Coral vs Island vs Star, which is best?

FirstTimeCruiser0818

Hello! I'm planning a cruise to Alaska as a surprise for my husband's 30th birthday and am having a difficult time choosing between the three Princess ships. I originally wanted to book the Star but the representative I spoke to recommended the island. After researching that more I found the coral and am now thinking that may be a better option.

Things I know we want:

One way sail, northern seems preferred from reviews

July or August travel

Adult oriented - we are leaving our baby behind and would prefer a more relaxing atmosphere with some nightlife

Good food

Observation areas

They all seem to offer similar port stops so I'm not picky about those but am open to recommendations. I'd love to hear from others that have traveled on one or more of these ships recently (<1 year).

Thank you kindly for your honest input!

Coral or Star.

I would avoid the Island. The Island was a sister ship of the Coral when built. During the Island's last dry dock the Universe Lounge and mostly all aft public areas, were removed to add cabins for 200+ additional passengers. No additional dining room space was added. The Island does not have the International Cafe. I would not book the Island. The Coral and Star also have much better upper deck viewing areas.

I looked at both the Star and Coral for our upcoming cruise and the main differences I saw were: Star has the "shopping cart handle" back with Skywalkers lounge/night club (not on Coral), the Horizon Court buffet is aft on Star & forward on Coral, and the International Cafe looks smaller on Coral. Note that the Star is rumored to be going into dry dock this December, and get new beds, MUTS screen, carpet, etc. and maybe the new Coffee & Cones on the pool deck (basically espresso drinks available on Lido deck near the buffet vs. only down by the International Cafe).

Ultimately it came down to which week and which itinerary...for us that is the Northbound cruise in late June, which puts us on the Star. I'm sure both ships are great. Once you decide dates (and check fares too, they will vary) and route, that will probably determine which ship as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thoughts....

• choose a sailing that includes Glacier Bay for the better glacier experience
  • Done two August sailings.... next sailing will be July for statistically dryer weather
  • late July in Vancouver has fireworks competitions on Wednesday and Saturdays. Plan ahead as downtown hotels are high demand
  • Vancouver is worth staying a few days as a bonus port.
  • Star is getting the dry dock treatment in December this year.... will be relatively new for the 2018 Alaskan season.

the new Coffee & Cones on the pool deck (basically espresso drinks available on Lido deck near the buffet vs. only down by the International Cafe).

Sorry to be jumping on my hobby horse, but the continued repetition of the misnomer that premium and specialty coffees are available only at the International Cafe and nowhere else just hits a nerve.

If the Ice Cream stand is rebranded as Coffee and Cones, yes frozen coffee drinks will be added to the menu (for a fee). But cappuccinos, espressos and the like have always been available from the Calypso Bar--which is where the beverage servers in the HC will retrieve the ones ordered there which everyone has always been able to do as well. Plus of course from the MDRs and Specialty Restaurants. And I have definitely seen an espresso machine at one of the Deck 7 bars on most every Princess ship as well.

Back to the original question: for me the advantages of Star (Skywalker's, Crown Grill, three MDRs rather than two so a bit easier to get your choice of dinner arrangements) outweigh those of Coral (600 fewer passengers, forward HC, Universe Lounge being the best showroom in the fleet). And if you have never sailed either I would say grab a cruise on one of the first-generation Grand-class ships while they are still around.

Sorry to be jumping on my hobby horse, but the continued repetition of the misnomer that premium and specialty coffees are available only at the International Cafe and nowhere else just hits a nerve.

If the Ice Cream stand is rebranded as Coffee and Cones, yes frozen coffee drinks will be added to the menu (for a fee). But cappuccinos, espressos and the like have always been available from the Calypso Bar--which is where the beverage servers in the HC will retrieve the ones ordered there which everyone has always been able to do as well. Plus of course from the MDRs and Specialty Restaurants. And I have definitely seen an espresso machine at one of the Deck 7 bars on most every Princess ship as well.

