Captain Bill's World Cruise Continued....

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:35 AM.
Georgia
3,616 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Let me chime in here. A belated bon voyage to Sally since you must be sailing in Mexico by now. Have fun on the ship! Also bon voyage to Clive and Eileen on your South America cruise. You'll have a great time!

Yvonne, I am shocked at how much your NZ cruise was changed. That must have been some crazy weather! It would have been really inconvenient to arrive back in Sydney 3 hours late when we were there. The weather during our cruises in October, November and early December was so good it was spooky. We only missed Bay of Islands due to swells.

We returned yesterday from our week in the Caribbean on the Veendam. It was a good time, but a very relaxing cruise. In St. Thomas we walked from Havensight to downtown Charlotte Amalie, so that was our exercise for the week. In San Juan we took a short tour from the pier, and in Turks and Caicos we just walked around a bit. Oh, I forgot to mention that HAL substituted St. Thomas for Tortola shortly before sailing. Apparently Tortola isn't ready for tourists quite yet.

Next month we are scheduled to be back in San Juan and Tortola again so let's see if we get bumped again out of Tortola.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandi (no longer from St. Louis!)










Came from the land above to the Land Downunder
6,615 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by StLouisCruisers
Let me chime in here. A belated bon voyage to Sally since you must be sailing in Mexico by now. Have fun on the ship! Also bon voyage to Clive and Eileen on your South America cruise. You'll have a great time!

Yvonne, I am shocked at how much your NZ cruise was changed. That must have been some crazy weather! It would have been really inconvenient to arrive back in Sydney 3 hours late when we were there. The weather during our cruises in October, November and early December was so good it was spooky. We only missed Bay of Islands due to swells.

We returned yesterday from our week in the Caribbean on the Veendam. It was a good time, but a very relaxing cruise. In St. Thomas we walked from Havensight to downtown Charlotte Amalie, so that was our exercise for the week. In San Juan we took a short tour from the pier, and in Turks and Caicos we just walked around a bit. Oh, I forgot to mention that HAL substituted St. Thomas for Tortola shortly before sailing. Apparently Tortola isn't ready for tourists quite yet.

Next month we are scheduled to be back in San Juan and Tortola again so let's see if we get bumped again out of Tortola.

None of the shortened days was due to weather which was perfect for the whole trip. The days' new times were given to us in our cabins on embarkation day so obviously something they knew was changing things for the worse. People have said it may be because we were AT THE START being A day late using ports which we had not booked and they may have to have made changes but after Auckland when we were back to normal dates they still had very short days. Perhaps the ship was doing some maintenance as we travelled and this meant we were travelling slower than normal but who knows?


Bon voyage everyone who will be travelling soon I am starting to sort out clothes for India and UK as we have got our Indian visas (only took 72 hours) and still favouring the right hand so slower going
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


yafm11 at tpg.com.au

Airtours: Sundream 4; Sunbird 1; MV Isabella Nile cruise; Thompsons 1; P&O UK 3; MV Victoria Yangtze cruise; P&O Australia 7; MV Royal Star Kenya; RCI Legend/Seas 2; Rhapsody/Seas 2; Voyager/Seas 2; Celebrity Infinity 1; MV Murray Princess river cruise; HAL Oosterdam 1; Carnival Legend 2; Carnival Spirit 1; Princess cruises Sun Princess 8; Dawn Princess 3; Diamond Princess 3; Grand Princess 3; Island Princess 2; Old Royal Princess 2; Sea Princess 2; Emerald Princess 4; Golden Princess 1,
Georgia
3,616 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
My upcoming stop in Tortola on the Prinsendam Grand Med and Africa Voyage has been replaced with Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI so I'm going to have to wait to see Tortola. But St. John is beautiful so not a problem.

I was able to finally update my cruise profile (seen in my signature). It's been off-line since I returned from my Caribbean cruise. Cruise-Ships.com seems to have a lot of problems staying on-line! We added a cruise in Nov. 2019 to the Amazon on the Prinsendam. Let's see if we actually make it this time. We've booked it two other times and had to cancel, once so our daughter and son-in-law could go on a cruise and the second time to go to Antarctica.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandi (no longer from St. Louis!)










Came from the land above to the Land Downunder
6,615 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by StLouisCruisers
My upcoming stop in Tortola on the Prinsendam Grand Med and Africa Voyage has been replaced with Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI so I'm going to have to wait to see Tortola. But St. John is beautiful so not a problem.

I was able to finally update my cruise profile (seen in my signature). It's been off-line since I returned from my Caribbean cruise. Cruise-Ships.com seems to have a lot of problems staying on-line! We added a cruise in Nov. 2019 to the Amazon on the Prinsendam. Let's see if we actually make it this time. We've booked it two other times and had to cancel, once so our daughter and son-in-law could go on a cruise and the second time to go to Antarctica.

How lovely to be able to cancel cruises before payment without loss We down here lose all deposits paid if we cancel If we have insurance and there is a valid acceptable by them reason we may get 50% back. This must be why some cruises show as sold out and then magically at final payment time there are loads of empty cabins
Hope you get to the Amazon this time It was a fantastic cruise when we did it on the old Royal Princess
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


yafm11 at tpg.com.au

Airtours: Sundream 4; Sunbird 1; MV Isabella Nile cruise; Thompsons 1; P&O UK 3; MV Victoria Yangtze cruise; P&O Australia 7; MV Royal Star Kenya; RCI Legend/Seas 2; Rhapsody/Seas 2; Voyager/Seas 2; Celebrity Infinity 1; MV Murray Princess river cruise; HAL Oosterdam 1; Carnival Legend 2; Carnival Spirit 1; Princess cruises Sun Princess 8; Dawn Princess 3; Diamond Princess 3; Grand Princess 3; Island Princess 2; Old Royal Princess 2; Sea Princess 2; Emerald Princess 4; Golden Princess 1,
Georgia
3,616 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by windsor26
How lovely to be able to cancel cruises before payment without loss We down here lose all deposits paid if we cancel If we have insurance and there is a valid acceptable by them reason we may get 50% back. This must be why some cruises show as sold out and then magically at final payment time there are loads of empty cabins
Hope you get to the Amazon this time It was a fantastic cruise when we did it on the old Royal Princess

I know that you and the UK residents all say the same thing, you all lose your deposit if you cancel. I really wish the cruise lines wouldn't discriminate like that! It would make a big difference in how we book cruises if they started that policy with us. We would probably end up cruising a LOT less.

While I still have my Brazil visa in effect and having just had our yellow fever shots, this would be a good time to take this cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandi (no longer from St. Louis!)










Georgia
3,616 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
I read sad news yesterday on Cruise Critic. Very sad news. The Captain on the Seabourn Quest's final Antarctica cruise this season, Bjarne Larsen died Saturday after leaving Antarctica. He was our Ice Captain on our Antarctica cruise while Captain Dag Dvergastein was the master of the vessel. This season Captain Larsen was the sole captain of the Quest. Passengers on the ship reported on Cruise Critic that they had a "Bright Star" announcement with a cabin number on deck 9, but they said there was no passenger cabin with that number. Everyone was on edge. Finally, I believe it was the next morning the announcement was made that their Captain had passed away. Imagine how they all felt? The entire crew and the passengers were just devastated. I cried just reading of it.

The ship went on to Stanley in the Falklands. Here is what one passenger reported yesterday:

Respectfully I observed Captain Larsen's final departure from Quest today at approximately 11:30 am. Tendor#1 had a tarp attached to its roof with a large heart and words of love for Captain Larsen. A number of personnel joined Captain Larsen on the tender and as it pulled slowly away the ship's horn gave 3 long, mournful blasts. Then the most beautiful song was played in all of the public areas as the tender slowly sailed to shore. Jan had made an announcement about what was going to happen and the outside deck was packed with crew and passengers as we said a sad farewell to a special man. It was a very beautiful and heartbreaking experience.


