Larry Pimentel Post # 2 - Land Discoveries Savings Program and Destination Immersion

I would like to address your questions about our decision to eliminate the 50% Land Discoveries Savings program and to replace it with a complimentary evening special event.

For me, this topic is the most important as it represents the one activity that will deliver on our main promise of destination immersion. Questions on this thread mirror those expressed on the October 1st Bill Leiber main thread and include the removal of Land Discoveries savings as it relates to 2013 booked guests (taxjam) and (dfishner); the fact that removal is unethical (CTLeeA); guests not being interested in the complimentary tour (CTLeeA); as well as challenges with the program's booking process and erratic pricing levels (TerryAndDoug).

I will start this post by putting some context around the Land Discoveries savings program. You have heard me say again and again, that destination immersion is the key pillar for Azamara. When initially creating this savings program, we wanted to emphasize our positioning by providing a unique selling proposition that would drive consumer demand with a powerful value message of 50% savings on your shore excursions. It didn’t quite work out as I had thought.

Firstly, the participation rate was very low - 21% of our total booked guests took advantage of this savings program. Secondly, more than 1/3 of our guests booked the excursions once onboard. In researching why, we found two reasons. Some guests like to plan in advance, but many more guests get excited as they are in the midst of their trip, at which point they decide what excursions to book. But now they have to book at full price. The biggest challenge was not really any of what you have mentioned but the fact that our guests could not use their onboard spending credits to pre-book their Land Discoveries on our website.

Therefore, our intent in 2013 was to refine how we deliver on our promise of "destination-immersion" by including a special complimentary AzAmazing Evenings event that would provide a lifetime of memories in all our 2013 voyages starting in Europe this spring. Then we would simplify our shore excursion tour prices to an "every day" single level to create a "level playing field" when our guests made their decision to purchase their tours. I felt we had to re-group and put a program in place that would benefit the majority of our guests. And by the way, I realize we can never please everyone equally. Instead, we would like to please the majority.

I anticipated, based upon the last changes in 2010, that a "blink" reaction from one group might not necessarily be the reaction of all the other culturally diverse groups that comprise our market and that it might take more time for our global clients to realize that trading a discount for a memorable experience would be seen as a fair exchange.

(CTLeeA) feels that it is unethical to remove a program like this. I disagree. I have never conducted my business at any time in an unethical way. I have absolutely made mistakes along the way. I have had people disagree with my decisions but not because they were unethical. We know that things change. Some programs work, others don’t. The marketplace changes. There are many factors to consider, so we always make clear in our disclaimers that our programs are subject to change. It’s not always well received – I understand that. I’m a consumer, as well. But it is common place in our industry and in business to change mid-way if it is felt that the program doesn’t benefit the majority of customers and the business.

It is also my goal to create programs that serve the many – not only the few. We might have removed a savings offer, but we believe we have substituted it with an amazing destination experience which represents a great value for most of our guests, and certainly more than took advantage of our savings program. Some of you may think you are not interested in them, but we won’t know that for sure until you see – and hear – about the events we have planned.

Nevertheless, with your comments in mind and after reading your speculations about the pricing level of our 2012 tours and where the flat 2013 pricing levels would fall between the 50% and 100% level, I have made the decision to maintain the existing Land Discoveries Savings program and to modify its savings to a sliding scale level of 15% to 25% starting with the Europe season. The 50% savings on Land Discoveries for the Asia and South America seasons will continue as is. Our shore excursion savings will be managed in the same way our cruise revenue is managed. Every year we look at pricing and adjust as needed. The base pricing for 2013 will be the 100% pricing from 2012, however, you might see adjustments up or down based on how well (or not) the tours are selling.

Here is how it will be implemented into the marketplace:

Land Discoveries can be pre-booked online at least four days before sailing at these two levels:
[LIST]
[*]50% savings through 14-March, 2013 (Azamara Quest®) and 1-May, 2013 (Azamara Journey®) voyages.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]15% to 25% off beginning 27-March, 2013 (Quest) and 15-May, 2013 (Journey) voyages.
[/LIST]

The terms and conditions of the program, which will be named, "Land Discoveries Early Booking Savings (LDEBS)" will be as per below, but I wanted to highlight the 1st two points, as that is quite an enhancement to the program:
[LIST]
[*]NEW: LDEBS can now be used against many Land Discoveries that include a flight and/or hotel such as the overland to Angkor Wat, etc.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]NEW: LDEBS can now also be used against private car and van tours in the ports of call.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]At least one payment must be made toward the voyage portion in order to book Land Discoveries.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]All LDEBS offers are valid only if Land Discoveries are pre-booked online at least four days prior to sailing at AzamaraClubCruises.com/LandDiscoveries.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]LDEBS is not available once onboard ship.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]LDEBS excludes special ticketed events such as the Monaco Grand Prix, Rio Carnival, concerts and other performances.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Most Land Discoveries tours for 2013 are available as of 21-Oct, 2012, and for 2014 as of 1-Nov, 2012.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Booking number, ship name and sail date are required when booking online.
[*]LDEBS reservations are accepted on a first come, first served basis, subject to availability.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Onboard spending credits cannot be used towards LDEBS bookings.
[*]LDEBS is not available for chartered voyages.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Cancellation penalties apply to Land Discoveries reservations cancelled less than 24 hours prior to day of shore excursion.
[/LIST]