Back to the original question: for me the advantages of Star (Skywalker's, Crown Grill, three MDRs rather than two so a bit easier to get your choice of dinner arrangements) outweigh those of Coral (600 fewer passengers, forward HC, Universe Lounge being the best showroom in the fleet). And if you have never sailed either I would say grab a cruise on one of the first-generation Grand-class ships while they are still around.

What is the grand class ship?

I've done both the Island and Coral (with Star coming up in November). I would definitely go with the Coral because the Island has almost no public place that you can view the wake. We booked the Sanctuary for one of our days just so we could get our wake fix. We love the size of these two ships but grand class ships are our favorites overall so my vote would be either Coral or Star.

As an early morning mocha fan, I am sure that I have only been able to get them at the coffee bar next to the IC. I have asked on all of our (Princess) cruises if one can be ordered in the MDR, Sabatini suite breakfast, etc. and have never been able to do so. Just the cappuccinos and lattes, which aren't the same thing. I mean the Starbucks type mocha drinks. So if they do open a Coffee & Cones on the Star I will be glad to have another place to get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I decided to change our booking to the Coral :D. I did confirm that the Star and Island will both be undergoing renovations while speaking to the rep so that made the decision a little more difficult. We'll be sailing out of Vancouver on 8/1:ship:<3:ship:

Any other tips for a first timer? I held off on booking the transportation and the drink package because I'm not certain we need them. I chose anytime dining because I like having flexibility but it seems like a set time with a set waiter may give better service?

Thanks for all your help!

Of the three ships mentioned I've only been on the Coral and the Star and as far as ships go, I would sail the Star, hands down. Much better ship and, to me, more to do. While we had a great time on the Coral The feel, and getting around, the Star was better. Also, as people who like our walks, the Star has better areas for walks. Basically, it is laid out better IMHO. Also, the specialty restaurants are better on the Star. Again, in my opinion. While you can't go wrong on either ship, I would consider the itineraries as a factor, as well.

Also, I don't know if you got your answer, The Princess "Grand Class" ships are only a category of their ships. The Grand class ships are the Grand, Golden (our first ship), and Star. Basically, they are sister ships. Skywalkers was removed on the Grand when they took the tube off the back.

I hope you have e great first cruise.

Here's a tip for you on transportation once you reach Vancouver. They have the SkyTrain that leaves the airport and goes right downtown about a block away from the pier. It's so convenient and so much cheaper than other modes. Of course, since it's your first cruise you will probably be bringing way too much luggage (we all did it) so it might be a little more of a hassle to lug big suitcases around town. It's certainly not an unfamiliar site to see people wheeling suitcases in downtown Vancouver.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Like Fishywood I lean towards the Star but it depends what you want from the ship. For example I have a passion for aft cabins/suites and the Coral, which I have sailed and loved, doesn't have those. It lacks a Crown Grill and the Bayou Cafe can't beat that in my opinion. It has a beautiful wide promenade deck but it doesn't go to the bow like the Star and in Alaska when entering a port that is where you will find me. That's your Leonardo di Caprio moment..

The "Dolphin beak" bow on the Star keeps you dry while the Coral forward decks shelter very few people and have to be accessed through a "secret" door. Anyone who has ever divulged the location of this door has mysteriously disappeared .

The Coral has a buffet at the front of the ship affording great views ahead (but through glass). The downside is that people will linger here taking up tables that diners might want. Star buffet aft has outdoor tables as well as ample indoor seating.

If the Star has Captain Tuvo then you are blessed. It also has an aft facing bar and the lofty Skywalkers birds-eye-view bar. It has more passengers for sure but is a bigger ship than the Coral.

The Island has been botched by Princess, no other word for it. The stern looks like it was attached by a couple of guys banging away in a shed while enjoying a bottle of whisky one weekend. Best not seen in daylight. When she backs into a berth the other ships pull their mooring lines and leave and I can't say I blame them.

That's my two cents.

Norris