What have been your favourite excursions?

Gilly

Sitting here on Navigator, somewhere in the Indian Ocean (somewhere between Reunion and Richards Bay) it seems an awfully long time since we chose the excursions for this cruise. As each one comes to fruition, we've alternated between wondering why we chose a particular excursion over another, occasionally wishing we'd made a different choice and most frequently, feeling so very thankful that, for some reason, we plumped for what has turned out to be a great experience. We try to research destinations, we use our own experience to steer us towards activities and places we think we will enjoy, but just once in a while, we get it totally wrong - sometimes, in a good way.

Take yesterday, for example. As we were getting our things together to go down to the theatre, we were musing on the "handicraft market" in the title of our chosen tour (Piton Maido & Handicraft Market). I guess that it was I who influenced that choice and sitting with a bunch of friends, it was the men who were muttering most about the "shopping opportunities" and wondering why they'd agreed to spend their time in a potentially interesting port doing something that didn't particularly interest them. At this stage, we had overlooked the Piton Maido bit - but just an hour into the long drive up to the caldera, we were thinking the tour description way undersold this spectacular excursion. The views that greeted us at the summit were spectacular and I took so many photographs I had trouble selecting a few for my blog last night. Yes, the half hour we had at the market (not just crafts, actually, but a colourful general outdoor market) was interesting, but really, the star attraction of the day was in those first two words of the title.

We had an extra hour last night, then, and as I lay thinking about our day, I wondered what other excursions were sufficiently spectacular to recommend? What shouldn't we miss? Which ones sound ho hum but turn out to be anything but? I might add that there was no additional charge for this tour, either, which made it still more of a "must do"!

So, I'll open the bidding with "Pito Maido and Handicraft Market" in Reunion. Over to you, please, to share with me some recommendations for your favourites.

Hi Gilly,

Hope you are enjoying your cruise in a beautiful part of the world.

Our favourite Regent paid excursion was “Petra & Wadi Rum” in Jordan. Combining the two locations made for a long day but so worth it to see all the magical sights.

The race across the desert in the back of Toyota pick-ups was exciting to say the least and watching the sun set over the “Bedouin” camp ended the day perfectly.

Out of many, one of our favourite Regent included excursions was a boat ride around Walvis Bay, Namibia. The wildlife (seals, birds etc) was magnificent and the Namibian oysters served with a beer on the boat were delicious.

Today, on Explorer, we are in Funchal Madeira. This morning we took a Regent excursion around the island ending with traditional “afternoon tea” at Reid’s Palace hotel. Very civilised.

A beautiful sunny spring day as well which made the tour even more enjoyable.

Sitting here on Navigator, somewhere in the Indian Ocean (somewhere between Reunion and Richards Bay) it seems an awfully long time since we chose the excursions for this cruise. As each one comes to fruition, we've alternated between wondering why we chose a particular excursion over another, occasionally wishing we'd made a different choice and most frequently, feeling so very thankful that, for some reason, we plumped for what has turned out to be a great experience. We try to research destinations, we use our own experience to steer us towards activities and places we think we will enjoy, but just once in a while, we get it totally wrong - sometimes, in a good way.

Take yesterday, for example. As we were getting our things together to go down to the theatre, we were musing on the "handicraft market" in the title of our chosen tour (Piton Maido & Handicraft Market). I guess that it was I who influenced that choice and sitting with a bunch of friends, it was the men who were muttering most about the "shopping opportunities" and wondering why they'd agreed to spend their time in a potentially interesting port doing something that didn't particularly interest them. At this stage, we had overlooked the Piton Maido bit - but just an hour into the long drive up to the caldera, we were thinking the tour description way undersold this spectacular excursion. The views that greeted us at the summit were spectacular and I took so many photographs I had trouble selecting a few for my blog last night. Yes, the half hour we had at the market (not just crafts, actually, but a colourful general outdoor market) was interesting, but really, the star attraction of the day was in those first two words of the title.

We had an extra hour last night, then, and as I lay thinking about our day, I wondered what other excursions were sufficiently spectacular to recommend? What shouldn't we miss? Which ones sound ho hum but turn out to be anything but? I might add that there was no additional charge for this tour, either, which made it still more of a "must do"!

So, I'll open the bidding with "Pito Maido and Handicraft Market" in Reunion. Over to you, please, to share with me some recommendations for your favourites.

Thirteen cruises and lots of enjoyable excursions (and some unexpected flops)! BUT, our "most" favorite was the "Noviciation Ceremony" in Yangon Burma. On our last day in that port, we did the Noviciation excursion as we were tired from the long previous two days; the venue was close and we were departing Yangon early because of the tricky tides.

The morning was bright and pleasant (mid-November) and a cheerful bus guide who explained the initiation ceremony of passage for the 5 young boys to becoming Buddhist monks. As we arrived at the venue, we were informed that we (Regent) were the sponsors of the event - that otherwise the families couldn't afford! We were each given a beautiful commemorative fan. We were dropped off between the boys town and the monastery - right in front of a nunnery full of giggly, pink-robed young girls - the marvelous photo ops began! Soon, a parade of lots of towns -people with women carrying fruit gifts for the reception after the ceremony, the moms carrying the robes the boys would be in vested in; the dads leading small horses with boys astride (looking scared to death or smiling broadly; followed by "elephant" dancers; then a cart with a "boom box" providing up-beat music; and then a throng of villagers - we joined the villagers in the parade to the nearby monastery.

Just outside the monastery/school, the boys' heads were shaved (with the family collecting the hair on sheets) and enrobing the boys. All this amid hundreds of on-lookers, music, dancing and about a hundred Regent camera buffs. Into a beautiful monastery hall where we sat on oriental rugs and watched the senior monks trade chants with the boys for about a half hour (oh yes, lots of photos by us).

After the investiture, a reception of fruit, much more music and dancing, each family stood separately with their boy with most beaming but some teary eyed - the boys stay at the monastery for about a week and it was probably the first time away from home.

Sorry to be long-winded but it really was heart tugging and the fan/photos on my travel wall remind me every day of this excursion.

P.S> the Regent extra-cost excursion to Compestella (spell?) Spain is a close second as our favorite.

I agree with you Flossie, one of my favorites was Petra and Wadi Rum.

The post cruise safari to Kapama Private Reserve still remains my most memorable experience. Another was the boat trip around Halong Bay in Vietnam. The place is magical.

I am especially excited to read that, 1982CruzStart...guess where we are headed next week? (Not Halong Bay, though having been there independently, I agree it's a magical place). We are going to Kapama South post-cruise!

We tend to do fewer and fewer excursions as we get older and older; and do cruise itineraries which often overlap with what we did previously. There are certainly plenty of choices. Have had consistent positive experiences. The Funchal Madeira with afternoon tea at Reid's (mentioned earlier) was certainly one we enjoyed last year when on Explorer.

That said--

Favorite, and also from that March-April cruise from Miami-via Barcelona-to Venice, was the Etruscan Tombs Necropolis complex at Cerveteri, Italy. Or, as I described it later to Cruise Director John (from the UK), "Tombs with a View". Perfect day, wonderful Tour Guide and friendly driver. A lecturer at the on-site Museum gave an historical overview of these tombs, dug into the side of a hill overlooking a magnificent valley (hence, the "view") which date from 750BC. Colorful frescoes adorned the interiors.

Suggest doing a Google for more details.

To top it off--we were told we would have a "light snack" at a nearby farm house on the way back to the ship. That was an understatement. Our group of about 20 had a full lunch, complete with several selections of white or red wine. All food, which included meat, poultry, fruit, and veggies--was raised/grown on that farm.

No afternoon tea needed that day.

GOARMY!

Great question. Without a doubt, Petra and Wadi Rum. Second place is harder. Ephesus with an Archeologist was terrific ("with an archeologist" part made it an extra charge but well worth it.) In St Petersburg, there was a special evening tour to Catherine the Great's palace that included a private tour including the Amber Room with no tourists, and extras like a string quartet performance, dinner at a Russian restaurant afterward. A caviar buffet awaited us back at the ship. One of our best evenings ever.