(TerryAndDoug) has pointed out some booking challenges. You might – or might not – be aware that the entire Guest Port Experiences team has been placed under my direction for the corporation. The first order on the agenda was to make sure that the vast majority of tours are opened shortly after new itineraries are announced. Not four months prior to each season as has been the case. On October 21, the vast majority of our excursions for 2013 will be live in our system, and can be booked. There will be a few holes for ports that are new, but they will be filled rapidly. On November 1, we will start loading the 2014 excursions, and this should be completed within the following couple of weeks. We are also looking at the booking tool itself, and while this is not immediate, I think you will be pleased once we can announce the many enhancements we are planning.

Additionally, as announced at the outset of this year in January, we added another resource to our team to focus on our Land Discoveries. Emilio Freeman has been busy working on the 2013 AzAmazing Evenings, and is now working on the 2014 events. However, he is also focusing on developing additional tours that will allow you to experience the destinations we take you to in depth – both during day and at night.

Besides adding more time to market our tours on our website we will be "rightsizing" the number of tour options on each day's menu to enable you to improve your focus by minimizing confusion and hopefully maximizing your participation.

Going forward in 2013 there will be three Land Discoveries categories:

1) Day Land Discoveries - as we know them, but there will be fewer offered. Quality will be enhanced, however, with too many tours offered, the participation frequently was too low to operate the tour, thus a high number of cancellations.

2) Night Touring - this category remains and offers custom tailored, intimate and authentic experiences. For example:
[LIST]
[*]Bangkok - Azamara Journey voyages: 23-Dec, 2012 / 3-Feb, 2013 / 20-Feb, 2013 / 3-Apr, 2013
[*]Thai Nightlife - Sirocco al fresco dining and a boxing match
[*]Monks, Tuk Tuks & Dinner - use the three-wheeled open aired Thailand vehicle to experience the night life
[*]Kobe, Japan - Azamara Journey voyage: 6-Mar, 2013, Sumo Wrestling
[/LIST]
3) AzAmazing Evenings - these exclusive destination events usually operate at the beginning of the voyage and include a cultural show, local beverages, light food and a festive atmosphere to create "A Destination Affair to Remember."

I hope these comments and observations answer your questions. Land Discoveries is a top priority for us simply because they make such a big difference in how you experience the destinations and whether you will vacation again on Azamara.

[quote name='Larry Pimentel']I would like to address your questions about our decision to eliminate the 50% Land Discoveries Savings program and to replace it with a complimentary evening special event.

For me, this topic is the most important as it represents the one activity that will deliver on our main promise of destination immersion. Questions on this thread mirror those expressed on the October 1st Bill Leiber main thread and include the removal of Land Discoveries savings as it relates to 2013 booked guests (taxjam) and (dfishner); the fact that removal is unethical (CTLeeA); guests not being interested in the complimentary tour (CTLeeA); as well as challenges with the program's booking process and erratic pricing levels (TerryAndDoug).

I will start this post by putting some context around the Land Discoveries savings program. You have heard me say again and again, that destination immersion is the key pillar for Azamara. When initially creating this savings program, we wanted to emphasize our positioning by providing a unique selling proposition that would drive consumer demand with a powerful value message of 50% savings on your shore excursions. It didn’t quite work out as I had thought.

Firstly, the participation rate was very low - 21% of our total booked guests took advantage of this savings program. Secondly, more than 1/3 of our guests booked the excursions once onboard. In researching why, we found two reasons. Some guests like to plan in advance, but many more guests get excited as they are in the midst of their trip, at which point they decide what excursions to book. But now they have to book at full price. The biggest challenge was not really any of what you have mentioned but the fact that our guests could not use their onboard spending credits to pre-book their Land Discoveries on our website.

Therefore, our intent in 2013 was to refine how we deliver on our promise of "destination-immersion" by including a special complimentary AzAmazing Evenings event that would provide a lifetime of memories in all our 2013 voyages starting in Europe this spring. Then we would simplify our shore excursion tour prices to an "every day" single level to create a "level playing field" when our guests made their decision to purchase their tours. I felt we had to re-group and put a program in place that would benefit the majority of our guests. And by the way, I realize we can never please everyone equally. Instead, we would like to please the majority.

