I-10 closure 50 miles west of Arizona Border

SadieN

Possibly that. It was a sink hole on CNN. [rolleyes:].

Whatever it is, the highway is closed so people driving in need to go another way. Either the 40 or the 8. Also need to be careful taking the 40 because who knows what's happening in the Cajon (15) Pass right now with the road damaged by the fire and the road construction.

Edited by SadieN

Here in Phoenix it was said on the news tonight that they hoped to have a single lane open in the area of the damaged bridge. Even so this will create some kind of back up since this interstate has heavy truck traffic. Probably will be better than the 210 mile detour. There should be more coming out before Friday. Desert Center where the damage bridge is located is out in the middle of now where. Good luck to those using I-10 I feel your pain. Tim

Here in Phoenix it was said on the news tonight that they hoped to have a single lane open in the area of the damaged bridge. Even so this will create some kind of back up since this interstate has heavy truck traffic. Probably will be better than the 210 mile detour. There should be more coming out before Friday. Desert Center where the damage bridge is located is out in the middle of now where. Good luck to those using I-10 I feel your pain. Tim

They said something about opening a single lane in each direction but no details.

I know a FedEx driver in Phoenix who previously drove to Desert Center & yesterday he said that "they will probably send them down to Interstate 8 and possibly meet at the Hwy 111 exit near Brawley. It's going to add 2-4 hours to all those runs going back and forth to the LA basin".

CalTrans announced I-10 will re-open Friday at noon. The site is a pair of separate 2-lane bridges. The eastbound bridge was undermined by a flash flood and partially collapsed. The westbound bridge has minor damage that will be repaired. Temporary cross-overs are being built to move E/B traffic over to the W/B bridge, which will be 1 lane in each direction, then back.

Caltrans is warning about congestion since it narrows down to 1 lane each way....fortunately traffic is steady but not heavy so the backups shouldn't be too severe.

About 15 years ago an almost identical thing happened on I-5 in central CA. Both bridges washed away. They reopened I-5 in only a week by building a temporary bridge out of railway flatcars. It took about a year to rebuild permanent bridges.

Edited by kenish