Southern Caribbean Accessibilty

Mikeyto

Finding accessible tours can be a challenge plus if you do find some, prices are outrageous. We would wander around on our own. It is been too many years for me to remember much about the ports. First of all, we use mobility scooters, thus I am not familiar with wheelchairs. Regardless, I believe Martinique, Curacao and Bonaire are fairly level in the port towns.

Last year, in Bonaire, we were planning on taking a taxi to the Donkey Sanctuary and scoot back to the ship (approximately 4 ¾ miles). The contact at the Sanctuary advised there were taxis that could accommodate us. Due to a mishap in Grenada, I did not get to Bonaire.

Grenada definitely has a nasty hill, plus there is a very fine gravel or sand on top of the pavement... please do not attempt to travel on it in your wheelchair. Mobility devices do not make good sleds. If you want to go to the Fort or the Cathedral, find transportation both to and from. However, if you want to stay at sea level, it is fairly doable. Many years ago we scooted from the ship to the bay east of the terminal through the tunnel. We were told to stay all the way on the side of the tunnel... it is not very wide. I'd guess this route to be less than ¼ mile.

Oh, last year's cruise was a rather expensive trip for my travel insurance... just a broken hip and collar bone plus abrasions all the way from my toes to my head. Regardless, I was back on the ship three months later. Do not ever leave home without your travel insurance!

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty