Carrying water onto the Grandeur

I have relatives taking their first ever cruise on Grandeur leaving 4/8. I have been telling them that they can carry on a case of water. They say the web site says you can't. My question is. Has anyone recently carried water onto the Grandeur? I don't want them to get to the port and be told no and then think what an idiot I am. Thanks

The official policy is no cases of water. That said, all reports are very hit or miss on enforcement at the port. As is usually the advice on here, they might as well try and if not allowed, they're only out a few dollars for the water.

I have had some cruises where they will check the case like luggage, put your tags on the case. So I told our group of newbies, yes take it . turned out they allowed everyone to carry the cases on no problem, but would not check them, so everyone carried the cases and it can be a big pain, everyone said they would not bother doing that again.

I agree with this response!

We've carried water and wine on before and thought it wasn't worth the trouble. If you carry it on, you have to pack it around with you until your room is ready! If you check it with luggage it's a pain for the baggage handlers since water is a lot more volatile than luggage.

I wish RCI had a deal like Carnival to buy a case online.

Tom

I have had some cruises where they will check the case like luggage, put your tags on the case. So I told our group of newbies, yes take it . turned out they allowed everyone to carry the cases on no problem, but would not check them, so everyone carried the cases and it can be a big pain, everyone said they would not bother doing that again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...

Going on the Gradeur this month to Canada/New England. Was going to put a case of water in a rolling backpack. Don't mind drinking water on board ship, really only want the water for when we go off ship on port excursions. Is this allowed? Not going to bother taking it if we can't get off at the ports with it

At Cruise Maryland in Baltimore, if the water is in some type of baggage they will check it.

In May on our Grandeur cruise we simply put a luggage tag on our case of water as we had done on Anthem, Freedom, Oasis, and Allure. However, the baggage handlers in Baltimore refused it. Pack it in a bag, and they will check it through.

Yes, you can take the water off and you can purchase a couple of big bottles of water (I've done this) in a port and carry those back on the Grandeur if you wish. I've done this before and worried that they wouldn't let me bring them on, but it wasn't an issue.

I emailed RCI and asked this very question and this was the response I got:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

We are excited you will be sailing with us on the Grandeur of the Sea departing on August 10, 2017! We hope you will have a wonderful time on your upcoming cruise vacation.

Regrettably, guests are not allowed their own water onboard except for the bottle they are consuming as they board the ship. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause. However, we do offer a Bottled Water Package. Guests may choose between 12 or 24 one liter sports cap Evian Natural Spring Water plastic bottles. The number of bottles will determine the package price. Current prices, including the 18% gratuity, may be viewed in the Cruise Planner buy visiting: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/cruiseEnhancements.do

Water bottle packages will be delivered to the guest’s stateroom. Any remaining water bottles may be taken at the end of the sailing.

We are happy to advise that guests have access to unlimited amounts of drinks with the Deluxe Beverage Package.

While you are planning your upcoming cruise vacation, be sure to also plan what amazing activities you would like to experience while at your ports of call. Don’t just see the world. Explore it! Our shore excursions can get you up close and personal with some of the most exciting destinations in the world. Experience new adventures, discover new places. Book your tours online at: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/cruiseEnhancements.do

or visit our Shore Excursion desk onboard for more information. Make this vacation one to remember.

Going on the Gradeur this month to Canada/New England. Was going to put a case of water in a rolling backpack. Don't mind drinking water on board ship, really only want the water for when we go off ship on port excursions. Is this allowed? Not going to bother taking it if we can't get off at the ports with it

While on excursion take several minutes(tell guide what you are doing) and pop in to a convenience store, drug store etc and buy a bottle of water. Also it will be cold. Not worth hauling water onto ship.

• 1 month later...

We thought this was going to be a big deal too on our last cruise too, but decided at the last minute that the case of water wasn't worth hauling around. The water on the ship ended up being just fine and we just refilled our gym type water bottles anytime we needed. We filled them with ice before we left on the excursions and were very pleased.

At Cruise Maryland in Baltimore, if the water is in some type of baggage they will check it.

In May on our Grandeur cruise we simply put a luggage tag on our case of water as we had done on Anthem, Freedom, Oasis, and Allure. However, the baggage handlers in Baltimore refused it. Pack it in a bag, and they will check it through.

This is what I have heard a number of times.

Must have handles.

They do, but they are STUPID expensive. $30 or $35 for 24 bottles of Evian.

Actually it's more like $35 for 12 bottles Evian but they are the bigger 1 liter size. At grocery store they are like $12 for 6, so on a cruise ship 12 for $35 isn't too high a mark u anything else they sell...

Sorry, it is $39 for 12. $69 for 24. Yes, they are 1 liter bottles.

But at the store, I can get 24 500 ml bottles for $3. I do not buy Evian, actually I don't like the taste of Evian.

So a $36 markup. Or 12x profit.

When I was talking to RCCI, I mentioned this. I would purchase at $15 for the convenience.

BTW, 12 pack of 1l bottles of Evian is a whopping $14 at Sam's Club:

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/evian-12-1-liter/prod14950186.ip

So only a $25 markup.

For all of you who feel that they must bring water on board. The cases of water is treated like luggage and someone's case of bottled water broke!

and I had wet clothes b/c it spilled on my canvas luggage. RC should stop allowing bottle water brought on by passenger's. The water on the ship is fine yrs of cruising and drinking ship water no problem.

Sorry, it is $39 for 12. $69 for 24. Yes, they are 1 liter bottles.

But at the store, I can get 24 500 ml bottles for $3. I do not buy Evian, actually I don't like the taste of Evian.

So a $36 markup. Or 12x profit.

When I was talking to RCCI, I mentioned this. I would purchase at $15 for the convenience.

BTW, 12 pack of 1l bottles of Evian is a whopping $14 at Sam's Club:

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/evian-12-1-liter/prod14950186.ip

So only a $25 markup.

Was quoting poster who said they paid $35. So $25 markup? was off by .33 cents a bottle. Still not that large markup as other items on board, less then 50%, on a cruise. Try Disney World see what their markup is. In the early 1980's I managed a full service Restaurant with a bar. Our we made 90% markup on Hard alcohol. Anyway have two choices, buy bottled water on board, or bring it on which is against rules though as most us cruisers know except for some Spring Break times is rarely enforced...

Edited by ONECRUISER

Throw 6 or 8 empty water bottles in your luggage and fill and reuse in the cabin.

I brought a case one time, big pain to haul it around.

Recently Carnival stopped allowing water to be brought on board. They had a real low price for a 12 pack, we bought it. We learned that we can refill them from the ship water and place them in the fridge. Always had cold water to take off the ship.

Royal is too expensive to buy it so I will just bring a few empties and fill them for my oasis cruise in a couple weeks.

Was quoting poster who said they paid $35. So $25 markup? was off by .33 cents a bottle. Still not that large markup as other items on board, less then 50%, on a cruise. Try Disney World see what their markup is. In the early 1980's I managed a full service Restaurant with a bar. Our we made 90% markup on Hard alcohol. Anyway have two choices, buy bottled water on board, or bring it on which is against rules though as most us cruisers know except for some Spring Break times is rarely enforced...

1) It is $25 markup on 12 bottles, so $2 per bottle.

2) Yes, things are marked up, but really??? And yes, the per drink price of alcohol at bars is amazing. Only 90% seems low. Which is why bottle service in clubs is so expensive, they charge at least the per drink price for the bottle.

3) While against the rules, RCCL openly does not enforce bringing water onboard. The only issue seems to be that at some ports (Baltimore being one) they will not accept bare cases, but if you put it in a bag with handles, they are fine.