I anticipated, based upon the last changes in 2010, that a "blink" reaction from one group might not necessarily be the reaction of all the other culturally diverse groups that comprise our market and that it might take more time for our global clients to realize that trading a discount for a memorable experience would be seen as a fair exchange.

(CTLeeA) feels that it is unethical to remove a program like this. I disagree. I have never conducted my business at any time in an unethical way. I have absolutely made mistakes along the way. I have had people disagree with my decisions but not because they were unethical. We know that things change. Some programs work, others don’t. The marketplace changes. There are many factors to consider, so we always make clear in our disclaimers that our programs are subject to change. It’s not always well received – I understand that. I’m a consumer, as well. But it is common place in our industry and in business to change mid-way if it is felt that the program doesn’t benefit the majority of customers and the business.

It is also my goal to create programs that serve the many – not only the few. We might have removed a savings offer, but we believe we have substituted it with an amazing destination experience which represents a great value for most of our guests, and certainly more than took advantage of our savings program. Some of you may think you are not interested in them, but we won’t know that for sure until you see – and hear – about the events we have planned.

Nevertheless, with your comments in mind and after reading your speculations about the pricing level of our 2012 tours and where the flat 2013 pricing levels would fall between the 50% and 100% level, I have made the decision to maintain the existing Land Discoveries Savings program and to modify its savings to a sliding scale level of 15% to 25% starting with the Europe season. The 50% savings on Land Discoveries for the Asia and South America seasons will continue as is. Our shore excursion savings will be managed in the same way our cruise revenue is managed. Every year we look at pricing and adjust as needed. The base pricing for 2013 will be the 100% pricing from 2012, however, you might see adjustments up or down based on how well (or not) the tours are selling.

Land Discoveries can be pre-booked online at least four days before sailing at these two levels:
[LIST]
[*]50% savings through 14-March, 2013 (Azamara Quest®) and 1-May, 2013 (Azamara Journey®) voyages.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]15% to 25% off beginning 27-March, 2013 (Quest) and 15-May, 2013 (Journey) voyages.
[/LIST]

The terms and conditions of the program, which will be named, "Land Discoveries Early Booking Savings (LDEBS)" will be as per below, but I wanted to highlight the 1st two points, as that is quite an enhancement to the program:
[LIST]
[*]NEW: LDEBS can now be used against many Land Discoveries that include a flight and/or hotel such as the overland to Angkor Wat, etc.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]NEW: LDEBS can now also be used against private car and van tours in the ports of call.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]At least one payment must be made toward the voyage portion in order to book Land Discoveries.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]All LDEBS offers are valid only if Land Discoveries are pre-booked online at least four days prior to sailing at AzamaraClubCruises.com/LandDiscoveries.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]LDEBS excludes special ticketed events such as the Monaco Grand Prix, Rio Carnival, concerts and other performances.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Most Land Discoveries tours for 2013 are available as of 21-Oct, 2012, and for 2014 as of 1-Nov, 2012.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]LDEBS reservations are accepted on a first come, first served basis, subject to availability.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Cancellation penalties apply to Land Discoveries reservations cancelled less than 24 hours prior to day of shore excursion.
[/LIST]

(TerryAndDoug) has pointed out some booking challenges. You might – or might not – be aware that the entire Guest Port Services team has been placed under my direction for the corporation. The first order on the agenda was to make sure that the vast majority of tours are opened shortly after new itineraries are announced. Not four months prior to each season as has been the case. On October 21, the vast majority of our excursions for 2013 will be live in our system, and can be booked. There will be a few holes for ports that are new, but they will be filled rapidly. On November 1, we will start loading the 2014 excursions, and this should be completed within the following couple of weeks. We are also looking at the booking tool itself, and while this is not immediate, I think you will be pleased once we can announce the many enhancements we are planning.

Additionally, as announced at the outset of this year in January, we added another resource to our team to focus on our Land Discoveries. Emilio Freeman has been busy working on the 2013 AzAmazing Evenings, and is now working on the 2014 events. However, he is also focusing on developing additional tours that will allow you to experience the destinations we take you to in depth – both during day and at night.

Besides adding more time to market our tours on our website we will be "rightsizing" the number of tour options on each day's menu to enable you to improve your focus by minimizing confusion and hopefully maximizing your participation.

1) Day Land Discoveries - as we know them, but there will be fewer offered. Quality will be enhanced, however, with too many tours offered, the participation frequently was too low to operate the tour, thus a high number of cancellations.

