8 Year old who wants to be with 10 year old sister in Voyager kids club on Allure

They were flexible with us when my youngest wanted to be with his older brother (although it was in the explorers club 6-8 and my youngest was 5) but said it would be on a trial basis as they'd see how he settled. I'd ask when you first sign them up on board.

Thanks, you two. I'm glad to know. They really need to go to the kids' club on Allure from what I'm reading. Looks great (at the end of our "Disney Period" they didn't want to go) and Mommy and I wouldn't mind a few quiet moments. They need to focus on the "win-win" nature of this thing. They never do since planning :15 ahead is outside their comfort zone. Kids.

Thanks, you two. I'm glad to know. They really need to go to the kids' club on Allure from what I'm reading. Looks great (at the end of our "Disney Period" they didn't want to go) and Mommy and I wouldn't mind a few quiet moments. They need to focus on the "win-win" nature of this thing. They never do since planning :15 ahead is outside their comfort zone. Kids.

The most important thing is to make them go the first night, when everyone is new.

Edited by clarea

They tend to be more apt to have the older child age down to the younger group. But, maybe your 10 year old would be happier hanging with new friends her own age than with her little brother. Also, she will be at an age where she can be given sign out privileges while he cannot.

Depending on the number of kids, they sometimes combine the 6-8 and 9-11 age groups. Also, depending on the number of kids, they may allow the older kid to go down to the next lower group. Then again, they may not.

We've had our kids want to stay together once or twice, and we tell them 'no' before the cruise. Then once on board, we'd ask. That way no one is setting unrealistic expectations, and no one ends up disappointed.

They tend to be more apt to have the older child age down to the younger group. But, maybe your 10 year old would be happier hanging with new friends her own age than with her little brother. Also, she will be at an age where she can be given sign out privileges while he cannot.

People keep mentioning this but I cant see how they could allow dropping down. I have seen several parents turned down. I can see going up for a younger child who is more mature...we have had experience of this a couple of times.

My reasoning on this is if the older child accidentally hurts(which does happen) another persons child. I just cant see Royal Caribbean taking this risk.

Has anyone any experience of Royal Caribbean allowing older children go into a younger child's age group?

People keep mentioning this but I cant see how they could allow dropping down. I have seen several parents turned down. I can see going up for a younger child who is more mature...we have had experience of this a couple of times.

My reasoning on this is if the older child accidentally hurts(which does happen) another persons child. I just cant see Royal Caribbean taking this risk.

Has anyone any experience of Royal Caribbean allowing older children go into a younger child's age group?

Not any personal experience yet, but we will be on Allure in 2 weeks and I've been told they can age down for special needs children. I have 2 special needs kids and will be getting them grouped by their ability as opposed to age.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They may have changed the policy, but years ago when we tried to get our children together in the same age group, the policy was a very firm NO. And they have all the children's ages bc of their passport info so don't try to fudge on their ages ( not saying that we tried...!).

I think it depends on the ship and how many children are onboard to a certain degree.

We are on the Serenade right now, just finishing a 10 night cruise and my 8 and 10 year olds have been together in the club most of the time.

There are only 90 minors on board this cruise so that probably has something to do with it.

They have enjoyed the kids club more on this ship than any of the bigger ships we have been on!

When it suits them they combine groups. We tend to go at "off" times and either two or three cruises where DS has been slated for the 9-11 group they've clumped them in with the 6-8 year olds.

And then they've played almost exclusively ball games, where the ball is kicked or thrown. So there are 6 year olds in there playing ball with nearly 12 year olds. The counselors keep control over it, but they *know* that the room is mixed (each time this has happened they actually have it in the 6-8 year old room). It's not just one older or younger kid in there.

Not any personal experience yet, but we will be on Allure in 2 weeks and I've been told they can age down for special needs children. I have 2 special needs kids and will be getting them grouped by their ability as opposed to age.

Makes sense.

Hope it goes well

When it suits them they combine groups. We tend to go at "off" times and either two or three cruises where DS has been slated for the 9-11 group they've clumped them in with the 6-8 year olds.

And then they've played almost exclusively ball games, where the ball is kicked or thrown. So there are 6 year olds in there playing ball with nearly 12 year olds. The counselors keep control over it, but they *know* that the room is mixed (each time this has happened they actually have it in the 6-8 year old room). It's not just one older or younger kid in there.

Yes seen that done on several cruises. Plus certain activities they always combine. It makes sense and it advertised including in brochures this can happen.

It is just the one child ageing down without other parents realising I wonder if anyone has any experience of it actually happening. I just cant see youth staff taking that risk

My older daughter has "downgraded" it twice to be with my younger daughter (Enchantment, Brilliance). My younger daughter did it once, because she didn't like the activities offered in her own age group (Brilliance).

In both cases, the kids were at the young end of their age group.

Enchantment was Labor Day weekend, both Brilliance cruises were during the spring break time frame.

So yes, it does happen. But they don't have to allow it.

• 1 month later...
Makes sense.

Hope it goes well

Reporting back and the club on Allure had no issues aging down both of kids , they both have disabilities. The staff was very accommodating and assisted with keeping them engaged.

I also suggest that you look over the kids club schedule the night before and find a few things your kids are excited about doing. We've gone in summer months on Oasis class and found that they follow that schedule line up pretty closely. It can be a good incentive for a hesitant kid. They're not just walking into a room and need to make friends--they're walking into a pre-planned activity that they want to do--GaGa ball, treasure hunt, etc. Then they may even want to stay longer than they thought after they got comfortable. But for my kids, choosing the activity really helped them ease into the club.