What have you ever forgotten?

Copper_beeches

The worst--I forgot all of my makeup. The bag was hanging behind my bathroom door, and was still there when I got home. Although I felt something was missing everytime I dressed (it was) I survived, and even got passed it. Traveling means taking lit as it comes!

We forgot our costumes for the New Year's Ball during a millennium cruise on Carnival. My darling husband left the garment bag hanging behind the bedroom door and when I casually mentioned on the flight "Gosh, I hope our costumes will arrive when we do," - I was met with a look of absolute horror. Suffice to say, my DH was exceptionally generous to me on that trip, since I really had put effort into our costumes - we were going as a 50's family including my poodle skirt (which I had just finished sewing a couple of days prior to sailing), saddle shoes, and my anniversary gift from him ... a pink satin jacket with "Teen Angel" in chenille embroidery on the back. Of course for my husband and son I had packed well worn leather jackets, cuffed blue jeans, new white t-shirts, white socks with black pointy shoes and lots of brylcream hair goo. Yep, there was everything just waiting for us when we got home. :( Sigh.

Smooth Sailing!:) :)

I know you'll simply never believe this. Got to our destination, began unpacking while DH was on the balcony, thought to myself, wow, we did really, really well packing. TOTALLY :eek: :eek: :eek: forgot hubby's clothes. He had hung them in one of our guest bedroom closets, and when I was packing, I forgot about them. And yes, it was the most GAWD awful feeling a person can ever experience. :eek:

We were traveling with another couple, and he wore the same size clothes as DH. So they shared tee shirts, and we purchased some dress shirts from the boutiques onboard. It was hard, but we managed. And to this day, I can't tell you how many cross check lists I have when it comes to packing!!! :eek:

Oh I will never forget. I was 13, in that weird body stage, kinda chubby and self-conscious at the time, I spent a month looking for the perfect swimsuit, when we arrived to San Juan I burst into tears because I realized i forgot my suit ( i told my mom i wanted to pack my carry-on). My Mom (the great Mom she is) said we could go look for one, it only took 10 minutes in the hotel gift shop to find me one I liked better ( a miracle!). But those few hours of no swimsuit were scary!!!

on our first cruise I decided to wait and buy a bathing suit in Tampa so I would have something different from the girls i was going with. We didnt know about CC or else we would have known how chaotic embarkation is in Tampa I asked hubby to grabbed the newly purchased bathing suit and put it in the carry on while i tipped the porter well needless to say i didnt have a bathing suit for that cruise till the first port which was only 2 days later.

My sister in law left her garment bag with both formals hanging at home last year on our cruise. Plenty of extra dresses were availible in our group.

I say travel in groups if you forget something your friend next door will have it:D

Well...a BIG thing! LOL...

We live in Jacksonville Fl and had to drive to Tampa FL to take our cruise (4 hr drive one way). The next day upon making sure we had everything (we went a couple days early) we realized we left our GARMENT bag with ALL our formal wear hung up in our closet at home!

OMG...hubby wanted to drive all the way home, get it, and drive all the way back to save money. Me, well we went on a shopping spree in Tampa LOL

Spent about 400 for new clothes and a garment bag too. It was an expensive mistake!

Our next cruise we are making sure EVERYTHING including the garment bag are packed in our car!!!

my DS who is 7 never travels without his stuffed curious george monkey. he has dragged this monkey around since he was 3 y.o. well, he was so excited to take him on a cruise, so i sat him in the living room recliner where we could all see him and couldn't forget him. well the limo (a surprise for kids) showed up and they all ran out the door to get in and guess who stayed on the recliner for a week! the next morning in tampa we were dressing to head to the port and i put on my t-shirt (which had a monkey on it) and my sons jaw suddenly dropped to the ground. we quickly told him that george would keep an eye on the pet guinea pig and make sure the pet sitter took good care of him, blah blah blah, and he managed to get over it quickly with all the excitement of getting on the ship. This time however, he says he is duct taping george to him the night before!!! I doubt we could forget him again!

I forgot my driver's license on one cruise. We always travel with our passports, so it wasn't an issue from an identity standpoint, but, when we got to Hawaii and stayed for 5 more days, we rented a car, and my husband had to do all the driving, and I got to do all the looking. Hmmmm...may have been a subconscious decision on my part to leave it behind!

My forgot item isn't big. I forgot to bring a permanent marker. The plan was to buy a t-shirt/sweatshirt in port and have everyone in our group sign it.

