Do I need Passport to Leave Ship?

Hello all,

As you can tell by my username, this is my first cruise experience! I'm going to Bermuda on a cruise in May and it's leaving from Boston and coming back to Boston (closed-loop) so my cruise line does not require a Passport. So, I'm taking my certified Birth Certificate and Drivers License with me to board.

My question: Do I need a passport to leave the ship to go onto the island (Bermuda) or do they just check a photo ID? I don't want to cruise to Bermuda if I can't explore the island!

Thanks! :)

Edited by FirstTimeCruisette

You do not need a passport in Bermuda or any Caribbean island.

To get off the ship your sign 'n sail card is pushed in a slot to show you got off the ship. When you come back you show a photo ID (driver's license) and your sign 'n sail card which is pushed in again to show you are back on board.

But a passport is very good to have and you NEVER take it off the ship. You can take a COPY of it if you want.

People think of passports being expensive but they are good for TEN years. You now need one if you want to go to Canada or any other country. If you plan to cruise again, think about getting one!

Thanks everyone. My reason for posting was peace of mind. I figured I didn't need a Passport to get on the island but someone recently told me that it changed and they checked for a passport before you could get on the island. It confused me so much. So, I wanted to make sure! Oh and, I'm not sure where that person got their information!

Welcome to Cruise Critic,

The only situation where you could need a passport is if air travel became necessary. I.e. if you missed the ship's sail-a-way out of Boston you would need a passport to fly to Bermuda to meet the ship. Likewise if you wanted to leave the cruise early while docked in Bermuda (i.e. family member becoming sick, injury etc.) it would not be possible to fly back home early without a passport. So long as an emergency such as this does not arise, you will not need a passport. As for the birth certificate please make sure it is an official government issued birth certificate and not the certificate of birth that hospitals sometimes hand out.

Welcome to Cruise Critic,

The only situation where you could need a passport is if air travel became necessary. I.e. if you missed the ship's sail-a-way out of Boston you would need a passport to fly to Bermuda to meet the ship. Likewise if you wanted to leave the cruise early while docked in Bermuda (i.e. family member becoming sick, injury etc.) it would not be possible to fly back home early without a passport. So long as an emergency such as this does not arise, you will not need a passport. As for the birth certificate please make sure it is an official government issued birth certificate and not the certificate of birth that hospitals sometimes hand out.[/quote]

Yes! I have a Certified Birth Certificate with a raised seal! Thanks for your wonderful information.

The only reason to take your passport off the ship would be to serve as the "photo ID" to get back onto the dock area to reboard your ship. In lieu of that, I carry my Passport Card; my photo ID.

Edited by Treven

The only reason to take your passport off the ship would be to serve as the "photo ID" to get back onto the dock area to reboard your ship.

Or... as has been stated already. If you have an accident etc. while on the Island and miss the ship sailing, the only way to get a flight home is with a passport. While it's true you won't need a passport to get back onto the ship, it misleading to say you will never need one. Like the commercial says (some CC company)... Don't leave home without it!!

Plus - the OP didn't say they didn't have a passport... only, do I need to take it with me.

Thank you for all your posts. I don't have a passport so I just wanted to make sure I would be all set. I understand that I would need a passport in case of emergency like to fly home - but that's a risk I am willing to take.

I know that I don't need one to board the ship. But I just wanted to make sure they didn't require that I have one to get on the island (they as in Bermuda). The only reason why I was confused was because someone told me that Bermuda wouldn't allow me to leave the ship without one. I really don't understand where they got that information from.

The only reason why I was confused was because someone told me that Bermuda wouldn't allow me to leave the ship without one. I really don't understand where they got that information from.

Do not take any advice from that person in the future.

On the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative Site it states:

"U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents."

When I talked to Norweigan Cruise line, they said that I shouldn't need a passport to enter. Has anyone been to Bermuda recently and know for sure that you don't need one? Because it really depends on location.

On the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative Site it states:

"U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents."

When I talked to Norweigan Cruise line, they said that I shouldn't need a passport to enter. Has anyone been to Bermuda recently and know for sure that you don't need one? Because it really depends on location.

