First cruise next month!

iamdorkrock

We are going on an eastern Caribbean cruise next month on the Glory for our honeymoon, and I have combed through this site rather extensively. I've read all the first time cruiser tips and hacks; I know everyone's opinion on over the door shoe hangers and door decorations, the right type of extension cord, and much like these boards, I STILL can't make up my mind if the Cheers package is worth our while or not. Trust me, I've been reading!:p

I have searched through the port of call boards but don't find them very active/helpful. So! with our recent itinerary changes we will now have 8-9 hours in each port, and I am looking for opinions on things to do! Originally I thought we'd just see where the wind took us, but with so much time in each port it seems I should have something resembling a plan in place. We aren't the type that need a full day planned out, and we (by "we" I really mean "a very persuasive me") are up for mostly anything (see: I talked my husband and his father into extreme zip-lining in Punta Cana a few years ago, and we are going parasailing in Miami before our cruise, which he swore he would never do). I also feel safe that with the amount of time we have, things don't necessarily HAVE to be booked through Carnival - we are open to reliable private options. What is your MUST do?

Half Moon Cay - doesn't seem like there's much here, thinking would just be a great beach day:tropical-drink:

Nassau - added in place of St. Thomas - very open to suggestions? finding very little online

Amber Cove - added in place of San Juan - maybe do the waterfalls? definitely open to other ideas

Grand Turk - is renting golf carts to drive around a thing? it seems a waste to spend the entire day just drinking at Margaritaville or Jack's ;)

Miami - we are spending a day and a half here before cruise day & a day after - thoughts on anything other than parasailing at South Beach?

I know there are answers/opinions on these ports all over the place, but I just wanted to see what everyone has to say. In return for asking something that's been asked a thousand times, I promise to write a nice long review when we get back (since I know how much we all love them). Thanks cruisers!

There are many excursion available when you get off the ship.

Only once in 10 cruises have we booked excursion through the cruiselines.

Cheers package : what makes it worth it for us is

1) No bill at end

2) No worries how much your spending

3) You can try new drinks Don't like it/ Don't feel compelled to finish it

4) if you can consume 7-8 mixed/fruity drinks/specialty drinks your ahead of the game. I start each day with Bailey's and coffee (2) Mimosas or bloody Mary's.

First cruise go with the flow, it won't be perfect, there are always hiccups when traveling.

Don't pay full price for jewelry there is wiggle room.

If you plan on buying jewelry -- don't buy it on the ship! We learned the hard way that they will tell Customs exactly what you bought and how much you paid. If you buy from Diamonds International or Colombian Emeralds in a port (both very reputable), Customs doesn't need to know you bought anything. And haggle with them, even in DI and CE, they will deal. Act like you are walking out and suddenly the price will go down. When you get close to a deal, ask for a drink -- they usually have beer in the back for just such an occasion. If it's a big enough purchase, they might have champagne.

Love Cheers! No bill at the end and drink all you want (up to 15 alcoholic drinks/day).

Nassau -- lots of walking and quite overpriced for.....just about everything.

I think whether we purchase the drink package now is going to come down to what we end up choosing to do in the ports! If we end up spending almost four full days off the ship, it may not be worth it honestly. I LOVE the idea of not having to face the bill at the end or even giving a second thought to getting a drink... and if my husband was more of a drinker (like me!) I wouldn't even be hesitating. I think it's just the thought of spending $1000 (with the exchange for us Canadians) up front for drinks - that sounds ridiculous when I say it out loud! hahah

So Nassau sounds like a bust?!

Al tho expensive you can opt to buy a bottle or 2 for your room. Bring tervis cup and carry on sodas or buy water and get individual drink powder as your mix or get a powdered drink mix else where. A couple of bottles would run you under 250. and then you could order a couple of specialty drinks and come out much cheaper. This would run you well under 1/2 price of Cheers but you could still drink. Personally with that many ports and the hours I could not make the drinks package worth it for me . But then again if you could drink at least 7 drinks on board it would even out. Good Luck on your decision and Have a GREAT CRUISE!

It's cheaper to get a couple of drinks off the ship on port days.

HMC - best beach day out there, in my opinion.