This morning I found this article about Captain Larsen from 3 years ago. He was an amazing man and will be sadly missed.


https://www.avidcruiser.com/2014/12/seabourn-queso-puerto-madryn/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandi (no longer from St. Louis!)










Gold Coast
11,006 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by StLouisCruisers
I read sad news yesterday on Cruise Critic. Very sad news. The Captain on the Seabourn Quest's final Antarctica cruise this season, Bjarne Larsen died Saturday after leaving Antarctica. He was our Ice Captain on our Antarctica cruise while Captain Dag Dvergastein was the master of the vessel. This season Captain Larsen was the sole captain of the Quest. Passengers on the ship reported on Cruise Critic that they had a "Bright Star" announcement with a cabin number on deck 9, but they said there was no passenger cabin with that number. Everyone was on edge. Finally, I believe it was the next morning the announcement was made that their Captain had passed away. Imagine how they all felt? The entire crew and the passengers were just devastated. I cried just reading of it.
The ship went on to Stanley in the Falklands. Here is what one passenger reported yesterday:
Respectfully I observed Captain Larsen's final departure from Quest today at approximately 11:30 am. Tendor#1 had a tarp attached to its roof with a large heart and words of love for Captain Larsen. A number of personnel joined Captain Larsen on the tender and as it pulled slowly away the ship's horn gave 3 long, mournful blasts. Then the most beautiful song was played in all of the public areas as the tender slowly sailed to shore. Jan had made an announcement about what was going to happen and the outside deck was packed with crew and passengers as we said a sad farewell to a special man. It was a very beautiful and heartbreaking experience.
This morning I found this article about Captain Larsen from 3 years ago. He was an amazing man and will be sadly missed.
https://www.avidcruiser.com/2014/12/seabourn-queso-puerto-madryn/
That is sad news indeed. How old was he? What a fitting farewell for a ship's captain at sea after Antarctica cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland to Halifax, Canada (Booked)
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Halifax, Canada to Miami, Florida (Booked)
Azamara - Journey - 2017 - Singapore to Hong Kong
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Georgia
3,616 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by MMDown Under
That is sad news indeed. How old was he? What a fitting farewell for a ship's captain at sea after Antarctica cruise.
I believe he was less than 50 years old. An article written 3 1/2 years ago said he was 45. It must have been something devastating, like a heart attack, stroke, aneurysm.

This guy was truly loved by his crew and even his passengers. He was Danish so I'm betting he was flown back home from the Falklands. His poor family must be taking it hard.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandi (no longer from St. Louis!)










Georgia
3,616 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Hello all,

We are leaving in the morning for Ft. Lauderdale, and begin our Grand Voyage on Prinsendam March 12. I won't be back on here for nearly two months since we don't get back home until May 5. There is a lot going on the week after we return so I will try to allocate my time to include Cruise Critic. I hope all who are traveling enjoy their time away, as I'm sure we will.

Marion, I hope you won't miss me too much. Someone else will have to chat with you!

XOXO
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandi (no longer from St. Louis!)










Came from the land above to the Land Downunder
6,615 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by StLouisCruisers
Hello all,

We are leaving in the morning for Ft. Lauderdale, and begin our Grand Voyage on Prinsendam March 12. I won't be back on here for nearly two months since we don't get back home until May 5. There is a lot going on the week after we return so I will try to allocate my time to include Cruise Critic. I hope all who are traveling enjoy their time away, as I'm sure we will.

Marion, I hope you won't miss me too much. Someone else will have to chat with you!

XOXO
Bon voyage and safe calm seas for you
We are off next week to Cochin India for 14 days and then to the family visits in England Scotland so will keep an eye on CC while we are travelling
Sad that so many of the enthusiastic chats we had at the start of this cruise are missing but that is life
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


yafm11 at tpg.com.au

Airtours: Sundream 4; Sunbird 1; MV Isabella Nile cruise; Thompsons 1; P&O UK 3; MV Victoria Yangtze cruise; P&O Australia 7; MV Royal Star Kenya; RCI Legend/Seas 2; Rhapsody/Seas 2; Voyager/Seas 2; Celebrity Infinity 1; MV Murray Princess river cruise; HAL Oosterdam 1; Carnival Legend 2; Carnival Spirit 1; Princess cruises Sun Princess 8; Dawn Princess 3; Diamond Princess 3; Grand Princess 3; Island Princess 2; Old Royal Princess 2; Sea Princess 2; Emerald Princess 4; Golden Princess 1,
Gold Coast
11,006 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by StLouisCruisers
Hello all,