2) Night Touring - this category remains and offers custom tailored, intimate and authentic experiences. For example:
[LIST]
[*]Bangkok - Azamara Journey voyages: 23-Dec, 2012 / 3-Feb, 2013 / 20-Feb, 2013 / 3-Apr, 2013
[*]Monks, Tuk Tuks & Dinner - use the three-wheeled open aired Thailand vehicle to experience the night life
[/LIST]
3) AzAmazing Evenings - these exclusive destination events usually operate at the beginning of the voyage and include a cultural show, local beverages, light food and a festive atmosphere to create "A Destination Affair to Remember."
[/LIST]

I hope these comments and observations answer your questions. Land Discoveries is a top priority for us simply because they make such a big difference in how you experience the destinations and whether you will vacation again on Azamara.[/QUOTE

There is only one way to look at this in my book. I would much rather pay 15 to 25% off on a better tour then pay 50% off on a normal mass market type tour. This makes more sense to me Larry. I am looking forward to seeing the new tour package next week and booking them for our cruise. It is all about the quality of the tour and of course the correct pricing for it.

Thankyou for clarifying this. We took a couple of tours on our recent cruise and felt they were very well done. Looking forward to one day experiencing the special night tours.
How helpful it will be to be able to see the tours that will be offered so far in advance.

Thank you for your responses over the past two days. I appreciate hearing your take on things. I second the above post - having a look at the excursions so far ahead is very helpful. We like to do a combination of ship's tours and private excursions and the opportunity to view the excursion options ahead of time will be very helpful. We are also excited to see what AzAmazing activities are planned.

[quote name='Larry Pimentel']I would like to address your questions about our decision to eliminate the 50% Land Discoveries Savings program and to replace it with a complimentary evening special event.

[LIST]
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[/LIST]
(TerryAndDoug) has pointed out some booking challenges. You might – or might not – be aware that the entire Guest Port Experiences team has been placed under my direction for the corporation. The first order on the agenda was to make sure that the vast majority of tours are opened shortly after new itineraries are announced. Not four months prior to each season as has been the case. On October 21, the vast majority of our excursions for 2013 will be live in our system, and can be booked. There will be a few holes for ports that are new, but they will be filled rapidly. On November 1, we will start loading the 2014 excursions, and this should be completed within the following couple of weeks. We are also looking at the booking tool itself, and while this is not immediate, I think you will be pleased once we can announce the many enhancements we are planning.

[LIST]
[/LIST]3) AzAmazing Evenings - these exclusive destination events usually operate at the beginning of the voyage and include a cultural show, local beverages, light food and a festive atmosphere to create "A Destination Affair to Remember."

I hope these comments and observations answer your questions. Land Discoveries is a top priority for us simply because they make such a big difference in how you experience the destinations and whether you will vacation again on Azamara.[/quote]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Your eloquent and informative answers are so refreshing. We are big RCL cruisers (almost at their Pinnacle Level) and Celebrity Cruisers. I have had my eye on Azamara for some time and I have done plenty of research on Azamara and your competition. I will say that with the facts mentioned above, you are creating a strong competitive advantage over other cruise lines and solidifying your position in the niche market you described in an earlier post. Well done!! This has led me to decide that I will be booking an Azamara cruise soon. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Many thanks and best regards,[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Dan[/FONT][/SIZE]

Larry,

Thanks for your listening and modifying your newly announced 2013 strategy, so that discounts will be available for pre-booking excursions online. Once I see details of the Azamazing Evening for our November 2013 cruise, I hope you'll prove me wrong, and that I will see value in what has been planned!

Thanks,
Doug

Mr. P. is entitled to his own opinion but he is not entitled to his own facts. My belief that Azamara has acted unethically by the bait and switch tactic employed to entice those of us with a 50% discount on land tours only to later replace that benefit with a substantially inferior benefit (the single night tour involving the entire ship) is what I communicated both to Mr. P. and on this board in other areas as did many other posters similarly situated. For him to respond as he did below, displays a gross misunderstanding of what our issue is. We fully understand that Mr. P. has the authority to make changes to the benefits, however to treat those of us who went under deposit with Azamara's ads at least partially because Azamara promised us that we'd receive a 50% tour discount is, in my opinion, a fraudulent and deceptive practice. The fact that Azamara has in place a cancellation charge which includes those of us not willing to be a part of this shell game crosses a line. I intend to inform appropriate regulatory agencies of this act to and they will determine if any consumer or trade laws were violated. I also intend to inform consumer advocates in the travel industry as well. Thus far, I have informed that Azamara's stand on this issue is unheard of.

" CTLeeA) feels that it is unethical to remove a program like this. I disagree. I have never conducted my business at any time in an unethical way. I have absolutely made mistakes along the way. I have had people disagree with my decisions but not because they were unethical. We know that things change. Some programs work, others don’t. The marketplace changes. There are many factors to consider, so we always make clear in our disclaimers that our programs are subject to change. It’s not always well received – I understand that. I’m a consumer, as well. But it is common place in our industry and in business to change mid-way if it is felt that the program doesn’t benefit the majority of customers and the business."