Grand Turk - getting a golf cart is definitely a thing. All the beaches on the island are public! Drive e and see the lighthouse and Cockburn Town, then head to Pillory beach, or English point, or governor's beach, and have a beach day without tons of cruise pax.

Nassau - we've done a self guided walking tour, then stopped at a restaurant and had adult beverages (several) and snacks. We've also gone to a local resort (the Sheraton) and gotten a day pass.

Amber Cove - haven't been yet, can't help there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

See my replies below in red

We are going on an eastern Caribbean cruise next month on the Glory for our honeymoon, and I have combed through this site rather extensively. I've read all the first time cruiser tips and hacks; I know everyone's opinion on over the door shoe hangers and door decorations, the right type of extension cord, and much like these boards, I STILL can't make up my mind if the Cheers package is worth our while or not. Trust me, I've been reading!:p

Cheers is what you make of it, if spending the day on the Lido drinking buckets of beer and getting self-service ice tea/lemonade is your general plan then Cheers might be worthless as most brews require you drink 8-11 bottles day to make it to the price of the package. Beer on board is fairly cheap ($4.95 -6.50USD) when compared to other alcoholic drinks, also buying it by the mix and match iced bucket saves you $2 off the total bill for each order. On the other hand those that enjoy the martinis ($8.95-12.95), frozen ($7.95), and classic cocktails ($8.95-10.75) find the program easily pays for itself after 4-7 drinks, less if you request premium label or top shelf liquor instead of the the house pours. The people that have the most quandary are the wine drinkers as the per glass price ranges from $6.50 (house wines) to $8.75 (mid-range labels) to $18-22 (reserve labels in specialty restaurants) depending on which vintage you want. So when thinking of the package try to think in terms of the overall cruise rather than a day by day accounting.

I have searched through the port of call boards but don't find them very active/helpful. So! with our recent itinerary changes we will now have 8-9 hours in each port, and I am looking for opinions on things to do! Originally I thought we'd just see where the wind took us, but with so much time in each port it seems I should have something resembling a plan in place. We aren't the type that need a full day planned out, and we (by "we" I really mean "a very persuasive me") are up for mostly anything (see: I talked my husband and his father into extreme zip-lining in Punta Cana a few years ago, and we are going parasailing in Miami before our cruise, which he swore he would never do). I also feel safe that with the amount of time we have, things don't necessarily HAVE to be booked through Carnival - we are open to reliable private options. What is your MUST do?

Half Moon Cay - doesn't seem like there's much here, thinking would just be a great beach day:tropical-drink:

Yes that is exactly what this island is for. It is privately leased by the parent company of the cruise line and basically and extension of being on board (except Cheers does not apply). The loungers are free, there is a cook-out provided, and some water sport rentals if you wish. Even most of the shops on the islands are run by the cruise line, but there is a small craft market run by locals from a near by island (no one but the animal caretakers live on HMC) that you can buy some hand made items from with cash. Also if you decide once on the island to do an excursion, if spots are left, you can buy them right at the excursion hut using your S&S card.

Nassau - added in place of St. Thomas - very open to suggestions? finding very little online

Most of the Bahamas, including New Providence Island, were not affected by the hurricanes so many ships have redirected cruises Nassau, a port that fits up to 7 docked mega ships at a time. Trust me there are plenty of tours offered between the cruise line, the attractions directly, and independantly companies. There are no less than 3 locations that offer some sort of marine mammal interactions, swims or dives, Atlantis, Blue Lagoon Island, and Balmoral resorts. And Atlanis if you book direct with them offers a snorkel or dive with their aquarium sharks. Additionally there are many independant tour operators some of which can be found hrough this website https://www.bahamas.com/explore-our-islands, others are staples like www.viator.com/Bahamas/shorex‎ and https://bahamascruiseexcursions.com/.

Amber Cove - added in place of San Juan - maybe do the waterfalls? definitely open to other ideas

This is the one port out of all that I would get a ship's sponsored excursion or research a independant tours that does not require advance deposit or payent. The reason that I say this is since Carnival Corp has started stopping here, there seems to be a high instance of this port being cancelled last minute due to adverse weather or flooding of the port area, it just makes getting the refund easier. Otherwise the port is leased by Carnival Corp and has a similar set-up as Grand Turk, free use of beach (and loungers) a decent shopping area mostly full of approved vendors, at least one bar, and a restuarant. But if you don't want to pay on the island for food or drink it's easy to return to the ship.

