burnie Tours - Cradle Mountain or Not

diane.in.ny

This will be our second trip to Tasmania. Our first was only a stop in Hobart and we went to Mt Field and the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary, both of which we enjoyed very much and made me want to come back to the island.

Our second visit will include a stop in Burnie. Seems like 'the thing' to do is Cradle Mountain but we've been presented with another alternative: Wings Wildlife plus scenic touring that includes Guide Falls, Fernglade Reserve and Hellyer's Road whiskey distillery, all of which are also of interest. This will also include scenic coast and inland driving.

I know if we do Candle Mountain that will pretty much be it for the day but it is supposed to be quite beautiful. On the other hand, the second option gives us an opportunity to see more of the area.

Opinions?

This will be our second trip to Tasmania. Our first was only a stop in Hobart and we went to Mt Field and the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary, both of which we enjoyed very much and made me want to come back to the island.

Our second visit will include a stop in Burnie. Seems like 'the thing' to do is Cradle Mountain but we've been presented with another alternative: Wings Wildlife plus scenic touring that includes Guide Falls, Fernglade Reserve and Hellyer's Road whiskey distillery, all of which are also of interest. This will also include scenic coast and inland driving.

I know if we do Candle Mountain that will pretty much be it for the day but it is supposed to be quite beautiful. On the other hand, the second option gives us an opportunity to see more of the area.

Opinions?

Cradle mountain is wonderful, and we did it on one cruise (and a few times on land tours) from Devonport, and in my honest opinion I’d never do it as a day trip again.

You will need the better part of 4 hours by coach for the round trip and probably only get two or three hours at the Mountain.

Cradle mountain is wonderful, and we did it on one cruise (and a few times on land tours) from Devonport, and in my honest opinion I’d never do it as a day trip again.

You will need the better part of 4 hours by coach for the round trip and probably only get two or three hours at the Mountain.

Thank you. Very helpful.

I too agree that a trip to Cradle Mountain is too much for one day.

The day we did the tour was dreary and rainy and too be honest, I was underwhelmed.

I did see a wild wombat though, and for that reason alone, I’m pleased I did the trip. But had that not been the case, I feel that it would have been a long day on a bus for not enough reward. Just my opinion of course.

I too agree that a trip to Cradle Mountain is too much for one day.

The day we did the tour was dreary and rainy and too be honest, I was underwhelmed.

I did see a wild wombat though, and for that reason alone, I’m pleased I did the trip. But had that not been the case, I feel that it would have been a long day on a bus for not enough reward. Just my opinion of course.

I have never been to Cradle Mt and NOT seen a Wombat.

I have never been to Cradle Mt and NOT seen a Wombat.

Fantastic. Sounds like the chances are better than I thought.

I’m slowly ticking of wild Australian animals, with my most recent trip scoring many koala views as well as an echidna and a few emu.

To get my big 5, I now need to find a platypus. :D

Fantastic. Sounds like the chances are better than I thought.

I’m slowly ticking of wild Australian animals, with my most recent trip scoring many koala views as well as an echidna and a few emu.

To get my big 5, I now need to find a platypus. :D

That won’t be easy, if you mean in the wild.

That won’t be easy, if you mean in the wild.

Yes, I know. One of my Australian friends went on a hunt for Platypus last year and found a few. But I could tell from all her Facebook comments that such spottings were rare.

I have not included the Tassie Devil on the wishlist as I think that’s hoping for the impossible :')

Yes, I know. One of my Australian friends went on a hunt for Platypus last year and found a few. But I could tell from all her Facebook comments that such spottings were rare.

I have not included the Tassie Devil on the wishlist as I think that’s hoping for the impossible :')

Better chance of a devil (in Tasmania of course) than a Platypus. In my opinion.

I was lucky used to live in a spot that had a few Platypi in the creek down the bush. Saw them frequently, but never saw them anywhere else in the wild.

I recommend this operator: https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/Attraction_Review-g504286-d2433472-Reviews-Play_A_Round_in_Tassie_Day_Tours-Burnie_Tasmania.html. Robyn was a consummate host and we'd use her again without hesitation.

Thank you. Robyn is exactly who I am working with and she was the one that advised that Cradle Mountain was a long trip and made some other suggestions.

Based on the Replies I have received, I think we'll go with Robyn's suggestion and go with the 'other.' :D

Opinions?

Agree that this sounds like a much better choice for a day tour. Hope you have a wonderful day. In my opinion, Cradle Mountain is one of those special places which require at least an overnight there to appreciate it from dawn to dusk.

Agree that this sounds like a much better choice for a day tour. Hope you have a wonderful day. In my opinion, Cradle Mountain is one of those special places which require at least an overnight there to appreciate it from dawn to dusk.

Thank you.

Looks like the day tour around the area is the way to go

• 2 months later...