notified IO and launched S.LC to locate the buoy. S.LC arrived O/S and could

not locate the buoy. VBFB1 also searched the channel and surrounding area

with side scan sonar with negres. Engineers onboard Grandeur of the Seas

conducted inspection of the spaces and of the propulsion/steering gear, all

gear operating normal. Pilot and 5 crew on the bridge were administered an

alcohol test and will take a drug test upon arrival at Baltimore. Channel is

open for traffic and next deep draft vessel is outbound at 1800L. Pilots and

US Navy have been notified. Case Pends.

Oops! Am I right that a buoy' date=' although huge and metal, is also a bouncy floating thing, so hopefully it just bounced off the hull and resumed its floating position, with little damage to either party?[/quote']

I read the report as saying they have not yet located the buoy that was struck.

The last message I received is :

The Coast Guard helo has located buoy and they are in the process of retrieving it with assist vessels.

Good to hear. I was thinking that a free-floating buoy would cause them to stop all traffic until they located it.

Not sure what type it was, but a lighted discus buoy can be up to 40 feet in diameter and 30 feet tall.

standard navigation buoy is not that big ... you're thinking of the weather buoys out in mid ocean (usually painted yellow)

Buoy_seal.jpg

they are TALL out of the water tho, as what you don't see here is about 10 feet of underwater structure which is a ballast or counter weight to keep it upright

nav buoys get hit quite routely .... they are held in place by a sinker and chain and not unusual for the chain to break if a ship hits and tries to pull it too far. The channel would not typically be closed in this situation, but a notice to mariners would be issued warning of the potential 'hazard to navigation'. Also not unusual for the thing to sink hence you see reference to a crew going out with sonar to try and locate. Sometime the buoy will just get 'dragged' and the sinker is pulled out of place. Here again a notice to mariners would go out as the buoy would be off station. They are $$ so CG likes to find 'em .....

large NOAA weather buoy 10m.jpg

there are smaller version too .....

Edited by Capt_BJ

Oops! Am I right that a buoy' date=' although huge and metal, is also a bouncy floating thing, so hopefully it just bounced off the hull and resumed its floating position, with little damage to either party?[/quote']

Bouncy floating thing. I'm not sure that's the technical term, but sure. ;):D

Not sure what type it was, but a lighted discus buoy can be up to 40 feet in diameter and 30 feet tall.

standard navigation buoy is not that big ... you're thinking of the weather buoys out in mid ocean (usually painted yellow)

Buoy_seal.jpg

they are TALL out of the water tho, as what you don't see here is about 10 feet of underwater structure which is a ballast or counter weight to keep it upright

nav buoys get hit quite routely .... they are held in place by a sinker and chain and not unusual for the chain to break if a ship hits and tries to pull it too far. The channel would not typically be closed in this situation, but a notice to mariners would be issued warning of the potential 'hazard to navigation'. Also not unusual for the thing to sink hence you see reference to a crew going out with sonar to try and locate. Sometime the buoy will just get 'dragged' and the sinker is pulled out of place. Here again a notice to mariners would go out as the buoy would be off station. They are $$ so CG likes to find 'em .....

Thank you, Capt BJ. I love our CC experts! <3

Buoy_seal.jpg

The yellow weather buoy you show here, the big one, used to be about 110 miles offshore Port Canaveral back in the 90’s. Some really awesome fishing around that buoy. It kept breaking free and ended up around North Carolina until replaced with a much smaller one. Thanks for the old memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

oh yea ..... dolphin/mahi REALLY liked to hang out in the shade of the disk on a sunny day. More than one I nosed up to one and had fish call. We'd land 100 pounds of Mahi in 30 minutes. Literally like shooting fish in a barrel . . .

most of the 'big ones' are gone with much smaller ones in their place. Like everything, the electronics got smaller and the weather buoy did not need to support hundreds of pound of equipment anymore. A smaller 'weather package' means smaller buoy means lighter chain - and THAT'S a biggie as a deep water weather buoy can use a LOT of chain ....

wanna see what one looks like 'right now'?

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41009

oh yea ..... dolphin/mahi REALLY liked to hang out in the shade of the disk on a sunny day. More than one I nosed up to one and had fish call. We'd land 100 pounds of Mahi in 30 minutes. Literally like shooting fish in a barrel . . .

most of the 'big ones' are gone with much smaller ones in their place. Like everything, the electronics got smaller and the weather buoy did not need to support hundreds of pound of equipment anymore. A smaller 'weather package' means smaller buoy means lighter chain - and THAT'S a biggie as a deep water weather buoy can use a LOT of chain ....

wanna see what one looks like 'right now'?

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41009

41010 was the buoy we used to fish under and around. There were alway nice triple tail on the chain and early morning had a good yellowfin tuna run. Big ones. We would also drift baits at night for swordfish. Good days of fishing. I had my Master 100 gt

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bouncy floating thing. I'm not sure that's the technical term, but sure. ;):D

Hahaha! :'):'):') I'm pretty sure "bouncy floating thing" could be used for the buoys here in our smaller lake to mark no-wake zones and show you the right of way. I'm guessing the ones for ships are a little bit bigger. Like the ones posted above. While I doubt any major damage was done, it could certainly "leave a mark." lol