[quote name='CTLeeA']Mr. P. is entitled to his own opinion but he is not entitled to his own facts. My belief that Azamara has acted unethically by the bait and switch tactic employed to entice those of us with a 50% discount on land tours only to later replace that benefit with a substantially inferior benefit (the single night tour involving the entire ship) is what I communicated both to Mr. P. and on this board in other areas as did many other posters similarly situated. For him to respond as he did below, displays a gross misunderstanding of what our issue is. We fully understand that Mr. P. has the authority to make changes to the benefits, however to treat those of us who went under deposit with Azamara's ads at least partially because Azamara promised us that we'd receive a 50% tour discount is, in my opinion, a fraudulent and deceptive practice. The fact that Azamara has in place a cancellation charge which includes those of us not willing to be a part of this shell game crosses a line. I intend to inform appropriate regulatory agencies of this act to and they will determine if any consumer or trade laws were violated. I also intend to inform consumer advocates in the travel industry as well. Thus far, I have informed that Azamara's stand on this issue is unheard of.

" CTLeeA) feels that it is unethical to remove a program like this. I disagree. I have never conducted my business at any time in an unethical way. I have absolutely made mistakes along the way. I have had people disagree with my decisions but not because they were unethical. We know that things change. Some programs work, others don’t. The marketplace changes. There are many factors to consider, so we always make clear in our disclaimers that our programs are subject to change. It’s not always well received – I understand that. I’m a consumer, as well. But it is common place in our industry and in business to change mid-way if it is felt that the program doesn’t benefit the majority of customers and the business."[/QUOTE]

I have to agree that changing terms and conditions once a contract has been agreed is unethical. The very least that Azamara should do is give you the opportunity to cancel your cruise with a full refund of all monies paid out.

Larry, when I first read your response regarding the removal of the 50% LDS program I was disappointed that you had not addressed the issue of those of us who have already booked for 2013 & in the UK with non-refundable deposits.. Having read it again, I am pretty angry and insulted. If I have understood you correctly this alternative LDEBS is likely to result in your passengers paying even more for the excursions.

1. I booked my June 2013 cruise, paying a non-refundable deposit and expected to be entitled to the promotions advertised at the time. The LDS promoted AT THE TIME OF BOOKING offered a 50% reduction on excursions booked in advance. I believe that any change violates UK consumer law. I contacted Azamara regarding this on 6th Oct & apart from a "All emails received have been forwarded to our marketing teams here and in the USA for their review." have received no further communication. Even if you had decided not to reinstate the original LDS in general, I was expecting a response from you regarding those of us who have already booked for 2013.

2. Oct 1st - you announce the changes, stating that the 50% LDS will be dropped in favour of one price for excursions booked at any time but that the price will be somewhere between 50% and 100%. So let's say you planned to price these excursions at 75% or even 80% of the existing rate.

3. Yesterday you respond with another change supposedly designed to placate us. Now if we book in advance we will pay 75% or 85% of the excursion price (please explain "sliding scale level of 15% to 25%" - what does this mean?) BUT if we book on board - and you state this this is the majority - we pay 100%.

So now instead of 100% of passengers paying a lower rate, only the small proportion that you say prefer to booking in advance will benefit from the savings. Is this correct? As you have not even addressed the lack of marketing excursions to existing reservations in order to promote early booking, I can only assume now that this is deliberate so that as few as possible passengers take advantage of the small savings that you are now offering. Basically this is all about increasing revenue even further and you have taken advantage of [quote]a "blink" reaction from one group[/quote] in order to do so.

Please tell me that I am wrong here.

Mr. Pimentel clearly states that the 50% off program has not generated the participation that was expected. It would make no sense to continue a program that doesn't benefit the majority of customers or the company. He states that they will be offering a discount if booked online prior to sailing, and from the reports I have heard (from participants) about the shipwide night excursions that have been held in the past, they are exceptional, memory making events. I don't understand getting so worked up about not getting 50% off of excursions. Is that the primary reason for choosing a cruise? It sure isn't for us.

[quote name='laurieb']that hadn't been posted when I wrote my post. I was responding to one above that...[/QUOTE]
I'm not clear which post you are referring to, maybe mine?

No, a cruise isn't booked solely for it's excursion prices, but if 50% discount on tours is part of the package you agree with the cruise line, then that is what you should be able to get.
As another poster has pointed out, we in the UK forfeit our deposit if we cancel.

As for the 'Azamazing' evening' it's a little like buying a pig in a poke, you don't know exactly what you are signing up for.

The thought of a shipwide event that may or may not appeal to my particular likes is not my idea of 'upmarket'.

