Awkward Solo Moments

adaymerced

I think I'm going to make out a card which says "I'm not finished" to leave on my table. Maybe "I'm coming back" would be politer?

Exactly what I was thinking. I was going to make a little stand-up card, like a dinner place card, that says "I will return momentarily." I think it would be useful to have in the buffet, to leave on my lounge chair by the pool while I'm in the water, in the bathroom, or getting a drink from the bar.

As I once read somewhere, an extrovert gets his energy from being around others. For an introvert, being around others robs him of his energy, and he must have time alone to recharge.

Very interesting. All this time I never really realized that. Cruising for me gives me a chance to escape and it does wonders for me. Until I come back home that is. lol. Coming back home and back to work stinks.

One of the women stands up and loudly states "we are not comfortable with THAT at the table!". The Maitre D who was a major jack'**s the whole trip just kind of rolled his eyes and said "well I have to sit IT somewhere". I seriously wanted to crawl under the carpet and go back to my room. Instead I just sucked it up with out telling them all to collectively go ***K themselves or something equally harsh.

Wow! I cannot imagine anyone actually acting this way because they are sitting with a person traveling alone. In all my travels via cruise, land, and air I have never experienced this. That is just ridiculous and I think I would have definitely told them all to go *($# themselves and the maître de also.

The only awkward time I have is when I’m eating at the buffet. I’m never sure if they will clean off my place when I go up to get more food. I’ve have had that done and someone else is already sitting at “my” spot. I try to find a server and let them know I’ll be right back. This has worked out most times.

Don

Very easy solution. Always have a personal item with you when going to eat. Example: a cap or hat on your head. Just put it next to your plate before going back to get more food. A book works too.

Going through customs:

Agent: How many family members are with you?

Me: 0

Agent: so you went on a cruise all by yourself, no family members or friends?

Me: yes sir. I just wanted some R&R for myself.

Agent: looks through passport to see what stamps are posted. Probably looking for places like Yemen or any country ending in "stan."

Didn't bother me but it was the only moment I had on one trip.

Going through customs:

Agent: How many family members are with you?

Me: 0

Agent: so you went on a cruise all by yourself, no family members or friends?

Me: yes sir. I just wanted some R&R for myself.

Agent: looks through passport to see what stamps are posted. Probably looking for places like Yemen or any country ending in "stan."

Didn't bother me but it was the only moment I had on one trip.

That's exactly the moment I had on this year's cruise. I have a whole thread dedicated to it. I was even taken to a separate room for secondary screening. I saw a few other cruisers there too, all solos plus one couple. After I got through customs, I ran into two of my friends from the ship. They told me it was because I was by myself. Apparently, customs agents see a solo cruiser, and think "drug runner" or something like that. It happened in Port Canaveral.

My experience last year in Port of Miami was a little bit better: just some questions on the spot about my work and stuff, no secondary screening. I don't know if it some ports are more strict than others, if I simply got a mean agent, or if it was because of the Boston incident that they worry more than usual.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
clarification

Apparently, customs agents see a solo cruiser, and think "drug runner" or something like that. It happened in Port Canaveral.

Hmmm. I hadn't considered that.

I have Global Entry and a Sentri Pass (these are CBP Trusted Traveler programs) and will take them with me on the next cruise.

Hmmm. I hadn't considered that.

I have Global Entry and a Sentri Pass (these are CBP Trusted Traveler programs) and will take them with me on the next cruise.

Unfortunately, GlobalEntry has not been propagated to the cruise terminal point of entries yet...most airports are covered though...

" They told me it was because I was by myself. Apparently, customs agents see a solo cruiser, and think "drug runner" or something like that. It happened in Port Canaveral. "

The first time I cruised from Port Canaveral I got a letter on the last night telling me that all Canadians and other "aliens" must report at 6 AM sharp for pre-clearance with US Customs. The Americans could sleep in and disembark, without this hassle, at their leisure. I didn't mind getting up early but I resent being called an "alien". I wanted to tell the agent that I was from the Canada galaxy, Toronto quadrant, but I didn't.

" They told me it was because I was by myself. Apparently, customs agents see a solo cruiser, and think "drug runner" or something like that. It happened in Port Canaveral. "

The first time I cruised from Port Canaveral I got a letter on the last night telling me that all Canadians and other "aliens" must report at 6 AM sharp for pre-clearance with US Customs. The Americans could sleep in and disembark, without this hassle, at their leisure. I didn't mind getting up early but I resent being called an "alien". I wanted to tell the agent that I was from the Canada galaxy, Toronto quadrant, but I didn't.

