need information on travel to Rome

andypeters

We are flying into Rome on May/18/ 2018 need best way to get to are hotel in Rome Italy. I was told to stay away from cab to Rome. They will rip you off. Please I need help. andypeters

No, you need to do some research, like on the Italy board here on Cruise Critic.

First, cabs are fixed rate from the airport to the main area of Rome. Last year I think the rate was 47 euros...it will probably go up a couple of euros this year.

Second, on the Italy board there are many recommended privates services, which which run you around 60 euros.

Third, there are public transit, like trains and buses, which will only cost you a few euros, depending onwhere your hotel is.

Lastly, "best" is a totally subjective petsonal opinion, for which you have not provided any definitions. Toigh to give you solid recommendations.

As CruiserBruce said I would come over to the Italy Ports of Call Board at: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=595

Please know that best means different things to different people.

For some it is the fastest way.

For some the lowest cost

For some it means convenience.

So be specific when you ask.

We use a private car vehicle and some do the same and we can give you recommendations if you would like but I would visit the Italy board for this.

Keith

• 1 month later...

We have the Hal pre-cruise package which includes the transfers. What I would like help on is, what is the procedure to find the transfer location in the Rome airport. How do you find the Hal representative, after exiting customs or where you pickup your luggage? What has been your experience?

Familiarise yourself with the look of the official Rome cabs

Research how much routes will cost using maps and taxi fare/travel sites

When you get in an proper cab ask. If its more than your info get out or discuss.

You can get ripped off anywhere with taxis but just do your research first. We have taken cabs all over Italy and been fine.

We have the Hal pre-cruise package which includes the transfers. What I would like help on is, what is the procedure to find the transfer location in the Rome airport. How do you find the Hal representative, after exiting customs or where you pickup your luggage? What has been your experience?

I haven't personally done a transfer from the cruise ship, but I have landed in the Rome airport a few times. I can tell you it wont be too difficult. Once you exit customs, you only have one way to walk that will lead you to the luggage area. Once you get your luggage you continue walking in the same direction towards the exit. you will see tons of people inside the airport holding signs. Look for Hal and ask them to point you to the right person. if you dont see any one from Hal, walk outside as sometimes there are more folks waiting outside if the inside is too crowded.

But the important thing to know is that you will see everyone bunched up together holding signs, just look for the one that is meant for you.

No way to miss them, they are literally between you and the door to exit the airport.

We are flying into Rome on May/18/ 2018 need best way to get to are hotel in Rome Italy. I was told to stay away from cab to Rome. They will rip you off. Please I need help. andypeters

Three options:

A) Taxi from airport - fixed fare about 50 euro - you should agree with driver before getting in.

B) Reserve a car service on line - Rome in Limo is reliable - I've used them several times - probably about 60 -70 euro now - most comfortable and quickest as the driver will be waiting for you holding sign with your name.

C) Cheapest/fastes is Leonardo Express - from train station right at airport to Termini Station in central Rome. OK if your hotel is nearby so you can walk - otherwise a hassle getting a cab at station. We have stayed at Hotel Nord Nuova - near station , clean, good included breakfast, near Metro for getting around city .

I guess I am guilty to having spent too much time in Italy, because we just do not understand some of the negative comments about getting between FCO and places in Rome. So lets first talk about the taxis. All the taxis in the queue at FCO are licensed and bound by government approved policies and rates. Sure, there are a few crooked taxis...but in Italy we have generally found most taxis to be quite honest. The government imposed fixed fare from FCO to Central Rome (which would cover a majority of hotels) is 48€. In Italy many do not tip taxi drivers...but if they are very helpful it is appropriate to give them a small tip (no more than 5%). By the way, if you have any question about a taxi fare....you should resolve it before you even get in the taxi...so there are no misunderstanding. This is a basic rule for dealing with taxis all over the world.

Another popular option is to book a private transfer..where a driver will wait outside customs with a sign having your name. Our preference is Romecabs.com....but there are many other reputable companies. Romecabs currently charges about 50€ (price for 2) and it is customary to give a small tip to good drivers (we generally tip about 10% for a good private transfer. There are also some less costly shared van transfer companies...but we are not fans because this can involve substantial delays at both FCO and getting to your hotel (assuming they must make multiple stops to drop others).

There are also public transit options including the non-stop Leonardo Express train, less costly (but slower) regional trains, buses, etc.

As to cruise line transfers to hotels....in most cases they will charge you more then a taxi or even a private transfer. Bottom line is that if a cruise line is asking more than 25€ (about $30) then you are better off just using a taxi or private transfer. Cruise line transfers will often involve a substantial wait at FCO while they get their group together (or wait for later arriving flights) to fill their vehicles.

Hank

Check out BOB'S Limo Rome. We have used them several times and they are great. 40.00 for 2 airport to hotel, $80.00 for two Rome hotel to cruise port. New vans and great driver. happy cruising

We've used Bob's Limo's too--note, not just limos, but cars, vans, etc. as needed. Great service and decent price. They had a 'senior' rate the last time we booked.

Pre-book transfer. Two good options that we have used have been mentioned in the previous post. We love getting off our flight, gathering our bags and knowing that someone is waiting to take us to our hotel. I wouldn't however have a problem with using a taxi.

Bob's Limo service was great getting us to our hotel in the city from FCO, and from out hotel, the Visconti Palace, four days later to Civitavecchia and our ship, the NCL Jade. During our stay in Rome, our feet took us to all the sights we planned to visit.

Edited by cmdchiefthom
font

We have taken the train once and have taken cars several times. Train is not fun if you have a lot of luggage. We never felt the need to pre-book anything. You will see plenty of options at the airport. Just walk up to the guys and say "can you take me to ...?" They will give you a price and away you go!