Snorkeling in Costa Maya

pjewell910

• 2 weeks later...

I think one reason for the lack of responses is that snorkeling doesn’t seem to be as popular at Costa Maya as at other Western Caribbean ports. Most cruisers seem to focus on the Mayan ruins or beach clubs. I know they do offer snorkeling excursions and the better reports seem to come from those that went on a boat tour rather than snorkeling from the beach. The reef is fairly far from shore in most areas and there can be issues with sea grass / sea weed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think one reason for the lack of responses is that snorkeling doesn’t seem to be as popular at Costa Maya as at other Western Caribbean ports. Most cruisers seem to focus on the Mayan ruins or beach clubs. I know they do offer snorkeling excursions and the better reports seem to come from those that went on a boat tour rather than snorkeling from the beach. The reef is fairly far from shore in most areas and there can be issues with sea grass / sea weed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. I've been to the Mayan ruins years ago so not into that. I'm sure we will either find a ship sponsored snorkel or I'll keep checking out other sites for reviews. Thanks again for the heads up.

Snorkeling along the malecon beaches in Mahahual is pretty lame. A few fish up nearer the lighthouse but shore is sandy, not iron.

Nearest iron shore is up at Uvero Beach, north of the cruise port about 30-40 minutes by road. That's where the ship snorkeling excursions go. Only way to get there and be allowed on the beach. It's decent, but as others have said not like snorkeling in Belize or Roatan.

If you can arrange an offshore trip via a private vendor, about an hour out is fantastic snorkeling along the northern end of the same barrier reef that protects Belize.