600+ passengers at the same event would not be our choice, more reason to stay away, which of course we are entitled to, however it would still be included in the cost of our cruise.

[COLOR=red]I am thrilled that some discounts will be offered summer of 2013.. I use some ship tours and some private ones. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I have had tours cancel by the ship- lack of people and weather. i use that money in the spa. by looking at it that way i am ok wih it.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000] the only problem last year a wine tour was cancel and i piaf full price for another one. i booekd at 50% off and i feel the new one should of been the same. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]i find i book more ship tours in s America ,then Europe -almsot none in the crribbean as i have been there to many times and know where i am going.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]More night touring is great. also like the option of afternoon tours over morning as i hate mornings.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000] Thanks Larry for answering and helping us with price points in 2013 and 2014.[/COLOR]

[quote name='MeMomandaMap']Read Zennors response again slowly and the entire post.

He is from the UK, rules and regulations have put him in a position that his AZ deposit is NON REFUNDABLE.

He gave AZ his money when AZ advertised 50% off shorex.

in the USA this is bait and switch, false advertising etc etc.

We have recourses in the USA that other countries might not have

He has every reason to be worked up!!!![/quote]

Just a question regarding rules etc What if, at the time of booking, a certain port was on the itinerary and at a later date AZ dropped or changed that stop. Zennor gave AZ his money when AZ advertised the original itinerary. Azamara has the right to change itineraries (as do all cruise lines). Is bait and switch as well?
Also, isn't this an advertising issue, not a contract issue because I don't think you actually "sign" or agree to the contract until final payment when you get your edocs.
I can understand Zennor being upset at the loss of the program but I don't understand why this is a legal issue. No flames please, just an explanation:confused::)

[quote name='ellbon']

[COLOR=#ff0000]the only problem last year a wine tour was cancel and i piaf full price for another one. i booekd at 50% off and i feel the new one should of been the same. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000].[/COLOR][/quote]

That should not have happened. We had a tour canceled last year by the tour operator and everyone was put into a similar tour (with option to cancel), and it was at the 50% off price. I remember because it was a half day tour in Kos Greece and was a deal at $21.00 per person at 50% off.

Unless your new tour was some special event, AZ should give you the additional amount you paid in the form of OBC to use on your next cruise. I am surprised this wasn't handled differently while onboard. There is even a post by Bill Leiber that confirms this is the way this should be handled. You should find the post and email customer service to have this resolved.

Larry,

Thank you for your first two responses which if read carefully and critically provide insight into the direction you have charted for Azamara.

[B][U]Regarding Post # 1, Pricing and Value[/U][/B]. What you say is great and the price increases which you call 10% and 5% sound reasonable. I do not have the information necessary to verify these numbers. However, I do know that the back to back cruises I booked in January 2012 for July and August 2013 have increased roughly16% in approximately 10 months and if I booked the same Norwegian Fjords cruise for 2014 it would have increased 33% again a rather steep price change in 10 months. Whatever the increases, individual customers and travel agents will vote with their dollars as to the new value proposition.

[B][U]Regarding Post # 2, the Rescission of the 50% Off Land Discoveries[/U][/B]. Since I am currently planning on cruising on my previously booked back to back July/August 2013 cruises, I am pleased with your comments on improving the quality and pricing of the shore excursions offered by Azamara. If you succeed in providing reasonably priced, wonderful shore excursions you will have greatly enhanced the Azamara value proposition. Time will tell you succeed in this objective and if the pricing (between 50% and 100% of current pricing) and discounting for 2013 customers booked before October 1, 2012 (between 15% to 25%) is an acceptable substitution for the 50% off shore excursion program.

[B][U]Ethics[/U][/B]. I am disappointed that in discussing the criticism of the 50% off shore excursion program you cited only CTLeeA as calling the rescission as “unethical.” CTLeeA was not a lone voice, however, as I and many others offered the same criticism. In fact, I characterized the conduct as “bait and switch.” While I am open minded and will look with interested when the 2013 tours are available, I note that your extensive answer seemed to me to be what Ricky Ricardo of "I Love Lucy" fame described as “a lot of 'splainin' to do.” Bottom line, as any MBA student will tell you, is that basic business ethics requires that you not change a promise to customers. Claiming you are giving the customer something better doesn’t cut it. As others have said, at a minimum, you should have dual tracked the programs and made available the 50% off discount to those who booked 2013 cruises prior to October 1st. Basic business ethics requires that.

[B][U]Judgment with Dollars[/U][/B]. To me, the price increases have changed the value proposition. I booked Oceania Marina for the winter 2013/2014 because I didn’t think I should pay top dollar for an outdated infrastructure (170 sq ft staterooms, only two specialty dining venues, etc.). Moreover, the 50% off shore excursion rescission leaves me questioning whether I can have faith that the product I book in 2012 is what I will get or want when I cruise in 2014. Admittedly, I will miss Azamara’s onboard staffing from your Captain’s down to the last crew member. Time will tell how other customers see Azamara’s new pricing. Time will also tell if my skepticism is replaced by enthusiasm but for now I am a skeptic.

