Rhapsody vs Brilliance Transatlantic. Totally new to RCI, need comparisons

HI FELLOW CRUISERS....Please indulge me on this one:

My choice Nov 2017 from Barcelona are the Rhapsody or the Brilliance, both heading to Tampa, which I consider a low stress port.

I take TAs 2 times a year and so far my favorite ships have been the mid size HAL ships, like the Ryndam, and basically do not like the size of say the Eurodam or the Celebrity Silhouette.

Another breaker is that I HATE Fixed shower heads.

If this is coherent to you and you've RCI experience, can you give me some plus and minus pointers?

I UNDERSTAND, OF COURSE THAT EVERYONE HAS PERSONAL PREFERENCES and there is a 99% likelihood that I will enjoy either experience, but would still appreciate your guidance.

Thanks, Susan

The ships are similar in design. Rhapsody is the smaller ship, with no kiddie pool area. Both have covered, adult Solariums. Brilliance has outside Windjammer (buffet) seating, which is pleasant in nice weather, but may not be useable every day on a TA. You cannot go wrong with either.

We've sailed quite a few HAL ships and since you mention the Ryndam, you would more likely like the Rhapsody. It's a smaller ship and the crew is wonderful. As far as the shower head, you will need to go to at least a junior suite with a tub/shower to get the shower head the not fixed. All the other level of cabins have a shower stall and the shower head doesn't come off. (At least I think that to be true from past experience) I've sailed Brilliance also and there's nothing wrong with that ship either!

Both ships are excellent we just did the transatlantic on Rhapsody in May and had a fantastic time, crew was great and the food was very good. The shower head on all Royal Caribbean ships as far as I remember all come off in your hand so you can spray around your body.

Brilliance is also a fantastic ship a little newer but size wise not much different and the entertainment on both ships is good.

Enjoy win win situation

Brian J

I was having dinner and thinking about the showers in all cabins and I think Brian is right, they all have removable shower heads, no matter what cabin you're in. Hope you have a wonderful cruise Susan!

As far as the shower head, you will need to go to at least a junior suite with a tub/shower to get the shower head the not fixed. All the other level of cabins have a shower stall and the shower head doesn't come off. (At least I think that to be true from past experience) I've sailed Brilliance also and there's nothing wrong with that ship either!

Nah, they move up and down, swivel on two axises, and come free to be handheld. There's just not a lot of room in those transporter-tube showers.

I knew my fellow cruise critics would come through: you have saved me many times and I am sending a universal love wave to all of you for that!

Hugs, Susan

PS Decision not final but perhaps Brilliance..they are still selling OV and depart 4 days later.

I knew my fellow cruise critics would come through: you have saved me many times and I am sending a universal love wave to all of you for that!

Hugs, Susan

PS Decision not final but perhaps Brilliance..they are still selling OV and depart 4 days later.

I'm on Brilliance right now and it's wonderful! Yes, the shower head can move up and down and is a handheld that can be taken off. The shower is small, but aren't they all? We're in a small, inside cabin but it's been just fine. Plenty of room for storage and even a loveseat in the room. We also have a small fridge and a safe. The service has been second to none. Very impressed! You'll love it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I've not been on either of those ships, but I've been on Grandeur (Vision Class) and Jewel (Radiance class), which are the subject of debate.

If i were to compare the two, I found Jewel to be a better decorated ship. Radiance class would be seen as the "next class of ship" from the Vision class. I can't comment on service or entertainment as they switches constantly.

So, based on ship size and design, I would go with the newer Brilliance. A:, you have a slightly larger passenger base which you will need as you will have plenty of sea days and the ride is prettier (slightly). Plus, the Radiance class probably has a couple more bells than the Vision that would add to your long cruise.

I would choose Brilliance. We sailed on the Rhapsody to Alaska a few years ago. The vibration in the dining room was similar to sitting on a washing machine on the spin cycle. We have sailed Legend twice, the Independence, the Jewel, the Adventure, and the Enchanted of the Seas. The Rhapsody was the only ship I experienced this on...my friend sailed Splendor and felt the same vibration in their cabin!

We sail the Brilliance next year!

• 2 months later...
HI FELLOW CRUISERS....Please indulge me on this one:

My choice Nov 2017 from Barcelona are the Rhapsody or the Brilliance, both heading to Tampa, which I consider a low stress port.

I take TAs 2 times a year and so far my favorite ships have been the mid size HAL ships, like the Ryndam, and basically do not like the size of say the Eurodam or the Celebrity Silhouette.

Another breaker is that I HATE Fixed shower heads.

If this is coherent to you and you've RCI experience, can you give me some plus and minus pointers?

I UNDERSTAND, OF COURSE THAT EVERYONE HAS PERSONAL PREFERENCES and there is a 99% likelihood that I will enjoy either experience, but would still appreciate your guidance.

Thanks, Susan

Susan,

Looks like we may have been on the Island together in 2015. We too take TA about twice a year. Just booked the Rhapsody but I too had considered the Brilliance. Only made decision because of itinerary, our first RCL so first time to Canaries and Coco Cay.

Susan,

Looks like we may have been on the Island together in 2015. We too take TA about twice a year. Just booked the Rhapsody but I too had considered the Brilliance. Only made decision because of itinerary, our first RCL so first time to Canaries and Coco Cay.

Hi Marsha, I ended up booking the Prinsendam in Nov, but now I'm looking at a return from Tampa to the Med next Spring...I agree that Tampa is far preferable to any other Fl ports. The hotel gauging is scurrilous.