Crown Princess

sunny2runner

My family and I are taking the Thanksgiving cruise on the Crown. The iffy talk is makng me nervous but I am determined to have another great cruise on Princess.

Hopefully you won't unnecessarily worry about your cruise due to "iffy" posts.

I would have missed out on many cruises (including a cumulative 2 months on the Crown) if basing my decision on negative CC posts. It's a minuscule number of the total passengers who post on CC & it's more likely to come from a few unhappy passengers. I've read posts from a few passengers doing the same thing on the same cruise who said things were horrible. I'm a relatively seasoned cruiser so I take such posts with a large grain of seasoned salt to not concern me. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hi. We sailed on the Crown for 2 weeks this summer on a western med itinerary. Our first time with Princess and we thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. We found the ship tidy and clean and hard working cabin staff looking after us. The ship was at capacity and being school holidays a mix of all ages but we never had issues over wait times in the MDR or even in the buffet. We were always happy to share and have 2 talkative teenage boys who joined in with our tables of 8 or 10. We did encounter a couple of moaners who thought we should listen to the list they were compiling...... really very petty. The husband even timed how long the lift took one night.....seriously!! Yep every ship has them lurking somewhere the doomers and gloomers DH says. I'd recommend Princess as a cruise line and we'd go back to the Crown anytime.

Hi. We sailed on the Crown for 2 weeks this summer on a western med itinerary. Our first time with Princess and we thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. We found the ship tidy and clean and hard working cabin staff looking after us. The ship was at capacity and being school holidays a mix of all ages but we never had issues over wait times in the MDR or even in the buffet. We were always happy to share and have 2 talkative teenage boys who joined in with our tables of 8 or 10. We did encounter a couple of moaners who thought we should listen to the list they were compiling...... really very petty. The husband even timed how long the lift took one night.....seriously!! Yep every ship has them lurking somewhere the doomers and gloomers DH says. I'd recommend Princess as a cruise line and we'd go back to the Crown anytime.

Isn't that the truth!!! :p

And probably many of them post negative reviews on CC which creates unnecessary anxiety for some passengers who worry that they've made a big mistake. :(

Guess we've been lucky to not experience such whiners during our cruise but they do post on CC. No experience is perfect but each of us decides how we react to disappointing situations & those filled with overreactions are not useful for me.

Did the Crown on a Thanksgiving MR cruise back in 2015. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we did it all over again, same ship, same itinerary, just a few months later for the Presidents Day holiday week in Feb 2016. There were still a lot of crew onboard from November and we were recognized by a number of them. Not sure if that is a good, or a bad thing here! ;)

• 1 month later...
My family and I are taking the Thanksgiving cruise on the Crown. The iffy talk is makng me nervous but I am determined to have another great cruise on Princess.

my DH and I are on this cruise too - I personally, cannot wait. Hope to see you at the meet and mingle!

Isn't that the truth!!! :p

And probably many of them post negative reviews on CC which creates unnecessary anxiety for some passengers who worry that they've made a big mistake. :(

Guess we've been lucky to not experience such whiners during our cruise but they do post on CC. No experience is perfect but each of us decides how we react to disappointing situations & those filled with overreactions are not useful for me.

Hi: when you sailed on the Crown this summer was the Salty Dog Pub open and was it open for lunch? We're sailing in January and would like to do a lunch reservation there. Thanks.

I've been on Crown twice, and I've been on Royal twice. While if given a choice, I would pick Royal (I like bigger/newer ships), I wouldn't hesitate to sail on Crown again. In fact, we are booked on December 1st to ABC islands.

I have to laugh at some of the comments. Rusty ship, worn carpets, ship needs TCL.

We have only been on three cruises. 2005 on the Diamond Princess after she was in service for 1 year. 2008 and 2016 on the Caribbean Princess.

All three times we saw rust, worn carpet and things needing repair. All three cruises, the crew were painting, cleaning, replacing carpet and even changed the tile in our bathroom during a port day in San Juan.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Relax, enjoy and laugh at the drama Queens and their surf husbands. As we say in the South..."Bless Your Heart". If someone says that to you, you have been insulted.

We have been on the Crown once and Royal twice with cruises on both coming up in next 6 months.

Had great experiences on both and Baltic cruise on Crown this past July was probably the best cruise w have been on.

Overall will say we prefer the Royal as a ship but both gave us excellent experiences

I spent two weeks on the Crown this past March/April and will be sailing on her again this coming January. I've also sailed on the Regal for 14 days.

Like others have said, there are things I like about both, and things I didn't. I would not hesitate booking either for any future cruise. I'm not discounting other peoples experiences, I can only speak for me, BUT...

I firmly believe that remembering to pack a good attitude makes all the difference.

Best of luck and safe travels.

Deb

We love the Regal and Royal as well as many other of Princes ships. Of all the ships the Crown is our least favorite. We are sailing on the Regal for 10 days in a couple days and then will be in Fort Lauderdale for several days and then board the Crown for a quickie with our children and their spouses/significant others for 5 days. We were not happy when the kids picked the Crown but they were looking for a 5 day and wanted us to come along. Once we learned that the Crown was taking over the Royal for the 10 day Caribbean cruises we decided to use it as a learning experience as to whether we could handle being on a ship we didn't really like for BtoB's in the winter or if it would be better for us to do the Regal on BtoBtoB's to achieve the same number of days plus one extra for our winter getaway.Several of our cruise friends are doing just that for the simple reason that the Crown can not compare to other ships in al of our opinions.

I will come back after we return and give an honest comparison between the Regal and the Crown. Since it will be one right after the other it should be unbiased and factual.

Sounds like you are already biased against the Crown - we've been on the Royal, not Regal - and this will be our first time on the Crown - the same 5 day you seem to be going on...

While we really enjoyed the Royal - we did miss the aft pool that is on the Emerald, etc and is on the Crown

We love the Regal and Royal as well as many other of Princes ships. Of all the ships the Crown is our least favorite.

I will second that thought. We sailed the Crown in 2015 and again in the spring of this year. Between those two sailings there was a noticeable difference in maintenance and crew satisfaction. I do have confidence that Princess will, or maybe has, fixed things but for now our next cruises are not on the Crown.

I feel like these kinds of things go in seasons (not necessarily related to the seasons of nature).

When I started reading posts here, the Caribbean Princess was the "dirty girl" of the fleet that seemed to get a ton of complaints. I feel like it's the Crown's turn in the barrel.

People have very real, valid complaints about any particular ship, and I respect that. But it's also probably true that each ship is a money-making asset for the corporation and they don't want to have any ship in poor condition.

Unhappy people spend less money when they're onboard and don't come back to spend more money. And that would be bad for business.

Hi: when you sailed on the Crown this summer was the Salty Dog Pub open and was it open for lunch? We're sailing in January and would like to do a lunch reservation there. Thanks.

We sailed on the Crown in October. Went to the Salty Dog one night when we didn't like the MDR options one night. Really enjoyed it. But it was not open for lunch, opened at 5 pm if I recall.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app