[quote name='Glenndale']I'm not clear which post you are referring to, maybe mine?

No, a cruise isn't booked solely for it's excursion prices, but if 50% discount on tours is part of the package you agree with the cruise line, then that is what you should be able to get.
As another poster has pointed out, we in the UK forfeit our deposit if we cancel.

As for the 'Azamazing' evening' it's a little like buying a pig in a poke, you don't know exactly what you are signing up for.

The thought of a shipwide event that may or may not appeal to my particular likes is not my idea of 'upmarket'.

600+ passengers at the same event would not be our choice, more reason to stay away, which of course we are entitled to, however it would still be included in the cost of our cruise.[/QUOTE]

No, not referring to yours.
The evening events I have heard about had the passengers split into 4 different groups, going different places but all doing the same thing. I'm looking forward to seeing what's in store in the future

[quote name='taxjam']Larry,

Thank you for your first two responses which if read carefully and critically provide insight into the direction you have charted for Azamara.

[B][U]Regarding Post # 1, Pricing and Value[/U][/B]. What you say is great and the price increases which you call 10% and 5% sound reasonable. I do not have the information necessary to verify these numbers. However, I do know that the back to back cruises I booked in January 2012 for July and August 2013 have increased roughly16% in approximately 10 months and if I booked the same Norwegian Fjords cruise for 2014 it would have increased 33% again a rather steep price change in 10 months. Whatever the increases, individual customers and travel agents will vote with their dollars as to the new value proposition.

[B][U]Regarding Post # 2, the Rescission of the 50% Off Land Discoveries[/U][/B]. Since I am currently planning on cruising on my previously booked back to back July/August 2013 cruises, I am pleased with your comments on improving the quality and pricing of the shore excursions offered by Azamara. If you succeed in providing reasonably priced, wonderful shore excursions you will have greatly enhanced the Azamara value proposition. Time will tell you succeed in this objective and if the pricing (between 50% and 100% of current pricing) and discounting for 2013 customers booked before October 1, 2012 (between 15% to 25%) is an acceptable substitution for the 50% off shore excursion program.

[B][U]Ethics[/U][/B]. I am disappointed that in discussing the criticism of the 50% off shore excursion program you cited only CTLeeA as calling the rescission as “unethical.” CTLeeA was not a lone voice, however, as I and many others offered the same criticism. In fact, I characterized the conduct as “bait and switch.” While I am open minded and will look with interested when the 2013 tours are available, I note that your extensive answer seemed to me to be what Ricky Ricardo of "I Love Lucy" fame described as “a lot of 'splainin' to do.” Bottom line, as any MBA student will tell you, is that basic business ethics requires that you not change a promise to customers. Claiming you are giving the customer something better doesn’t cut it. As others have said, at a minimum, you should have dual tracked the programs and made available the 50% off discount to those who booked 2013 cruises prior to October 1st. Basic business ethics requires that.

[B][U]Judgment with Dollars[/U][/B]. To me, the price increases have changed the value proposition. I booked Oceania Marina for the winter 2013/2014 because I didn’t think I should pay top dollar for an outdated infrastructure (170 sq ft staterooms, only two specialty dining venues, etc.). Moreover, the 50% off shore excursion rescission leaves me questioning whether I can have faith that the product I book in 2012 is what I will get or want when I cruise in 2014. Admittedly, I will miss Azamara’s onboard staffing from your Captain’s down to the last crew member. Time will tell how other customers see Azamara’s new pricing. Time will also tell if my skepticism is replaced by enthusiasm but for now I am a skeptic.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for pointing out what should have been very obvious to to Larry Pimental. His response to the issue of those of us early bookers to whom he refuses to honor his company's promise of a 50% discount was, essentially, "things change". Jade 13 pointed out that the cancellation fee is low should we cancel. Why should we have any cancellation charge whatsoever since our reason for cancelling would be the "bait and switch" tactic we're objecting to? But let's do some math. Pimental (I believe it was he) wrote of some 2000+ early bookers impacted by his decision to eliminate the 50% discount. He then went on to write that only about 21% of passengers booked tours. I suppose he was referring to 'passenger days' since he was unclear as to if the touring passengers were the same people on each tour or not. So Pimental is then saying that 2000 x 21% of us are impacted....that's about 400 of us. If each of us 400 took one $200 tour per day, on an 11 day cruise, after considering sea says, etc., we, were saving 50% X $200 x 9 or $900. Multiply $900 times 400 passengers and we get a total saving to Azamara of $360,000, by discontinuing this benefit to those of us to whom it was promised.

