Wheelchair assist for boarding at Cape Liberty

IWORK2CRUISE

I am recovering from a fractured kneecap.

We board Anthem of the Seas on 12/14.

I "may" be without crutches by then but I am not sure.

Is wheelchair assisted boarding readily available or do I need to request in advance through special needs?

Many thanks for any info!

Wheelchair assistance is provided at the terminal whether you notified RCCL's Special Needs Dept. in advance or not due to limited recourses. As to it being "readily" available depends on a several variables, your arrival time at the terminal number people arriving a head of you requiring WC assistance as well as the number of WC's and pusher available.

Upon arrival at the terminal you must proceed inside and advise the first RCCL representative you see that of the need for wheelchair assistance. You will than be directed to a waiting area and your name placed on list. Assistance is provided on a first come first served basis. The wait time depends on how many are a head of you on the list as there is limited number of wheelchair/pushers available. Once in a wheelchair you'll be taken through security and the check-in process. After check in you'll than be taken to another wait area where you again will be placed on a list . The wheelchair will not be left with you as it needs to return to where you started to assist others arriving with the same need. Once wheelchair boarding begins you'll be taken in the order you're on the list. How long that wait will be depends again on how many wheelchair/pushers are available and where you're on the list. To avoid an extended wait time it's best not to arrive early . If you plan to arrive early as the majority of passengers do than be prepared to wait. Generally plan to arrive after boarding has begun than I usually just breeze through the process.

Once on board if the cabins aren't open you will be taken to the public area of your choice and the wheelchair will not be left with you. Nor will wheelchair assistance be provided anything during the cruise including getting on/off the ship at port. If a wheelchair is necessary during the cruise you'll either have to bring one from home or rent one prior to the cruise. Wheelchair assistance is only provided on embarkation day and disembarkation day.

If assistance is required on disembarkation the newsletter left in the cabin the night before will state the location as to where you should go for wheelchair assistance. On disembarkation wheelchair assistance in done in order of the disembarkation number you were given the day before.

• 1 month later...

How exactly does wheelchair boarding work? We are cruising RCL in May with our daughter, who uses a wheelchair for distances, & in crowds, so we will definitely be boarding with her in the chair. (We can push the chair, so we don't need that kind of help). Last time we cruised (5 years ago), it was the same thing, & I don't recall any special boarding help with her, ie priority boarding. Any suggestions on making this easier on us?

How exactly does wheelchair boarding work? We are cruising RCL in May with our daughter, who uses a wheelchair for distances, & in crowds, so we will definitely be boarding with her in the chair. (We can push the chair, so we don't need that kind of help). Last time we cruised (5 years ago), it was the same thing, & I don't recall any special boarding help with her, ie priority boarding. Any suggestions on making this easier on us?

Being that your duaghter has her own chair and you'll be pushing all you need to do is check with a RCCL port representative who will direct you to the wheelchair lines and wheelchair check in if needed.

• 6 months later...

Are their any restrictions for bringing and using your own regular wheel chair? It sounds like once we arrive we ask for help or directions to check in with wheelchairs and that's it - is that right?