Walking to Atlantis from Pier?

QuickieGlenn

Is it possible to walk from the cruise pier to Atlantis?

Any idea how long it would take?

I did it over 30 years ago and a lot has changed

Just asking is that I use a wheelchair full time and sometimes I cannot find transportation willing to take me and then I have to worry about the return trip

I can transfer to a car but most taxis are trucks or minivans

I have looked into a wheelchair van but they charge and arm and a leg

I am sorry if this is not much help. I was just there and it honestly looked like quite a walk to Atlantis. You can probably check google maps. There was bus transportation available for some organized groups as well as shared vans so you might be able to manage a ride. I'll warn you though, when I was in port there were 3 other ships and the place was jammed.

• 3 weeks later...
It's a couple of miles. You would be insane to try and do that in a wheelchair on the broken sidewalks in Nassau. I would suggest reaching out to a specific taxi operator. Try http://www.cherylbahamastaxiandtours.com/

Might be a bit insane, I conquered the cobblestones of San Jaun and pushed all the way to the fort

Is it possible to walk from the cruise pier to Atlantis?

Any idea how long it would take?

I did it over 30 years ago and a lot has changed

Just asking is that I use a wheelchair full time and sometimes I cannot find transportation willing to take me and then I have to worry about the return trip

I can transfer to a car but most taxis are trucks or minivans

I have looked into a wheelchair van but they charge and arm and a leg

The bridge has a 73 ft crest.. It's not an easy walk for anyone.

Just show up at the pier exit and the taxi guy will hail a van for you. MOST taxi's are large van's these days.

The fair should be $11 for 2 ppl plus 2 for the toll. He may charge you for the wheelchair, which could be 2-4$

Make sure you agree on a price before getting in a cab

Might be a bit insane, I conquered the cobblestones of San Jaun and pushed all the way to the fort

The fort is 1/4 mile and the streets are in better shape than Nassau. Takimg a wheelchair miles to Atlantis is highly unrealistic.

The fort is 1/4 mile and the streets are in better shape than Nassau. Takimg a wheelchair miles to Atlantis is highly unrealistic.

Have you seen the cobblestones in San Juan, or the narrow sidewalks or the 12" tall curbs and that big hill to get to the fort, I have also pushed from the ship to down town in St Thomas, Thanks for telling me what I can't do that just makes me do it, and I getting in a tall taxi is impossible without the use of your legs

Have you seen the cobblestones in San Juan, or the narrow sidewalks or the 12" tall curbs and that big hill to get to the fort, I have also pushed from the ship to down town in St Thomas, Thanks for telling me what I can't do that just makes me do it, and I getting in a tall taxi is impossible without the use of your legs

You asked a question and people have replied as you have requested. Just because you don’t like the answers doesn’t mean that you need to get nasty (and yes, I read this post as nasty).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Give it a go Glenn, you sound determined.

You asked a question and people have replied as you have requested. Just because you don’t like the answers doesn’t mean that you need to get nasty (and yes, I read this post as nasty).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. Why even ask the question in the first place? Go for it. Wheel yourself to Atlantis, obviously up for the challenge.

I agree. Why even ask the question in the first place? Go for it. Wheel yourself to Atlantis, obviously up for the challenge.

If you read my post I asked if it is possible to walk to Atlantis or and how long it would take

I did not ask if you think I could do it

or being told just take a taxi

If you think what I wrote was nasty, it wasn't

Some people don't have a clue

Thanks for all the replys

If you read my post I asked if it is possible to walk to Atlantis or and how long it would take

I did not ask if you think I could do it

or being told just take a taxi

If you think what I wrote was nasty, it wasn't

Some people don't have a clue

Thanks for all the replys

You said you have done it before, then asked if it was possible. Why wouldn't it be possible?

Then you said it's because you have a hard time getting transportation, and I provided an outstanding transportation company and mentioned, that while possible, would be unreasonably challenging and far. Sure, it's possible, go for it.

To which you came back with snarky replies. By all means, take your wheel chair the couple of miles on Nassau sidewalks to Atlantis. I wouldn't walk it, let alone do it in a wheelchair... But you'll show us! Whatever motivates you, enjoy it.

You said you have done it before, then asked if it was possible. Why wouldn't it be possible?

Then you said it's because you have a hard time getting transportation, and I provided an outstanding transportation company and mentioned, that while possible, would be unreasonably challenging and far. Sure, it's possible, go for it.

To which you came back with snarky replies. By all means, take your wheel chair the couple of miles on Nassau sidewalks to Atlantis. I wouldn't walk it, let alone do it in a wheelchair... But you'll show us! Whatever motivates you, enjoy it.

I did the walk 30 years ago before I was in a wheelchair and a lot can change in 30 years

Yes you provided me with a link, thanks, But it is hard to transfer into a van..but how would you know that

Thanks Again

In case you don't want to walk. We did the Blue Lagoon excursion through Carnival. I had a daughter in a wheelchair so I am cognizant of accessibility issues. The ferry was wheelchair accessible and some of the ferries stopped at Atlantis. I am not positive getting off at Atlantis was accessible (but it was at blue lagoon). So that might work out for you. You might try calling Atlantis to see how they recommend people from cruise ships in wheelchairs get there. If you have any interest, I think you could also do the Blue Lagoon Family Beach Day or VIP day if you want a beach day. I would call them, but I swear I saw water wheelchairs there. You would definately be able to safely "swim" there if you are able to transfer from your chair to a car. I didn't much like Blue Lagoon. It felt very tourist trappy and contrived to me but we are aggressive ocean people. It might just not have been a fit for how we like to do the beach. You might also ask on the disabled cruisers board here for advice. I wouldn't be willing to do the walk to Atlantis on foot. Nassau felt very unsafe to me.

In case you don't want to walk. We did the Blue Lagoon excursion through Carnival. I had a daughter in a wheelchair so I am cognizant of accessibility issues. The ferry was wheelchair accessible and some of the ferries stopped at Atlantis. I am not positive getting off at Atlantis was accessible (but it was at blue lagoon). So that might work out for you. You might try calling Atlantis to see how they recommend people from cruise ships in wheelchairs get there. If you have any interest, I think you could also do the Blue Lagoon Family Beach Day or VIP day if you want a beach day. I would call them, but I swear I saw water wheelchairs there. You would definately be able to safely "swim" there if you are able to transfer from your chair to a car. I didn't much like Blue Lagoon. It felt very tourist trappy and contrived to me but we are aggressive ocean people. It might just not have been a fit for how we like to do the beach. You might also ask on the disabled cruisers board here for advice. I wouldn't be willing to do the walk to Atlantis on foot. Nassau felt very unsafe to me.

Thank you very much

Geez! Give the guy a break! He said it was a long time ago and he wasn't sure what had changed.

With that said, I, myself wouldn't walk it, (I have a very bad ankle and DH has two new knees). It seems far even in a cab. And, yes, coming back could be a challange finding a car/van etc that will accommodate you....unless you make a deal with the cab driver to come back for you at whatever time works for you.

Personally I would book a wheel chair accessable shore excursion to Atlantis. But you sound like one tough bird and you can probably do it!

Good luck...let us know what you find out.

Just going to add this... there are sections of the walk that are a bit shady (sketchy). Areas are not touristy, so they are not patrolled for safety. There are robberies and assaults that happen from time to time, and you're being in a wheelchair may make you a target. If you are going with a group, no problem... If it's just you and the wife, I'd pass.

These days, I recommend everyone stay in the tourist areas and be aware of your surroundings.