Per Yahoo Finance, the revenue for Azamara's parent company, Royal Carib. was $7.75 BILLION dollars....the savings to RCL via not honoring their 50% discount is .0046 of 1% of their revenue. So, Azamara has alienated 2000 plus passengers for this 'paltry' amount. If they had chose to, they could have given us sufficient OBC to equal the 50%, they could have adjusted our cruise fair or done a multitude of other things to make it right. Instead, Larry Pimental wrote, "things change". I think, Taxjam, we're attempting to teach ethics to someone who would rather hide behind legalese language than honor his his promise to passengers who never thought they'd be treated by Azamara in this fashion.

[quote name='CTLeeA'] Jade 13 pointed out that the cancellation fee is low should we cancel. Why should we have any cancellation charge whatsoever since our reason for cancelling would be the "bait and switch" tactic we're objecting to?[/QUOTE]

CTLeeA, if you are going to quote me, please be accurate with my entire statement. What I stated to you on the main Azamara board/thread was,

[COLOR="Red"][B]"My guess is that they would agree to waive the cancellation fee."[/B][/COLOR] I than added, I don't think it was that much.", because I don't recall what the new cancelation fee is, but I think it is a small amount and my guess is at this point they would be willing to waive the fee for you (or anyone) who wishes to cancel because of this issue.

Personally, I think everyone should wait until next week to see what the cost of the shore excursions will be. Mr. Pimentel stated there will be some discount for those who have booked 2013 cruises. And, Bill Leiber had stated some would be less than the current full prices, although I don't think that is what Mr. Pimentel stated.

Most people (including us) won't book any of them if they are not interesting enough and/or we do not see the value. I am sure you would agree that those who are most upset are those who only do ships tours in the first place. But the point is that we do not know how these will be priced until the excursions are loaded next week.

[quote name='laurieb']Mr. Pimentel clearly states that the 50% off program has not generated the participation that was expected. It would make no sense to continue a program that doesn't benefit the majority of customers or the company. He states that they will be offering a discount if booked online prior to sailing, and from the reports I have heard (from participants) about the shipwide night excursions that have been held in the past, they are exceptional, memory making events. I don't understand getting so worked up about not getting 50% off of excursions. Is that the primary reason for choosing a cruise? It sure isn't for us.[/quote]

What he does not address is why the early booking discount was not being taken up. They are not promoted to customers once the excursions are available. The only way I found out about the promotion in 2011 was via this forum.

Of course the 50% LDS was not the only criteria for the cruise. When we booked we were aware that there were various items included: gratuities, wine etc. & that if we chose to take ship's excursions these would be discounted (if booked in advance). Therefore we took all this into account when choosing a cruise and estimating its overall cost.

[quote name='zennor']What he does not address is why the early booking discount was not being taken up. They are not promoted to customers once the excursions are available. The only way I found out about the promotion in 2011 was via this forum.

[/QUOTE]

They have not been marketed well, and hopefully this will be addressed as the question that I asked has to do with marketing the company, as well as the shore excursions.

[quote name='taxjam']Larry,

[B][U]Regarding Post # 2, the Rescission of the 50% Off Land Discoveries[/U][/B]. Since I am currently planning on cruising on my previously booked back to back July/August 2013 cruises, I am pleased with your comments on improving the quality and pricing of the shore excursions offered by Azamara. If you succeed in providing reasonably priced, wonderful shore excursions you will have greatly enhanced the Azamara value proposition. Time will tell you succeed in this objective and if the pricing (between 50% and 100% of current pricing) and discounting for 2013 customers booked before October 1, 2012 (between 15% to 25%) is an acceptable substitution for the 50% off shore excursion program. .[/quote]

Where does Larry say this? He says:

[quote]Nevertheless, with your comments in mind and after reading your speculations about the pricing level of our 2012 tours and where the flat 2013 pricing levels would fall between the 50% and 100% level, I have made the decision to maintain the existing Land Discoveries Savings program and to modify its savings to a sliding scale level of 15% to 25% starting with the Europe season. The 50% savings on Land Discoveries for the Asia and South America seasons will continue as is. Our shore excursion savings will be managed in the same way our cruise revenue is managed. Every year we look at pricing and adjust as needed.[B] The base pricing for 2013 will be the 100% pricing from 2012[/B], however, you might see adjustments up or down based on how well (or not) the tours are selling. [/quote]As far as I can see, the base price will no longer be between 50% & 100% but [B]100%[/B] with a discount of 15-25% for everyone who books in advance. There is no mention of any concession for those who booked prior to Oct 1st. Doesn't this mean that everyone who books onboard will pay more for excursions than was originally envisaged in the Oct 1st announcement?

Larry, please can you respond.

Archived