seeking info on company called Yucatan Cenote

cwuer

Hi there. I have tried doing a search for this info but came up with nothing. This is a new company (approx. 1 year old) that does tours from this port. Below is the website. They have good reviews on TA, but only 5 of them. Their tours look good and they are reasonably priced. I am just a little apprehensive to book with them due to their lack of reviews. Has anyone here ever heard of this company and have any info you could share. Thank you

Here is link to the company

http://www.yucatancenote.com

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I used this company back in October for Myan Ruins and Cenote tour. They were absolutely fantastic. I was skeptical due to lack of reviews, but there was no need. Husband and wife team that pay attention to every little detail. I took lots of pictures and I highly recommend.You can email if you want to see pics, cindy.word@comcast.net.

• 1 year later...

They now have 231 Five Star Reviews on TripAdvisor! I have gone out with this company three times already and was never disappointed. Amazing and authentic off the beaten path private Adventures. Go for it!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey I just registered so I could leave a review of these guys. We just got back from a Carnival cruise that went to Cozumel and Progreso. I'm not a traveler. This was my second time out of the US and this was my first cruise. I was super concerned about safety and getting back on the ship without getting stranded. So I went into this with a little hesitation. This company did a great job making someone like me feel comfortable and enjoy their time in Progreso.

I know this was a question about this company and not a specific excursion so I apologize if this is long winded. If you just want to know if these guys are legit, the answer is YES. If you want to know more about our specific excursion so you can have a similar experience, read on.

We did the Above and Below excursion (https://www.yucatancenote.com/above-and-below.html) which is their signature excursion and had an excellent experience. I'm leaving reviews for them because we loved the experience and based on discussions with other cruisers on our ship I think we had the best excursion possible in Progreso. If you want an authentic off-the-grid type experience I recommend this.

I don't know much about this company as we were invited along by two people we met on the ship so I did zero research on this beforehand. I think the owners are two American ex-pats running the company. We met them very briefly as they explained what we'd be doing and introduced our driver + tour guide. Since we were a late add-on to the trip we paid cash. I got pesos out of an ATM by one of the drop-off points (it was from a bank, totally legit). We paid $206 USD (around 3,700 MXN) for 2 people. Water / pop is included in a cooler at no extra charge. You can leave your backpack / items in the van when you go walk around and they will be safe.

Our driver Tony and tour guide Juan Carlos were the best. Both had great personalities and Juan Carlos was funny and helped lighten the mood as we drove about an hour to the ruins of Mayapan ("the city of death"). After learning about Mayan culture and climbing some pyramids we drove through a village to the cenote (50 foot hole with fresh water you can jump into / swim in). We spent about 30 minutes here swimming around and jumping in. After this, we had lunch in a family's home. Lunch was sour potato mash, beans, rice and fried pork cutlet with fresh tortillas and pico / hot sauces with cantaloupe water. If you have dietary restrictions they will make adjustments if you tell them beforehand or when you get in the van. We then drove an hour back to the port where they took us straight to the ship so we didn't have to do the shuttle back. We got on the ship with plenty of time left. Juan Carlos really made this a special experience, he is super friendly, knowledgeable and fun to talk to.

Couple things to think about regarding this excursion:

- You're going to drive 2 hours round trip so prepare to chat / nap.

- You're going to go through some poor areas with a lot of street dogs. This can be tough to see if you're a dog person.

- You need to be in decent physical shape to enjoy this to the fullest. The temple at Mayapan is steep and the stairs are not very deep. I'm a 35 year old guy who is about 6 feet tall and I had to crawl up and scoot down on my butt step by step to get down. The stairs to get to the bottom of the cenote are pretty sketchy (there's very little lumber there so not professionally built) if you're over like 200 lbs it might be a concern.

- They will drive you right back to your ship which cuts off the 4 mile shuttle bus trip.

Any questions please let me know I will try to respond as fast as possible. You may see me copy this review to other places I hope that doesn't make you think it is fake, I just spent about 40 minutes writing it!

Edited by gocruiser2019

• 4 months later...

Thanks guys for giving reviews! I just booked them for our family trip. My husband and I will be traveling with four kids and my mom. They recommended a specific excursion that would be child appropriate (2, 6, 10 and 13). The added benefit will be that it'll be easier on my mom, since that is also concern, though I didn't mention it to them.

I hate being very touristy. I hate standing out. And I hate following a crowd. I am really looking forward to a private, authentic tour. Plus! The added benefit of transportation, car seats, snorkel gear, and life vests was huge to me. And for all of us it was under 600$. All inclusive! All we need is a towel! We sail in Jan 2020. I'll try to remember to update. 

Ps for anyone wondering they ask for deposit via PayPal. Then cash for the rest. 

• 3 months later...

Our family of 5 went with them in Feb this year. We had a great time! Was a wonderful excursion. Our driver and tour guide took us to Mayan ruin site and gave us info and explained all about the site to us. It quickly became hot and next we swam in a Cenote and we had her the whole place by ourselves. Even both the tour guide and driver had bathing suits and swam with us, jumped off the tow ropes and snorkeled with the kids. It was exciting and refreshing! Our family had so much fun! We even went to a Hacienda after and had a delicious lunch and dessert. All paid for and arranged by the company. We just left tip. I would use this company again for sure! 

• 3 weeks later...