I went everywhere on that ship looking for a permanent marker when we got back from our last port (Ensenada). Purser's desk, waiter, gift shop, film shop, portrait studio, cabin steward.

My sweatshirt sits in the box waiting for signatures. I think I'll take it along this cruise and have people sign it.

I forgot my wallet. Seriously, I did. We were about to go through security and I reached for my wallet and it wasn't there. Mistakeingly I had slipped it into my jacket pocket at the coffee shop on our way to the airport. My jacket was back in the car which was at the park n' fly and we had no time to go back and get it. I cried and cried at the time, now I just look back at it and laugh. I had my passport and $1900 in cash and traveler's checks, oh well. Live and learn.

Tori - I like your idea of the permanent marker. What I do is scrapbook our door. And then I have a separate sheet that I decorate with a place for people to sign their names and where they are from. That goes in my scrapbook of the cruise, once home! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I always pack my own clothes and my husband packs his own, (and our kids all pack their own too).

The first night at dinner, my DH went to the cabin to change and when i got to the cabin he was sitting on the bed in his shorts. I asked why he wasn't dressed and he said that he couldn't go to the dining room for dinner because he forgot all of his pants! He had casual shirts and his suit-but no dress shirt or tie.

So he wore his suit pants every night to dinner and went back to the cabin and took them off as soon as dinner was finished. Worked fine (after he got over the fact that he'd have to wear the same pair of pants every night.) We tried to buy at least one pair of slacks and none were for sale on the ship.

Dress up night he borrowed a dress shirt and tie (too big) from a friend.

We survived. He now thinks he packs too much clothes since one pair of pants were enough!

• 4 weeks later...

Years ago there were 5 of us going on a cruise. We're standing in line for embarkation & I pull out the birth certificates for myself & 2 sons. As I look at them I realize I have my original, 1 son's original & the 3rd was a copy of my birth certificate. I didn't have my other son's birth certificate. We all got a look of horror on our faces.

I told my son that if it was 'discovered' that I wouldn't go on the cruise either & would stay behind with him.

Luckily they never really checked & we made it on the cruise & back without any hitches.

Needless to say, I now have a passport & my sons are old enough to also have passports.

I haven't lived that one down & probably never will!

Similar experience here. I am a very seasoned traveler, away on business several times a month. Put on the autopilot getting through airport security and the likes. So when it came to going to Club Med Mexico with my sister's, kids, spouses (16 in total), they look at me as the "leader" for handling the travel arrangements and negotiating the airport process. Well, we get to JFK airport in NY on a Friday morning from Long Island. Anyone who knows NY, knows the trip takes twice as long as it would anywhere else in the world. So 7 AM we're at the airport, checking everyones documents. They get to me and ask for photo ID. To my horror, I realize the night before, as I sorted out necessities from the purse I remembered saying "who needs this, no driving in Mexico" and promptly REMOVED MY LICENSE! :eek:

Well, knowing that I could not make it home and back within the hour in which we were leaving (had no car, used a car service - not to mention rush hour traffic), I had to call a friend-get him to go to my house, search for the license and drive to the airport.

Needless to say, I am indebted to my friend, and forever subjected to ridicule from my family:D .

Lets see where to begin :D

We stayed at the Sheraton in San Pedro the night of our wedding/the night before our cruise. When we went for dinner that night, I realized that I had left my wallet (read: photo ID) in the pants I wore to the chapel. We took a limousine to the hotel and did not have a car. So my father drove my wallet out to me. About 2 hours after that, we realized that we did not have the marriage license.... yep, another trip for my father... at 2:30 am....

Boy did he earn brownie points with my wife!!!

I can't imagine what we had on our minds that we would forget those items :D :D :D

It was our first cruise. We read all the suggestions, duct tape, travel clock, shoe bag, etc etc. We made lists and checked them twice. :cool: We were sure we had packed everything we would need. The first morning at sea we are getting ready to go to breakfast, I came out of the shower and my DH is sitting on the bed, shirt on , socks on and naked from the waist down. I do one of those double takes and ask what is going on? He looks up at me and asks "How did I feel about him going commando to breakfast!?" He had forgotten all his undershorts! I could not stop laughing because I am "the blonde" in the family. It wasn't easy but we did find some boxer shorts in one of the souvenir shops in Juneau. He spent the rest of the cruise with ALASKA and a BEAR across his backside! This has become one of our favorite Alaska cruise stories within the family. I am still chuckling just thinking about it.