Pacific Ocean crossing to Hawaii

choochella

We are scheduled for an 11 night Hawaiin cruise leaving Ensenada, Mexico in September.

Never sailed the Pacific before. Always just the Caribbean and parts of the Atlantic.

Just a little concerned about weather in the Pacific in September. I know that the Atlantic hurricane season is in full force in September.

For those of you who have sailed the Pacific, how calm or choppy are the waters for that time of year?

Appreciate any responses.

We are scheduled for an 11 night Hawaiin cruise leaving Ensenada, Mexico in September.

Never sailed the Pacific before. Always just the Caribbean and parts of the Atlantic.

Just a little concerned about weather in the Pacific in September. I know that the Atlantic hurricane season is in full force in September.

For those of you who have sailed the Pacific, how calm or choppy are the waters for that time of year?

Appreciate any responses.

is unpredictable. We've sailed the Pacific 4 times and the first couple of days leaving Ensenada, or L.A., or San Francisco was a bit choppy and cool. September will be warm and ideal for sailing from the West Coast. Aloha and happy sailing.

The Pacific Ocean is always choppy on alternate Tuesdays and Thursdays, but only during months that have an R in their spelling.

On Leap Years, the choppiness switches to Mondays and Wednesdays.

Funny....... ask a simple question, get a stupid answer.

So hard to predict how rough the seas will be. We crossed from Vancouver to Hawaii in September a few years ago and thought it was fairly smooth although heard from someone else that they hated all the rocking. Might depend on your tolerance level more than anything. We always take bonine with us but rarely use it.

I don't think the sea conditions are a function of what time of year you go. There are hurricanes in the Pacific, but most likely won't affect your cruise, unless one is timed to hit the islands while you're actually there. If there's a storm at sea, the captain will try to sail in a slightly different direction. That happened on our second Hawaiian cruise. The captain announced he was varying the course to avoid a storm.

All three of our Hawaiian cruises were at the exact same time of year and our experiences in terms of sea conditions were different. And what the sailing before yours may experience could be different from yours. So that comment you may have felt was inappropriate actually had a bit of truth in it.

So I suggest packing some motion remedies that work for you, just in case.

The Pacific has a reputation for being rough. It was named Pacific by Ferdinand Magellan based on his experience with good winds on his 16th century voyage.

It is the largest ocean in the world, and winds and waves can anywhere.

There are places in the Pacific that have very bad reputations... in the South Pacific, just off San Francisco, heading north along the California Coast (south bound, with the current is generally a smoother ride) and in the North, near Alaska.

In September, you are in the Typhoon season... but few make it to Hawaii or the California coast... most are in the south or west side of our pond.

I got a chance to sail from Hawaii to Washington state on a Navy destroyer as a guest a few years ago in October. Destroyers don't have stabilizers... the ocean was like glass much of the time... The following year it was too rough off shore and our fleet week celebration was delayed the Navy was late arriving.

My wife and I do Pacific coast repositioning cruises with some regularity... they are more often gentle, but we did experience 24' seas off Vancouver Island, and have seen 12' seas off Baja...

Your experience may vary... but don't let the Pacific scare you...

Randy

The Pacific Ocean is always choppy on alternate Tuesdays and Thursdays, but only during months that have an R in their spelling.

On Leap Years, the choppiness switches to Mondays and Wednesdays.

Like! :D (Sorry but it IS funny!)

Thanks everyone. We have sailed the Caribbean and Atlantic coast many times and have encountered differences on various cruises. We normally always sail in the late fall and realize that we are still in hurricane season.

Normally, we haven't experienced choppy water or heightened waves, but some were. It only seems to bother me when I'm laying down. Don't mind so much during the day.

So, guess I'll take my Dramamine and hope for the best!! Really looking forward to Hawaii!!

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
Funny....... ask a simple question, get a stupid answer.
I'm sure his point was that there is NO way to predict the sea condition then - or any time in the Pacific. I wouldn't say that was a "simple question". The Pacific isn't like the Caribbean. Yes, it is also hurricane time in the Pacific in September.

We have a friend who had command of a US Navy ship based in San Diego. He would tell you to be prepared for any type of sea conditions.

• 4 years later...