I'm curious. Why only Canadians? What about people from other countries?

• 2 weeks later...

Call me gregarious, friendly, bold, talkative, and overly forward but I can overcome those awkward solo moments while on the ship.

My awkward solo moment hits me like a ton of bricks when I disembark. No more party, no more disco, no more trivia, no more instant friends :( ...just me sitting in a big airport all by myself.

call me gregarious, friendly, bold, talkative, and overly forward but i can overcome those awkward solo moments while on the ship.

My awkward solo moment hits me like a ton of bricks when i disembark. No more party, no more disco, no more trivia, no more instant friends :( ...just me sitting in a big airport all by myself.

oh how very true !!!

• 1 month later...

LandlockedCruiser01: "There were those awkward "should I or maybe better not?" moments when getting into hot tubs with pre-existing groups already there. Eventually, I decided "why be embarrassed? I paid for those hot tubs". It was fine after that. I never got any hostile reactions."

This just made me feel A LOT better about my upcoming first solo cruise. Like a weight was just lifted off my chest. You're right. I paid for the cruise, I AM going to enjoy it like everyone else.

THANK YOU:):):)

LandlockedCruiser01: "There were those awkward "should I or maybe better not?" moments when getting into hot tubs with pre-existing groups already there. Eventually, I decided "why be embarrassed? I paid for those hot tubs". It was fine after that. I never got any hostile reactions."

This just made me feel A LOT better about my upcoming first solo cruise. Like a weight was just lifted off my chest. You're right. I paid for the cruise, I AM going to enjoy it like everyone else.

THANK YOU:):):)

Hi,:) I have cruised over 30 times solo....depends on how much room is in

that hot tub;) but I have gone in them plenty of times.....ususally everyone is friendly. Of course, you may get the idiot but you get them in real life too:rolleyes:.....

I am sailing again in August (solo of course LOL)....going to Bermuda

and plan on having a wonderful time.....I always do!

I'm a little worried about people confusing my "solo" trip, with looking around to meet people as a "single". I'm not looking to hook up.

Sent using CC app

I never even have that in my mind when I cruise.

I am 55 and way beyond worrying what folks think about that.

"Hooking up"? I don't even care if I meet other solo cruisers...I cruise

for me:) family, solo, divorced, whatever....I care more about if

folks are friendly. And to be honest, most people are not interested

if someone is on their own. Most cruisers are too busy having a good

time to concern themselves with someone else's martial status:D

Yea, you're right. It's funny a little that I'm nervous. I've been on four other cruises and plenty of vacations. On every vacation I met people, chatted it up, had a good time. So I don't know why a solo vacation has me nervous. It's a GOOD nervous though. To stretch my comfort zone and people skills.

Sent using CC app

I'm a little worried about people confusing my "solo" trip, with looking around to meet people as a "single". I'm not looking to hook up.

Boundaries! That's what it's about. Find the ones you're comfortable with, and enforce them. Think about the following. Will you be open to a possibility of a romantic encounter or keep all interactions stricly platonic? Will you accept if someone asks you to dance? What topics will you or won't you discuss with the people you meet? There's more, but you get the point. Wear a ring if you must, but don't be shy about enforcing your comfort zone.

You folks are deep

Sent using CC app

Nope, not deep, not me;)......I don't cruise to meet other solo

cruisers. I cruise to get pampered for a week, relax, eat, drink,

and yes, enjoy the peacefulness of sailing........

I mean if I meet someone else who happens to be solo? Fine, but

if not, no big deal to me.

I don't go to find people I am comfortable with.....I usually just

end up meeting folks at one of the bars:D...or possibly on an

excursion.....but as for some of the topics mentioned in the previous

post? Not everyone handles things that way.

I am very comfortable on my own:)

Wait. I have a winking face next to that. I was joking lol.

Totally understand what you mean. I am very comfortable enjoying things alone. I'll be fine. Just whining for no reason lol.

I reallly excited. I love cruise food

Sent using CC app

Wait. I have a winking face next to that. I was joking lol.

Totally understand what you mean. I am very comfortable enjoying things alone. I'll be fine. Just whining for no reason lol.

I reallly excited. I love cruise food

Sent using CC app

Oh, the wink did not show up;):D:)