I am especially excited to read that, 1982CruzStart...guess where we are headed next week? (Not Halong Bay, though having been there independently, I agree it's a magical place). We are going to Kapama South post-cruise!

I hope your experience there is as great as ours was. We saw elephants playing in a large watering hole and on another occasion a family group walking across the road close in front of us, lions mating, hippo out at night, hyenas just after our ranger asked us if there was still an animal someone wanted to see and it was hyenas, too many animals to list and even the elusive leopard. The whole thing was unreal in the most real way. We were in the lodge but i imagine the south accomodation is just as great or even better. The food was wonderful and we were well taken care of.

We took advantage of some spare time to book a couple of additional cost experiences they offer. One was a trip to the endangered species centre and one to an interaction with the elephants that they use for their elephant game drive. Upon the recommendation of our ranger we didn't do the elephant game drive, not because it isn't a great experience but because we had so little time there he said we might regret missing out on the regular game drive as you see so much more on them than on the elephant game drive. A couple of people from our truck did go and enjoyed it but i was so glad we didn't go as we had a great drive that they missed.

The endangered species centre is fascinating, educational and well worth the time and money. The experiences were offered after breakfast and before lunch so you don't miss out on anything other than lounging around.

Have a great time.

Thank you for sharing great experiences and wonderful memories. Flossie, we are booked to repeat our very first Regent cruise itinerary in 2020 (!) and I'm especially happy to tuck that recommendation up my sleeve together with a few others from here and there.

1982CruzStart, I am so happy to read of your time in Kapama. We had heard it was a good choice (made on the recommendation of NewLondon (Bill) here) but having that confirmed makes the thought of getting off this lovely ship in a few days time all the more bearable!

Great question. Without a doubt, Petra and Wadi Rum. Second place is harder. Ephesus with an Archeologist was terrific ("with an archeologist" part made it an extra charge but well worth it.) In St Petersburg, there was a special evening tour to Catherine the Great's palace that included a private tour including the Amber Room with no tourists, and extras like a string quartet performance, dinner at a Russian restaurant afterward. A caviar buffet awaited us back at the ship. One of our best evenings ever.

"An Imperial Evening with the Tsars" - probably one of my wife's favorites! We've done it twice, actually, and enjoyed both times very much. I agree with every thing you liked about it!

Other favorites were the day trip to Moscow by high-speed train - long day and the weather was terrible, but we loved Moscow.

Taormina - Lunch in a Private Villa - in the villa where they filmed the Sicilian scenes in the Godfather movies, Franco and Giovanna were incredible, the lunch in the wine cellars was spectacular, and...well, we've done that one twice, too. We took family the second time and the loved it, too.

Rome - Private tour of the Vatican. Gets you places most people never get to see. It's awe-inspiring.

Alaska - Helicopter Glacier tour - touch down and hike on two glaciers, and the flight it is spectacular. Just incredibly gorgeous. Breathtaking. Majestic. Where's my thesaurus?? :D

Livorno - The Cooking Class at a local osteria. Really enjoyed this one.

Riga - The Cooking Class and shopping at the local market. Noticing a trend here?

Honestly, I can say that pretty much all of my excursions on Regent have been enjoyable. I can count on one hand the number of less than enjoyable excursions I've been on - the number of amazing experiences far exceeds the number of bad ones.

Gill, thanks for starting this entertaining and informative thread.

Tho, we loved Petra, Taormina, Milford Sound, Chilean Fjordsand Halong Bay, nothing compares in our view to visual stunning features of Iceland.

Our fav (tho not on regent): Akureyri and Heimaey:

Godafoss Waterfalls

Waterfalls of the Gods in English, these impressive falls carry a huge volume of water. Their name marks the historical event that took place at these falls in the year 1,000 when the Chieftain, Thorgeir, made a public declaration in favour of Christianity, by throwing his carvings of the pagan gods into the falls. Thorgeir was also President of the Althing (or Parliament), at that time and it was he who was charged with the difficult task of deciding the nation's fate in regard to its choice of religion. A stop is made at Fossholl, on the eastern bank of the river Skjalfandafljot, a short distance from Godafoss for an approximate 30-minute pause.

From Godafoss return to Akureyri, an extremely friendly town, colourfully framed by the sea and the mountains. Drive through the oldest part of the town and see the Danish influence from the time Iceland was under the Danish Crown and Akureyri was the most Danish of all Danish towns. Become acquainted with the newer parts of Akureyri and stop at the Botanical Gardens. See examples of every species indigenous to Iceland and an extensive collection of high-latitude and high-altitude plants from around the world. Re-board the coach for the return drive to the ship.

Heimaey and Volcanoes

Depart the pier for a guided walking tour of Heimaey. Your tour begins with a look at the 5,000-year-old Helgafell Volcano, whose eruption on January 23, 1973 created a new volcano, Eldfell. See the grassy hills of Eldfell and the fences put in place there to hold down the ashes. This area was the same height as the houses to the left of it, and considered to be the best farmland on the island. The top of Eldfell is still warm to this day.

Pompeii of the North, Eldheimar Museum

Next, your walk continues on to Pompeii of the North. This area was unearthed in 2004 when islanders began digging out the houses buried in the volcano. The fissure created by the volcano was only 650 feet (200 metres) from Kirkjubær, the easternmost farm on the island. More than 400 houses were destroyed during the eruption, and new houses have since been built on the west coast of the island.

You will get the chance to visit the Eldheimar museum, which focuses on the 1973 volcanic eruption in Vestmannaeyjar, Icelands largest natural disaster - where inhabitants of the island had to evacuate their home in the middle of the night.

Harbour Entrance and Skansinn Church

Before the eruption, the harbor was unprotected from the eastern winds and the entrance was 2,624 feet (800 meters) in width. Today, it is only 525 feet (160 meters) wide, and one of the safest harbors in Iceland. A stop is also made at the Skansinn Church, a former fort built in 1586 and then rebuilt in 1630. Lava destroyed most of the fort; however, ruins of a seawater tank and electricity bollards remain. Your walking tour concludes at the pier.

We have been at Kapama Southern Camp for just a few hours and I can see exactly why you all made mention of it. Truly magical - I can't tell you how thrilled we are! Just four of us here post-cruise and we feel utterly blessed.

We have been at Kapama Southern Camp for just a few hours and I can see exactly why you all made mention of it. Truly magical - I can't tell you how thrilled we are! Just four of us here post-cruise and we feel utterly blessed.

I am so glad you are enjoying it. You will have an unforgetable experience there. Please let us know how it goes when you have time.

Falconing in Scotland and Truffle hunting with dogs in Tuscany......alas not with Regent.

Americas Cup race in St. Martin.....this is a common one, but was so much fun, especially if you enjoy sailing, but never get a chance on a 12 meter.

1982Cruzstart, I've blogged every drive so far....the alarm just went off to wake us for the last one. it has been incredible!

I went in search of your blog and enjoyed it immensely. I am so glad you had a great time. Sorry you missed out on the rhino. We were lucky and saw one with a baby when we were there.

Regent excursions

Iguazu Falls - Breathtaking

Hiroshima - Emotional

Xian - Terracotta warriors

Halong Bay

Pompeii

Ephesus

There are soooo many Non Regent experiences. Here are a couple

Running with the Bulls in Pamplona - twice

Deserted island near PHI PHI Thailand

Night in the Desert near Dubai

Taj Mahal

Great Wall of China - Asked my wife for her hand in marriage here.

French Polynesia and Bora Bora - Amazing natural beauty

We have been blessed to be able to enjoy these and other great experiences. Its been a passion of ours to see and participate in the wonderful cultures of our world.

Edited by commodore2010

Falconing in Scotland and Truffle hunting with dogs in Tuscany......alas not with Regent.

Americas Cup race in St. Martin.....this is a common one, but was so much fun, especially if you enjoy sailing, but never get a chance on a 12 meter.

Agreed - loved this one but took it on a Cunard cruise so it didn't register in my brain earlier.