ACWMom "Official" Trip Review-Uniworld SS Joie de Vivre-Paris to Normandy

acwmom

So glad Mont St-Michel didn't disappoint (other than the food, which is so atypical). It is truly an amazing place. We visited by car from St-Malo a few years back, and had the opportunity to watch the tide start rushing in while we were on top of the Mont. Incredible! We were sure to keep an eye on our car, to make sure it didn't float away...

You could see your car? We took a shuttle bus across the causeway. It was quite a distance to any cars/buses.

Robin

You could see your car? We took a shuttle bus across the causeway. It was quite a distance to any cars/buses.

Robin

Sure. There was lots of parking on the causeway. Walked from the lot to the city walls and then right in.

They do adjust where you can park on any given day based on the height of high tide, and cordon off those areas which will be underwater. Maybe the tidal range was higher the day you visited and those lots would have been flooded?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Following your thread. We are going on Tauck Bridges Family Fun along the Seine: Paris to Normandy in June & I'm finding your trip so educating since we will do some of the same exact things. We are also doing a 2 night stay at Mont Saint Michel prior to our river cruise with our 9 year old son who I think will LOVE it there! Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us!

Robin, let me get this straight. They take you to Le Mont Sainte-Michel and they don’t take you to La Mere Poulard for the best omelettes in the world!? or at least have the good sense to charge less for the tour and let you take lunch on your own like they do in so many other excursions? I know the omelet guy on the ship is great, but I’m just sayin’....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

By the way, we just returned on Sunday 2 days ago from this trip and I will start a new discussion to see if anyone has any questions and to tell the differences from your week. Steve

Welcome home. This is taking way longer than I had hoped. Looking forward to the differences!

We did go to La Mere Poulard, but we didn't enjoy the half-cooked souffle omelette. I much preferred the ship's omelettes!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

More pictures now, as we made it to the top of the Mont.....the first picture is of the causeway, and I do think we were there during a high tide period. The 3rd picture has a rainbow:-). The timber ceiling was something I hadn't seen before20180320_143741.thumb.jpg.f3e76437df2afe205d60aa67d5d30153.jpg

20180320_141646.thumb.jpg.46d3e7fc10267a420fc588df110d201b.jpg

20180320_141651.thumb.jpg.cb6d246679d9b3ae1573528a12401c4d.jpg

20180320_141846.thumb.jpg.5138c01bb8786c7bdbdd878c86c793f2.jpg

20180320_142112.thumb.jpg.2e2b93c2692fd356ac5e8e7022be9284.jpg

20180320_143437.thumb.jpg.81455a61deb09495b8984e8f2098381d.jpg

Following your thread. We are going on Tauck Bridges Family Fun along the Seine: Paris to Normandy in June & I'm finding your trip so educating since we will do some of the same exact things. We are also doing a 2 night stay at Mont Saint Michel prior to our river cruise with our 9 year old son who I think will LOVE it there! Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us!

I think he will love it! I'm convinced Diagon Alley was modeled after Main Street Mont St Michel:-) And having the island all night.....Enjoy!!!!

Wow, an overnight in Mont St-Michel. Sounds great! I bet it's even quieter than Viviers.

Robin, don't despair. These reviews take forever. I finally finished my last Silversea cruise blog in March...the trip ended in November.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Pictures of the refectory, where the monks dined.

40653603295_f02f5d08ce_z.jpg

39737963000_bc525315b1_z.jpg

And, where guests dined

41546656131_a64123bcc4_z.jpg

The Chapel of St. Martin, in the Monastery

41546666121_1acf240502_z.jpg

And, the "punishment wheel", where up to eight prisoners were forced to walk on the wheel

40835180054_9189915b5b_z.jpg

40835187704_5e510db586_z.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to do the review I will be taking this cruise in Aug and so much enjoying your review.
Thank you for following along. Next up, the tasting dinner, which I'm sure will be muxhore enjoyable in warm weather!

Robin

A few parting shots from Mont St. Michel, before our long bus ride back to Rouen. Our bus guide told us the water only gets as warm as the low 70's in the summer. I didn't even ask what the water temperature was when we were there.

27676535628_bcc3be0bc0_b.jpg

39738038030_5f65a7e4b2_b.jpg

We had chosen to do the tasting dinner on this night. We were supposed to be back in Rouen at 6pm, and the dinner started at 6:30. We got back at 6:45.....I was communicating with our traveling companions along the way, so they knew we wouldn't be back in time. Unfortunately, they weren't allowed to sit at the table for four, and wait for us (they seated people as they arrived, there were only 10 people, total). Our butler met us on arrival, and helped me unload my cameras/coat/etc, so I could head to dinner. I was concerned about my attire, and he told me not to worry, it wasn't a formal affair.

Our previous "tasting dinner" on this route had been a seven course, plated meal. This one was cooked fresh, but served "family style." The venue was Claude's, at the ship's aft. The pool had been covered by floor, and we took up the area adjacent to the bar.

Menu and pics to follow

This wasn't an extra expense.

Robin

There is no cost for the Tasting Dinner. But you do need to make reservations which you should do as soon as you know which night you want to do it. And for how many people. Add a few extra in case you meet others who want to join you. Just let them know ahead of time if you or others are not going to show up out of courtesy.

Thank you Robin and SOShrink! From my reading of options on the Grand France cruise, I understood there was a "Chef's Table" dinner, so I assume this is something different. Robin--how did everything taste?
There is a extra charge dinner in La Cave du Vin, on the first floor. I didn't speak to anyone on our sailing who did it, not do I recall the charge.

The food at the tasting dinner was on par with the food in the dining room. I don't like salmon, but tried a small piece, and actually enjoyed it. I loved the charcuterie, French onion soup, and lamb stew. All were perfect after a long day on Mont St. Michel.

The other two nights it was offered were Thursday, which was the day of the Landing Beaches visit (I would choose this day, as the main dining room is buffet that night) and Saturday, which is the night the ship is docked in Paris.

They take a Max of 20/night. We had 10.

Robin

At some point, we set sail for Caudebac en Caux. I'm not sure how long it took to sail there, but it's a quick 40 minute drive:-) After 2 days in cold, then blustery weather, my husband wasn't sure if he was going to be up for golf on Wednesday. Pierre, our CD, told us to call him at 6:30am, and he would call the course for a weather update. He also arranged for the kitchen to prepare sandwiches for us, as they listed the day of the Landing Beaches as the only day lunch would be on our own.

The weather forecast at 6:30am was partly to mostly sunny, with only light winds. We went....and Pierre met us with a bag of sandwiches! At 8:30, seven of us departed Caudebac for a 40 minute drive to Etretat. We arrived to partly cloudy skies, and a little bit of chill still in the air. While the round of golf, clubs, and balls were included, the cart (either ride or pull along) wasn't. I guess we could have carried the clubs, but we decided on a regular cart. It was 37 euros/cart.

I didn't play, but was the official "photographer" My husband had one of his best rounds, ever......

For anyone who wants to see the course layout......the fairways were pretty much wide open. The greens had been recently aerated, and a couple of holes, the flag wasn't even on the green, which was just weird.

But first, scenery!

41655238791_e82028ed40_b.jpg

27787228118_8211d75ba4_b.jpg

A view of the town, and beach

27787184638_d2deca9ef2_z.jpg

Low tide

41655251341_199e9249ec_b.jpg

Some of the walking trails adjacent to the cliffs and 10th fairway

41655264131_61ab6786fc_b.jpg

The 10th tee was being redone, so we had to move to a different set of tees to play the hole

41655278541_5cec55b49f_b.jpg