You definitely do not need a passport for a Bermuda cruise. They accept whatever documentation satisfies the US requirements...such as a government agency issued birth certificate and photo ID. (And you don't need to bring your birth certificate ashore in Bermuda either. Just take your photo ID and your ship room key card. Once you've check in for your cruise just lock the birth certificate away in your room safe.)

Edited by njhorseman

Thanks everyone! You have been very helpful.

TravelState.gov also says....

"ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: All persons travelling between the United States and Bermuda are required to present a passport to enter Bermuda or re-enter the United States. Travelers with questions concerning travel to Bermuda may contact the British Embassy in Washington DC or any one of the British Consulate Generals across the U.S. Visit the British Embassy website for the most current visa information."

I'm assuming that's just by air?

"ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: All persons travelling between the United States and Bermuda are required to present a passport to enter Bermuda or re-enter the United States. Travelers with questions concerning travel to Bermuda may contact the British Embassy in Washington DC or any one of the British Consulate Generals across the U.S. Visit the British Embassy website for the most current visa information."

Are you a US Citizen? The information people have been providing pertains to US Citizens. The information you just posted pertains to people from the UK.

Yes that's just by air. The cruise requirements are exactly as have been stated. Exceptions for cruise passengers are common...in fact universally so in the Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Mexico.

Edited by njhorseman

Are you a US Citizen? The information people have been providing pertains to US Citizens. The information you just posted pertains to people from the UK.

No it doesn't... you're misreading it. Look at what it says : "ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS" It's just directing you to the British Embassy or Consulates if you have questions.

Edited by njhorseman

Yes that's just by air. The cruise requirements are exactly as have been stated. Exceptions for cruise passengers are common...in fact universally so in the Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Mexico.

Okay, thank you! It's so difficult because all these websites say different things for traveling. One say's you need a passport, another say's you dont. It's quite annoying.

Okay, thank you! It's so difficult because all these websites say different things for traveling. One say's you need a passport, another say's you dont. It's quite annoying.

Definitely agree with you. The rules are so convoluted! In the opinion of many travelers, it is better to have a passport. Then you won't have to worry about "what if.........". And, why on earth would anyone want to get details on what hemisphere they are sailing in? Oh my!

Edited by Travelcat2

In the opinion of many travelers, it is better to have a passport. Then you won't have to worry about "what if.........". And, why on earth would anyone want to get details on what hemisphere they are sailing in? Oh my!

I think it's smarter to just have a passport of course, but my trip to Bermuda via Cruise was very last minute and funds wise I can't afford a passport. I know I don't need one but I just wanted to make sure FOR SURE I didn't for my trip.

Lucky for me, I have a relative that lives in Bermuda so even though I'm taking my chances (say, if I had an emergency and needed a passport) I would have a place to stay.

I think it's smarter to just have a passport of course, but my trip to Bermuda via Cruise was very last minute and funds wise I can't afford a passport. I know I don't need one but I just wanted to make sure FOR SURE I didn't for my trip.

Lucky for me, I have a relative that lives in Bermuda so even though I'm taking my chances (say, if I had an emergency and needed a passport) I would have a place to stay.

Good to hear that you can go to Bermuda without a passport to visit your relative. My comment was out of frustration for the thousands of posts going in circles about this issue. IMO, the U.S. government needs to standardize it's policies -- guess they are too busy at the moment.:)

Good to hear that you can go to Bermuda without a passport to visit your relative. My comment was out of frustration for the thousands of posts going in circles about this issue. IMO, the U.S. government needs to standardize it's policies -- guess they are too busy at the moment.:)

The government did want to standardize the passport requirement. It was the cruise industry's lobbying that twisted Uncle Sam's arm to permit the closed loop cruise exception. The cruise industry feared a substantial loss of business, particularly on the short inexpensive cruises to the Bahamas and nearby Caribbean locations if a passport was required.

By the way, one of the principal reasons for all the posts made here on this topic is because all too many posters don't seem to be satisfied with giving simple factual answers to the passport requirement questions. For some reason they find to need to proselytize as if the person asking the question is somehow morally or intellectually deficient for wanting to travel without a passport. I'd prefer to just present the facts and assume the person asking the question is intelligent enough to make a decision on their own.

Edited by njhorseman