Cats show on the Oasis of the Sea

lorijon

You would think a show that played on Broadway for over 30 years would be a wonderful show, you would be wrong. You go on a cruise to be happy, upbeat and entertained. You get none of that with Cats. the show is such a downer no plot we along with many many others left at intermission, Some people didn't even wait until then, The ice show was fun upbeat and filled with joy. Not just for kids. The show Come Fly With Me was the best production show I have seen on RC.

You would think a show that played on Broadway for over 30 years would be a wonderful show, you would be wrong. You go on a cruise to be happy, upbeat and entertained. You get none of that with Cats. the show is such a downer no plot we along with many many others left at intermission, Some people didn't even wait until then, The ice show was fun upbeat and filled with joy. Not just for kids. The show Come Fly With Me was the best production show I have seen on RC.

Welcome to posting on Cruise Critic..........It is well known on these boards that Cats is a skippable event.:')

We really enjoyed Cats, saw exactly what the OP stated though and lots walking out at the interval and not returning.

All those left at the end including us gave a standing ovation, people’s differing views on what constitutes entertainment I guess.

I think next time I will go at intermission and see the 2nd half. I felt bad leaving but my kids would not have made another hour. I did think the staging was really impressive given the setting. It is unfortunate they can't offer a "family" show in the afternoon on a sea day that is condensed and just hits the highlights.

Your loss.

There is a reason it ran for 30 years. It is a wonderful show!

There is a plot. Read up.

After intermission is much better

Your loss.

I agree completely, you really are rewarded with the second half when things start to fall into place and the singing is absolutely superb.

Your loss.

How is it anyone's loss? That is the thing about art. It doesn't matter if it is a painting, music, or a show. Some people will like it and some will not. I could like a song that you can't stand. That doesn't make it your loss. It just means we have different tastes.

We were on Oasis last week. Took our 11 year old granddaughter to Cats. My wife and I had seen it twice before in Los Angeles and San Diego. I love the show and thought that it was an excellent performance. There is, of course, a plot. The entire plot is explained in song at the beginning. But also read the T.S.Eliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats." It is exactly where the songs come from. It is long, 2.5 hours, like all the other Broadway Plays. But we really enjoyed it.

There is a reason it's mocked, constantly, on Cruise Critic. Sure, a few people like it, but a majority think it's simply awful and boring. With so many great shows from RCL, you wouldn't think they could quickly figure out what is popular and what is not...

The ice shows, aqua shows, etc. Come Fly With Me... all outstanding. Cats? Not so much. Though I didn't enjoy Grease on our sailing last week with Harmony. It was at least marginally more entertaining than freaking Cats.

We cruise Oasis, can not go to the show all booking full 3 months before sailing. :(

You just can't get a reservation, don't worry... we did not have ressies and had no problem getting a seat in one of the performances later in the cruise by just showing up.

We cruise Oasis, can not go to the show all booking full 3 months before sailing. :(

Check out your boarding day document. It should list a place on the Royal Promenade (it was On Air club for us) where they will help with show reservations on boarding day.

How is it anyone's loss? That is the thing about art. It doesn't matter if it is a painting, music, or a show. Some people will like it and some will not. I could like a song that you can't stand. That doesn't make it your loss. It just means we have different tastes.

They're loss because they walked out in the middle and declared they didn't like it. Don't review a show without seeing it all

They're loss because they walked out in the middle and declared they didn't like it. Don't review a show without seeing it all

Or it was their gain for salvaging an extra hour of happiness and joy. Cats was awful. I didn't even make it to intermission. I think 10 minutes... Maybe... And I couldn't be happier I didn't waste 2.5 hours. What a waste of such amazing talent, because the cast is awesome.

We are so glad that when we were on Oasis we saw Hairspray. No desire to see Cats as we saw it in Chicago and did not like it at all. We really enjoyed Grease on Harmony.The acting and singing were great. Now we are looking forward to seeing Mamma Mia on Allure next spring!

We're seen it--and lots of other shows on Broadway. Cats gets no praise from us. We went, hoping that we (or it) had changed: no such luck. It was what it was, and we were what we are. We left at intermission, but we can't be charged with not having seen it: we just haven't seen 100% of it on Royal Caribbean. We were glad to escape. (I've also taught Elliott's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats.")

We are among those who thought Cats on Oasis was wonderful! We had seen it on Broadway prior to sailing on Oasis, and saw it twice on Oasis!

One of the nice things about Oasis class ships is that they are big enough to have something for everyone. If you don't like Cats, you don't have to go.

I enjoyed the talent but the show is definitely not my cup of tea, and I love musicals!

Probably 75% of the audience left at intermission when we saw it. We stayed and yes the second act was better. But Regardless of how you feel personally about Cats, this many people leaving should be an indicator that this is not the best show for a ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've seen Cats on Broadway and loved it. Never saw it on the Oasis as I kept reading terrible reviews about people leaving half way through and no one in my family had an interest in seeing it. To each his own. My son and his girlfriend saw the aqua show and raved about it. My husband and I, and our teen daughters, saw it the following night and thought is was stupid. We all loved the ice show and saw it twice.

Saw it on the October 1st sailing. We along with I would say a good 75% left at intermission. We didn't like it at all. People say you should read up on the plot then you can enjoy it. Well I shouldn't have to read the Cliff Notes or whatever on the plot just so I can understand it and enjoy it. I have been to many movies and Broadway Plays over my lifetime that I was able to go and just enjoy without having to read about the plot first. I think a lot of people that went to see it on Broadway and elsewhere that paid good money were obligated to stay till the end. On a cruise there is no paid obligation so.....See Ya Later!