BB Kings

Niagarawine

hi I am very excited about this venue on Eurodam. Do they take requests? Thinking Sam and Dave and Stax Volt revue , as per my age lol

If you plan to go there, take ear plugs AND noise cancelling headphones and plan to listen to the music outside of the venue and even then the sound level will be too high to be enjoyable.

DON

That's too bad. I don't know why they equate good music with noise, all seem to have amps that really are too loud. We live 2 blocks from a football stadium in Canada and since they built the new stadium and sound system it is awful. Our home shakes when the announcer is talking .

That's too bad. I don't know why they equate good music with noise, all seem to have amps that really are too loud. We live 2 blocks from a football stadium in Canada and since they built the new stadium and sound system it is awful. Our home shakes when the announcer is talking .

Don’t get disheartened we love the BBKing venue. They do a variety as mentioned and we find them quite good and to us the noise is acceptable, enjoy the show! The group members hail from the Memphis area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi I am very excited about this venue on Eurodam. Do they take requests? Thinking Sam and Dave and Stax Volt revue , as per my age lol

We really enjoy the BB King's bands; they are invariably very talented musicians who play well together, and we've never found them too loud. But as with everything musical, it all depends on one's tastes.

They typically have three pre-determined sets, the order of which gets rotated on different nights. I've never seen them take requests from the floor. As Stpatsirish said, more Motown and R&B than Blues. Mainly standards, I would say 60's and 70's, but it can really vary from band to band and cruise to cruise. Re: Stax/Volt, I have heard "Soul Man" performed, and "Green Onions" more than once.

I enjoyed them also, a real breath of fresh air for the HAL lineup. I'm sure that some folks find them loud, but then there are also some like myself that can't wait to hear the new woofers. To each their own, hope you enjoy them as much as we did. Be sure to wear your dancing shoes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have experienced 5 different BBK bands and they all have different sets. If you are thinking of Stax/Volt review then we remember these tracks being perfomed (but by different bands!)

Hold on, I'm coming; Soul Man; Soothe me; Dock of the Bay; FaFaFaFa; Respect; Try a little Tenderness; Can't turn you loose; My Girl; Hard to Handle; Knock on Wood; Mustang Sally, Midnight Hour, Green Onions; Time is Tight............(we are still thinking!)

As I said, not one set nor one band. It really depends on the band's strengths and the vocalist's style.

50 years on!

We've seen the same BB Kings band on two different ships and they did one night of all requests towards the end of each of the cruises. We love the BB Kings and listen to at least one set each night they're playing. And if anyone knows where Carlos and Ashley are playing, I'd love to know. I'm hoping to hear them again on the Eurodam in January.

We enjoyed the BB KIngs very much on our recent Oosterdam cruise. I was relieved through the first 3 songs that the volume wasn't as bad as I feared and I enjoyed it. Then , I don't know if it got louder, or I just reached my tolerance level, but I had to leave because it made me feel ill. My friend stayed and continued to enjoy it while I waited out in the hall.

Too bad they couldn't just turn down the volume a bit so I could enjoy it on future trips. They were extremely talented!

Just coming from a recording engineer/guitarist's point of view, the essential blues sound is a Strat or 335 through a Fender Twin or Deluxe Reverb, and those amps need to be cranked fairly high to get that nice blues guitar sound. Wouldn't surprise me for a blues act to be loud; most blues bands are. SRV was exceptionally loud, as was Buddy Guy and B.B. King.

Although they call it Blues they also do Motown and disco. A lot of 70’s and 80’s.

I would say MOSTLY Motown and Disco, and very little classic Blues. I love Blues, and heard none at BB's during our recent Oosterdam sailing. :(

The band typically operates off a set list that they've rehearsed and the music has to be licensed. Off the top of my head, I am pretty sure we have heard:

I Thank You, Soothe Me, Soul Man, Wrap It Up, Hold On - I'm Coming, and Gimme Some Loving from the Sam & Dave catalog. (Clearly, we spent a bit of time catching the BB King shows.)

I've only ever made one request, "Green Onions," but they did play it. Our band was from the Memphis BB King club and that's one of their bumper songs.

If you want something specific, try to find some of the band members after the show and buy them some drinks. It works exactly like it would in the real world. (Except that there are fewer people buying drinks for the band, and the band is pretty easy to spot in the crowd on a HAL ship.)

I wonder why they call this venue “BB Kings Blues Club”? they play only popular music that everyone knows.. Motown.. R&B and soul. I requested a blues song.. the answer was “we don’t play blues”! A name change on this venue is needed to “You have heard these songs at least 150 times or more... come to the non blues sing-a-long”.

I totally agree with Blues Player. We have just finished a 27 day Vancouver to Sydney on the Noordam, and were very disappointed with the "BBKings Blues Club. No Blues played. Only Motown R and B and Soul. Very disappointing. We tried every different time slot, on many different nights, thinking that maybe the last one might be the Blues set. But to no avail. To give them credit, the musicians were very talented and the vocalists excellent, but they just didn't live up to the name of the venue. Not even any BB King to be heard.

We've seen the same BB Kings band on two different ships and they did one night of all requests towards the end of each of the cruises. We love the BB Kings and listen to at least one set each night they're playing. And if anyone knows where Carlos and Ashley are playing, I'd love to know. I'm hoping to hear them again on the Eurodam in January.

We have listened to numerous BB King groups and think that Carlos & Ashley are among the best. They are currently on board Eurodam but I believe their contract is over in November some time. I doubt they will still be on board in January but one never knows...