Grand Turk - is renting golf carts to drive around a thing? it seems a waste to spend the entire day just drinking at Margaritaville or Jack's ;)

I'm not sure that after being double whammied by 2 hurricanes in less than a month that I would want to tour the island by on my own using a golf cart (I might find it too depressing), but otherwise yes this is one of the popular things to do on Grand Turk. SO if this is our wish make sure your reserve your cart before getting on the ship. Again this stop is more of a beach day than a cultural or historical island to tour. They do have some sights to see like the Lighthouse and the architecture of some of the churches, or even a visit to some famous people's vacation home (viewing the outside only). The perennial attraction here is to dive or snorkel The Wall, an ocean drop off about 2 miles off the island where the sea floor goes from may 50 feet from the surface to over 7,000 feet below in one sheer cliff.

Miami - we are spending a day and a half here before cruise day & a day after - thoughts on anything other than parasailing at South Beach?

With it's proximity to the Florida Keys and the Everglades I would expand my search for things to do to these 2 areas as well.

I know there are answers/opinions on these ports all over the place, but I just wanted to see what everyone has to say. In return for asking something that's been asked a thousand times, I promise to write a nice long review when we get back (since I know how much we all love them). Thanks cruisers!

Edited by maryred
spelling

maryred & Anthomaniac - Thank you Thank you Thank you!

This is exactly what I was looking for! Some real life opinions and experiences, not a Carnival spreadsheet of available excursions. I guess my mentioning the cheers package was distracting, but really it's just something we'll decide on a few days before. I was really looking for port information, and I've got a MUCH better sense of each place now. Much appreciated :D

Will you have a car in Miami? If so, an airboat ride through the Everglades is a nice way to spend a few hours and not too expensive. Or, if you are in to shopping head for the Sawgrass Mills Mall. If you are staying on South Beach you can Uber or walk (depending on where your hotel is) to the Lincoln Road Mall. This is an area with lots of bars and restaurants and shops. It's a lovely way to spend an afternoon or evening.

Nassau: I've been here too many times to count. lol. If it is your first time, I suggest a self guided walking tour. Make sure to hit up Queen's Staircase and the overlook, then get something to eat downtown. I've also done the Pirate Museum (a lot kitchy, but fun) and the zoo (totally worth the walk). OR- this is a good place to snorkel.

Miami- The Gulfarium is really fun. If you like history, there is an old mansion (Vizcaya (sp?)) that is totally cool to look around. There are also tons of museums (art/history/etc) in and around Miami. Key West is too far for a single day (4hr trip one way). An everglades excursion would be interesting.

We have been to Grand Turk many times. They do have a nice beach by the port but I would recommend spending a few hours seeing the Island. We walked over to the parking area where there are vans there and you can negotiate with a driver/guide to take you around the island. I would recommend that.

Keith

I was hesitant to make this post, afraid people would say this is all information that I can find other places. But I am SOOO glad I did! :)

One question I'm hoping someone can answer about Miami - I just realized a few weeks ago that we are actually flying down on American Thanksgiving, and our full day there will be "Black Friday".... will this impact anything while we're there? Will most things be closed?

On Thanksgiving Day many places will be closed but that is fine. If you have time it's fun to walk around and many restaurants will be open.

Downtown Miami will not be so busy because many people will be off but some areas will have people out and about.

It's all good and that Friday everything will be open.

Keith

I was hesitant to make this post, afraid people would say this is all information that I can find other places. But I am SOOO glad I did! :)

One question I'm hoping someone can answer about Miami - I just realized a few weeks ago that we are actually flying down on American Thanksgiving, and our full day there will be "Black Friday".... will this impact anything while we're there? Will most things be closed?

HMC and GT are two of my favorite places. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

We are staying downtown on Black Friday as well, its not a huge shopping hub, so I doubt it will impact us much. The CVS and Walgreens should be open.

I think we might be on the same sailing... Glory, November 25?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We did the Everglades air boat tour on both of our Miami port cruises. Thoroughly enjoyed that and highly recommend it!

