Newbie questions

LAX

I have searched, but couldn't find anything relevant on some topics. Are there cabins (beside the high-priced full suites) that sleep 5? When's the best time to book (ie: on opening day, wait for promo, etc.)? How does Princess compare to Disney? TIA.

LAX

I have searched, but couldn't find anything relevant on some topics. Are there cabins (beside the high-priced full suites) that sleep 5? When's the best time to book (ie: on opening day, wait for promo, etc.)? How does Princess compare to Disney? TIA.

LAX

I don't know of any cabins on Princess ships that sleep 5. The only option is to book two cabins near each other.

LAX

Family Suite

Also, go to Princess.com, onboard our ships and select deck plans. Select the ship you want and then select connecting cabins. Connecting cabins have an interior connecting door, so two cabins side by side can be used to handle 5.

Princess is a different cruise experience than Disney.

You can book anytime. As long as your booking has a refundable deposit you can change if a better promo appears.

SOME Princess ships have connecting cabins. Other than that, only the family suite will sleep 5.

I wrote a long comparison of Disney/Princess which has dropped well back in the boards. You might search for it. There is nothing wrong with either product, and Princess is certainly more cost effective. The kid programming on Princess is very good, but not the long hours of Disney. On our most recent cruise (disembarkation April 11, 2018), we felt the service was better than DCL! We were also surprised at how current the movies were. DCL wins on live stage entertainment.

The standard cabins on Princess are much smaller than on DCL. You have to get a mini-suite to get to about the same size as a normal DCL cabin. But you can handle that with the connecting cabins or family suite. DO price the family suite--the price is never listed on line, so I don't have a clue.

That's actually a question that has 2 answers.

Best time to book?

Opening day prices are usually lower. Prices almost always go up after that.

Wait for promo?

Yes. After you book on opening day;p , watch for a price drop or new promo and call Princess (or your TA) to get it.

A question that you didn't ask...When should I get a TA involved?

I usually wait until a month or so before final payment to give my business to a TA. That way I have full control of my booking and can call Princess direct for price drops or new promos. Once the TA is involved, you can't call Princess, you have to call your TA.

A thought on connecting cabins...

Apparently, the connecting door lets a lot more sound across than does a solid wall ( D'oh! ;^)

Consider adjoining balconied cabins and having the balcony partition opened.

• 1 month later...

We cruise on Princess and HAL mostly but just got back from a Disney ship. I'm writing a review in multiple parts and should finish it later this week.

You can take a look here:

http://cruisingrobsblog.blogspot.com/2018/05/disney-wonder-coastal-post-trip-reivew.html

All in all a good experience, but I had very high expectations for Disney and it wasn't really any better than what I experience on Princess. The biggest thing for me is I found the service on DCL to be almost the same as Princess - maybe just a smidge better.

All in all a good experience, but I had very high expectations for Disney and it wasn't really any better than what I experience on Princess. The biggest thing for me is I found the service on DCL to be almost the same as Princess - maybe just a smidge better.

Many aspects of DCL have been on a downhill slide. I've read some reports recently that indicated that things might be improving, but so far have not experienced that. On the other hand, the service on our recent Princess cruise was as good as any we've had on any cruise line.

Princess has a few pirates, dolphins, bears and other characters that show up from time to time. The Bear(Stanley, I believe) is branded, but the others are of the generic variety.

I would say service/staff is at par with Disney. Options for onboard activities are less on Princess. Price is generally substantially less on Princess. YMMV.

Booking the best deals on Princess and all cruise lines takes tracking. But... on Princess (generally) you can “re-fare” prior to final payment date. Again YMMV and terms and conditions apply.

Apparently, the connecting door lets a lot more sound across than does a solid wall ( D'oh! ;^)

I disagree. I heard nothing from connecting doors.

Not really an issue if you're traveling with the connecting cabin folks!

Call Princess and point blank ask them, "Do you have cabins that sleep 5", easy peasy.

Except for a family suite, which is really two connected cabins on some of the ships, the answer is "no" except for a couple of cabins on the new Sky Princess.

• 2 weeks later...
If your going on princess you can usually book 2 cabins across the hall to sleep 5 through your travel agent.

You can do that through their website as well. ...or start a mock booking up to the

point where they show you what staterooms are available, and then tell the TA to go

get your specific choices.

Other websites (HAL, for example) only tell you some of the available staterooms.