Use caution in Buenos Aires

wesport

I did read your review and as compared to others yours was not as concerning. Others talking about the squirt game like they used to do in NY ( ketchup mustard gang) were more concerning as they spoke about not wearing ANY jewelry.

My college educated daughter, in her infinite wisdom leaves her diamond ring at home when on vacation then wears a fake diamond equally in size. No doubt will fool the thieves.

Aren't the majority of people University or College educated these days ??

If the 'fakes' fool the thieves, your daughter might end up losing her finger, just as easily as if she wore the real thing!!

I would be more worried about having a break in, while my home was unoccupied. A bank security box might help.

Do you remove wedding bands and small earrings for pierced ears?

My wife does and we don't wear rings in this city.

And we wear a low cost watch.

My wife's in laws lived there for many years and it is a wonderful city but they would tell people to be cautious and not flashy when it comes to jewelry and money.

Keith

Aren't the majority of people University or College educated these days ??

If the 'fakes' fool the thieves, your daughter might end up losing her finger, just as easily as if she wore the real thing!!

I would be more worried about having a break in, while my home was unoccupied. A bank security box might help.

According to a recent study only 34% of Americans hold at least a bachelor degree

Do you always put people down?

I have found much useful information on these boards and like to give information back when I have something to offer.

It is not my intention to 'put people down'.

Sometimes things sound different in black and white, from how they would sound verbally.

One person who lived in Buenos Aires said it was worse than some other large cities. One lady had her bag stolen from next to her and another had a necklace ripped from her neck. Our tour guide told us to put everything under the bus at the start because they wouldn’t open it and show anyone that they had things there. In La Boca we were only allowed to walk on 2 block area. Just quoting what we were told

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife does and we don't wear rings in this city.

And we wear a low cost watch.

My wife's in laws lived there for many years and it is a wonderful city but they would tell people to be cautious and not flashy when it comes to jewelry and money.

Keith

We travel with our inexpensive travel watches from Wal-Mart. I leave my engagement ring and most of my jewellery in the safety deposit box at our bank back home. This time I will also leave my diamond wedding ring.

In Barcelona 18 months ago, I was terrified to walk around town at first after hearing about pick pockets and other scams to get our money. I noticed even the locals walked with their hands deep in their pockets as they strolled along. In the end Barcelona was such a beautiful city and we managed to really enjoy our two days there.

This trip, we hope to take a city tour during the day and a dinner and tango show at night both as Princess Tours. We are lucky we are there overnight.

We really want to enjoy Buenos Aries as much as we enjoyed Barcelona.

What is the safest area for a hotel where you can walk to restaurant/tango show at night?

dog:)

Taxis are cheap if you stick to the metered ones. I would not bother walking. Your hotel will call one and there will probably be lots around outside after the show.

We were in Buenos Aires the beginning of the month. I didn’t go out much without a tour so I don’t know first hand about safety although I saw many homeless on the streets. But I heard bad stories from others who were crime victims. I have been a crime victim every time I was in Rome and I wouldn’t go back. I spent a day in Barcelona and was okay there but my friend had money stolen from her there. We tried to only carry as little as possible, stay in known safe areas, not go out after dark and keep an eye on our surroundings. I do this in many large cities

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our cruise ends with an overnight on board in Buenos Aires, so I'm wondering if Princess will offer excursions there. They're not listed yet for Buenos Aires.

On my Zaandam cruise, we also had an overnight in Buenos Aires and tours were offered for Day 1 as well as for Day 2 as part of the transfer to the airport program. I would be surprised that Princess would not also offer the same.

On my Zaandam cruise, we also had an overnight in Buenos Aires and tours were offered for Day 1 as well as for Day 2 as part of the transfer to the airport program. I would be surprised that Princess would not also offer the same.

I'm hoping this is the case. They have all other port excursions listed except for Buenos Aires.

Theseforums are wonderful for giving insights and I treasure all the information onthem. However, I am always distressed tohear of travelers who are so afraid of places that they stay confined to their hotelsand do not want to venture out to meet the people of the city/country they arevisiting! Yes, you need to be aware. But we need to be aware everywhere—even inyour hometown! When we travel to new places, we learn about other people and theirway of life. That is what is important! We need to know that all humanity isvaluable, regardless of the way we live, what we look like or what we believe.Our world becomes smaller when we travel and hopefully, we become more enrichedand enlightened and more tolerant. Be smart but go out and explore!