When considering Cheers, remember that it is NOT ONLY alcohol! I liked 1) grabbing bottle water whenever I felt like it 2) not scolding the hubby for drinking too many sodas 3) not worrying that I hadn't finished a drink I didn't like or had gotten too warm 4) pre-paying by buying it ahead of time when it was cheaper per day PLUS using a gift card so I really did pay the advertised amount and 5) not being surprised by our bar tab at the end of the cruise - like I was on our first one!

I have to recommend Atlantis, it's pricey but well worth it!

[YOUTUBE]I7x0y3jArVo[/YOUTUBE]

The free beach is pretty awesome, just bring $5 to rent a floatie...assuming that hasn't changed due to the hurricane(s)...

[YOUTUBE]6K-9NeyJDp8[/YOUTUBE]

The Cheers package is the best value on the ship. Even if you're only a moderate drinker, it's worth it.

HMC is GORGEOUS. Carnival offers a bike and hike tour that will literally take your breath away.

In Nassau, we booked independently at Blue Lagoon Island. Absolutely stunning and one of our favorite excursions ever.

Grand Turk is hot AF, but absolutely beautiful.

In Miami, we did a food tour (easily Googled), and it was so much fun. Also offered a good tour/history of South Beach.

Have a wonderful cruise!

YES Anthomaniac - Glory November 25th! I totally expect to be converted from an all-inclusive resort person to a cruise fanatic after this! :D

Thank you again everybody for your help - I got JUST what I was looking for! Since I'm basically acting as the planner for 4 first timers, I feel confident now in port options for all of us! 33 days to go!!

We normally spend a few days in Miami prior to our cruises, then Key West afterward, This year we stayed in an AirBnB in South Beach a block from Lincoln Road Mall. It was nice to walk up to there each night to grab dinner. We also really enjoyed the Miami Seaquarium and the Miami Zoo. Those were great places for us. It was fun to drive around Star Island and see the rich & famous houses. We also did the Miami Duck Tour which was fun.

Grand Turk we always get a golf cart and spend the day on the island, ending at Jack's with some beach time.

HMC is definitely a beach day, if you can and they're not sold out, I highly recommend a cabana.

Nassau we went to once and hated it. We try to avoid any cruises going to Nassau or Freeport. I guess if I had to go back I'd spend the day at the British Hilton as a beach day.

We normally spend a few days in Miami prior to our cruises, then Key West afterward, This year we stayed in an AirBnB in South Beach a block from Lincoln Road Mall. It was nice to walk up to there each night to grab dinner. We also really enjoyed the Miami Seaquarium and the Miami Zoo. Those were great places for us. It was fun to drive around Star Island and see the rich & famous houses. We also did the Miami Duck Tour which was fun.

Grand Turk we always get a golf cart and spend the day on the island, ending at Jack's with some beach time.

HMC is definitely a beach day, if you can and they're not sold out, I highly recommend a cabana.

Nassau we went to once and hated it. We try to avoid any cruises going to Nassau or Freeport. I guess if I had to go back I'd spend the day at the British Hilton as a beach day.

I LOVE hearing that you booked an AirBnB! That's the route we went for the two nights we're there prior to the cruise, and my husband thought I was NUTS for even considering it in Miami. I only managed to convince him because it's a condo!

Where/who did you book your golf cart through for Grand Turk?

Have a great cruise! I’m in the process of writing a review right now on the Glory from last week. We were supposed to do an Eastern, but got switched to a Western. Let me know if you have any questions about the ship. This was my 9th time on her [emoji846].

I loveeee reviews so I can't wait to read it! It helps me pass time at my job and keeps me excited for our trip!! Do you have any tips for the Glory? Secret places, things we probably wouldn't find on our own? I am open to all the info I can get :p

I loveeee reviews so I can't wait to read it! It helps me pass time at my job and keeps me excited for our trip!! Do you have any tips for the Glory? Secret places, things we probably wouldn't find on our own? I am open to all the info I can get :p

Here’s the start of it.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2556511

YES Anthomaniac - Glory November 25th! I totally expect to be converted from an all-inclusive resort person to a cruise fanatic after this! :D

Thank you again everybody for your help - I got JUST what I was looking for! Since I'm basically acting as the planner for 4 first timers, I feel confident now in port options for all of us! 33 days to go!!

Come join our roll call if you haven't already! You might also check out for a roll call on that social media site that shall not be named.

:)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk