Captains Circle Savings?

Tel1234

Booked a cruise under the Captains Circle Launch Savings, 8/9 months in advance. Thought there would be some sort of discount involved booking in advance. We do have a mini-suite, not even Club. Received the final notice only to find that the current advertised price was £600 per person (£1200) less. Phoned before paying the balance to query and to cut a long story short ended up paying the reduced price. So in future I would certainly not be in any rush to book early despite any 'savings', seems like hard work when you have to monitor prices.

I can only speak about what I have noticed in my bookings made in the USA. I almost always book my cruises as soon as they are put on the schedule and book under the Launch Fare. It has been my observation that the Captains' Circle savings means that the fare when I book is $50 p/p less than the fare shown on the Princess.com web site. I have verified this by looking at a specific cruise on that website and then logging into my cruise personalizer and doing a "Find Cruise" for the same cruise. After 30 plus cruises, I have most often found that the price goes up over time. Only 2 or 3 times have I found a lower fare worth the trouble to get my booking re-fared. Still, I will continually check for fare reductions and/or booking incentives such as beverage packages or paid gratuities. I recently re-fared a cruise that saved me $2800 but lost the Premium Beverage Package.

Booked a cruise under the Captains Circle Launch Savings, 8/9 months in advance. Thought there would be some sort of discount involved booking in advance. We do have a mini-suite, not even Club. Received the final notice only to find that the current advertised price was £600 per person (£1200) less. Phoned before paying the balance to query and to cut a long story short ended up paying the reduced price. So in future I would certainly not be in any rush to book early despite any 'savings', seems like hard work when you have to monitor prices.

By booking early, you will lock in a maximum price. If the price goes up, you are good. If the price goes down you can usually get the new lower price

I book refundable deposits as soon as possible. This way I know I can get the cabin I want. If the price goes down, I re-fare the trip. If a "new booking only" promotion comes along I can cancel and re-book usually (always in my case) keeping your cabin. Re-booking does run the risk of loosing your spot in line for your dining option but again this has never happened to me.

If the price goes down it is a win. If it goes up it is a win. Booking refundable deposits early does not have any down sides that I can think of. Waiting only looses spots in MDR seating. If traveling in a group as I always do eating together is important to us.

Thanks for the replies, I think I would have let it go except it is such a huge difference so guess I will either have to take a chance or keep monitoring the prices. I misunderstood the idea behind the Captains Circle deal.

We always book 12 months in advance, but use a TA. As the prices decline 4th TA keeps me updated and takes advantage of the declining price when they are beneficial. Sometimes the cruise line drops the price but in order to take advantage of the price drop you may have to give up some of the benefits you currently have, such as OBC. The lat price drop on the Caribbean Princess require me to give up $700 OBC. THAT was not a good deal for us.