Wearing dress shorts in MDR on Adventure of the Seas

It's a slippery slope you are on grapau. Last night it was dress shorts in Tenerife, next thing you know it will be dress shorts in the MDR. :eek:

The fashion police have their eyes on you now. :D

I don't judge people ever for what they wear.

We always dress smart on the ship but very often i like to wear Izod shorts and Ralph Lauren polo shirts and Ralph Lauren deck shoes day and night time in hot locations like Spain, Tenerife or Orlando.

My preference is to dine.

Al Fresco.

And, so do you think it’s ok to apply the same standard of dress dinning at a land based restaurant when you dine at dinner in the RCI’s Main Dining Room?

Looks like a nice restaurant they are at. I wouldn’t have a problem with anyone dressed like that on a cruise. That’s normally how many people look in Palm Beach. Graham, join us for dinner.

We always dress smart on the ship but very often i like to wear Izod shorts and Ralph Lauren polo shirts and Ralph Lauren deck shoes day and night time in hot locations like Spain, Tenerife or Orlando.

My preference is to dine.

Al Fresco.

Find that at times Al Fresco has the benefit of fresh meat:D

Find that at times Al Fresco has the benefit of fresh meat:D

We are staying at Hotel Jardins De Nivaria in

Costa Adeje Tenerife and love the outdoor restaurant plus it has a large outdoor grill area and several chefs cooking fantastic food especially steaks and fresh lobster.

The indoor restaurants are like MDR and speciality restaurants on ships but have a very strict dress code.

On a cruise for dinner we dress up a bit. Nothing too fancy but the adult men in our party wear pants and a nice shirt. Personally, I think it is about respect for the other guests and we enjoy looking nice for a nice dinner. If we want to dress like we are at the beach or Applebee’s, we can choose to go to the buffet.

Here is a picture of my DW and I on the last Formal night. I bought the Shorts in Bermuda, at a Fine Men's wear store and was told they are "Formal" Bermuda shorts. Posted with No apologies.

fornal photo #1

Don't see any photo.:confused:

I respect the rules. My issue is that the rules are outdated.

There is no reason that nice shorts should not be allowed in the MDR.

Society evolves. So should our dress guidelines.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

March is my first RCCL cruise since 2009, largely due to what I found in those days as unnecessary rigid dining rules around times and dress. I'm all for formal wear, but also prefer to not carry it all the way from the Canadian Arctic where we were living at the time.

We've since sailed NCL which had more flexibility. With my-time and some of the 'society evolves' as you put it, I have a feeling this will be the right fit now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Warrenhull, you wear what you want to wear and enjoy!

If others want to let what someone else wears ruin their meal, or the vacation, that’s on them! Good luck to you and I hope you continue to rehabilitate!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello Everyone

I saw this thread, awhile ago, and though it was time to join in, and wondered how my own situation plays into this debate ?

I was a back seat passenger in a car that was involved in a road traffic accident (not our fault) 27 years ago.

As a result of this crash i was in a coma for 3 months, then spent the next 10 years learning to walk, talk, and eat again.

Not after anyone's sympathy, but I have recovered extremely well, far better than the prognosis that the neurosurgeons gave me.

My point regarding this discussion is, because of my difficulties with mobility, I have a device strapped to my leg, linked to a pressure sensor by a cable in my shoe.

Now because of this device, I can now walk unaided, with just a slight limp.

Now I need constant access to this electronic device, to change settings, as and when required.

Sometimes it can be hours sometimes every 10-15 minutes, depending on sitting, rising, many different situations.

So I can wear my device, or without it, be in a wheelchair !

So you have probably realised by now the point of my post.

Do I wear smart shorts, shirt, maybe even a jacket (worn jacket and shorts to many occasions before ,

and go to the MDR, perhaps even the formal night, and get many of those disgusted looks, comments, and raised eyebrows, that many in this message board think is appropriate,

or do I eat elsewhere ?

I understand, gym shorts and a t-shirt argument, but I will look smart, make an effort, but I will be in shorts.

I will speak to them at customer services, about the formal night, but the point is, I will spend the whole cruise in shorts (as I have done for the last 15 years)

((no electronic device before then)).

Everybody's circumstances are different, and I wear shorts because of medical reasons, and I have learned to take people's high and mighty opinions with a pinch of salt, and feel sorry for them, because they are the type of people than make judgments, without knowledge or information !

Many people ask about the device on my leg, and are interested, and I show them how it works, and what it does.

I have done this 1000's of times over the last 15 years.

I never tire of that, and an pleased people want to know what is on my leg, and how it helps make my life easier, and more happy, because without it, I do hurt, and have very restricted mobility.

So do I spoil mine, and my family's cruise, restricting our dining arrangements, or do I put up with those condescending stares, and scornful comments, from those that don't ask, and just judge !

Do I just try to ignore those thoughts, and words, from people, and be thankful i am not as small minded as them.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Forums mobile app

Congrats on being a survivor and making the most of each day!

If your device is visible, I doubt you will actually get many "condescending stares"......especially if the rest of the family dresses to agree with the "guidelines".

I believe that most people have a good feel for when someone is dressing a certain way due to medical issues versus dressing in shorts because they don't want to pack pants or just want to go against the dress code/guidelines/suggestions.

If the whole family is in shorts on formal night....then that is a different story.

It is not so much how someone is actually dressed that bothers me.....it is the fact that they choose to ignore the "request/suggestion/guideline/code" WHEN they are quite capable of honoring those.

Bare feet and bikinis in dining areas are a whole different topic!

Hello Everyone

I saw this thread, awhile ago, and though it was time to join in, and wondered how my own situation plays into this debate ?

I was a back seat passenger in a car that was involved in a road traffic accident (not our fault) 27 years ago.

As a result of this crash i was in a coma for 3 months, then spent the next 10 years learning to walk, talk, and eat again.

Not after anyone's sympathy, but I have recovered extremely well, far better than the prognosis that the neurosurgeons gave me.

My point regarding this discussion is, because of my difficulties with mobility, I have a device strapped to my leg, linked to a pressure sensor by a cable in my shoe.

Now because of this device, I can now walk unaided, with just a slight limp.

Now I need constant access to this electronic device, to change settings, as and when required.

Sometimes it can be hours sometimes every 10-15 minutes, depending on sitting, rising, many different situations.

So I can wear my device, or without it, be in a wheelchair !

So you have probably realised by now the point of my post.

Do I wear smart shorts, shirt, maybe even a jacket (worn jacket and shorts to many occasions before ,

and go to the MDR, perhaps even the formal night, and get many of those disgusted looks, comments, and raised eyebrows, that many in this message board think is appropriate,

or do I eat elsewhere ?

I understand, gym shorts and a t-shirt argument, but I will look smart, make an effort, but I will be in shorts.

I will speak to them at customer services, about the formal night, but the point is, I will spend the whole cruise in shorts (as I have done for the last 15 years)

((no electronic device before then)).

Everybody's circumstances are different, and I wear shorts because of medical reasons, and I have learned to take people's high and mighty opinions with a pinch of salt, and feel sorry for them, because they are the type of people than make judgments, without knowledge or information !

Many people ask about the device on my leg, and are interested, and I show them how it works, and what it does.

I have done this 1000's of times over the last 15 years.

I never tire of that, and an pleased people want to know what is on my leg, and how it helps make my life easier, and more happy, because without it, I do hurt, and have very restricted mobility.

So do I spoil mine, and my family's cruise, restricting our dining arrangements, or do I put up with those condescending stares, and scornful comments, from those that don't ask, and just judge !

Do I just try to ignore those thoughts, and words, from people, and be thankful i am not as small minded as them.

You deserve to be respected and with the device on your leg it will be fairly obvious why you have to wear shorts.

Its a shame that people make you feel you have to explain yourself to them.

I for one after hearing your story admire your determination and the people who tut are not worth bothering about.

Good luck and happy cruising.

I would like to thank those people that have given me such positive thoughts, and comments, and my family and i, will have a fantastic transatlantic voyage this October.

I have a very thick skin now, almost like an rhinoceros, not much difference in size either, HahaHaa !

I have now for many years, let those negative thoughts, and feelings just pass me by.

Again, your comments have put a smile on my face, and a warmth in my heart.

The world is full of wonderful people, it's just you have to look for them, with a clear mind, and soul ,and then you will see the goodness in the world !

If you don't look with your eyes fully open, you will become self centred, and miss so much life has to offer !

Best Wishes, and thoughts to you all 🌷

Great attitude.

I hope your transatlantic cruise in October is fantastic.

Quite admirable.. :)

i like to wear Izod shorts and Ralph Lauren polo shirts and Ralph Lauren deck shoes day and night

That's cool, just don't try to wear that same shorts / polo outfit on a HAL Gala night for dinner. Not allowed..;)

Congrats on being a survivor and making the most of each day!

If your device is visible, I doubt you will actually get many "condescending stares"......especially if the rest of the family dresses to agree with the "guidelines".

I believe that most people have a good feel for when someone is dressing a certain way due to medical issues versus dressing in shorts because they don't want to pack pants or just want to go against the dress code/guidelines/suggestions.

If the whole family is in shorts on formal night....then that is a different story.

It is not so much how someone is actually dressed that bothers me.....it is the fact that they choose to ignore the "request/suggestion/guideline/code" WHEN they are quite capable of honoring those.

Bare feet and bikinis in dining areas are a whole different topic!

What she said..

Can you enlighten us all on what your definition of 'nice shorts' is, since we will all have a different interpretation?

I don't feel like that question was asked in good faith. No matter what someone posts a photo of you'll shoot it down with a canned "no such thing as 'nice' shorts".

I don't feel like that question was asked in good faith. No matter what someone posts a photo of you'll shoot it down with a canned "no such thing as 'nice' shorts".
Many people turn up their nose at the notion that I have nice jeans too. I've had people scoff at me when I mention wearing jeans in the MDR.

I feel that many of them would be better suited for Azamra or Crystal cruises.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Quite admirable.. :)

That's cool, just don't try to wear that same shorts / polo outfit on a HAL Gala night for dinner. Not allowed..;)

I only wear shorts and polo shirts on a night in land based holidays like Disney world Orlando, Tenerife,Spain etc where we predominantly eat outside and the temperature is usually in the 70-90f range.

On a ship i never wear shorts and polo shirts after 6pm.