We are leaving in the morning for Ft. Lauderdale, and begin our Grand Voyage on Prinsendam March 12. I won't be back on here for nearly two months since we don't get back home until May 5. There is a lot going on the week after we return so I will try to allocate my time to include Cruise Critic. I hope all who are traveling enjoy their time away, as I'm sure we will.
Marion, I hope you won't miss me too much. Someone else will have to chat with you!
XOXO
Bon Voyage, Sandi. WOW Two months - enjoy. Will this be a record financial year for number of days cruising for you?

Life has been busy. I have been away visiting Melbourne (Australian Tennis Open), Sydney (Australia Day with my daughters), then Franklin and Hobart in Tasmania. Next Easter, followed by the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland to Halifax, Canada (Booked)
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Halifax, Canada to Miami, Florida (Booked)
Azamara - Journey - 2017 - Singapore to Hong Kong
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Gold Coast
11,006 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by windsor26
Bon voyage and safe calm seas for you
We are off next week to Cochin India for 14 days and then to the family visits in England Scotland so will keep an eye on CC while we are travelling
Sad that so many of the enthusiastic chats we had at the start of this cruise are missing but that is life
You are such an adventurous traveller - enjoy your fortnight in Cochin, India, followed by family visits to UK.

July is looking good for me visiting UK.

Yes I often wonder if they are still enjoying cruising/travelling. I am glad we got to meet in Sydney, with Eileen and Sandi.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland to Halifax, Canada (Booked)
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Halifax, Canada to Miami, Florida (Booked)
Azamara - Journey - 2017 - Singapore to Hong Kong
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
9,661 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Bon Voyage, Sandi! I just took a look at the Prinsendam's itinerary: fantastic. Dakar, the Canaries, Sorrento, Malaga . . . all roundtrip out of Ft. Lauderdale. If only I had 54 days vacation -- and a winning lottery ticket!

Came from the land above to the Land Downunder
6,615 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by MMDown Under
You are such an adventurous traveller - enjoy your fortnight in Cochin, India, followed by family visits to UK.

July is looking good for me visiting UK.

Yes I often wonder if they are still enjoying cruising/travelling. I am glad we got to meet in Sydney, with Eileen and Sandi.
Thanks Yes it was great that we all had that meeting Perhaps sometime in then future it may happen again
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


yafm11 at tpg.com.au

Airtours: Sundream 4; Sunbird 1; MV Isabella Nile cruise; Thompsons 1; P&O UK 3; MV Victoria Yangtze cruise; P&O Australia 7; MV Royal Star Kenya; RCI Legend/Seas 2; Rhapsody/Seas 2; Voyager/Seas 2; Celebrity Infinity 1; MV Murray Princess river cruise; HAL Oosterdam 1; Carnival Legend 2; Carnival Spirit 1; Princess cruises Sun Princess 8; Dawn Princess 3; Diamond Princess 3; Grand Princess 3; Island Princess 2; Old Royal Princess 2; Sea Princess 2; Emerald Princess 4; Golden Princess 1,
Gold Coast
11,006 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Wishing everyone a happy Easter.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland to Halifax, Canada (Booked)
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Halifax, Canada to Miami, Florida (Booked)
Azamara - Journey - 2017 - Singapore to Hong Kong
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Gold Coast
11,006 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Hi Eileen,

Hope you haven't been affected by the local flooding in the Cairns/Port Douglas Region.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland to Halifax, Canada (Booked)
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Halifax, Canada to Miami, Florida (Booked)
Azamara - Journey - 2017 - Singapore to Hong Kong
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Came from the land above to the Land Downunder
6,615 Posts
Joined May 2008
Now in UK Great trip We went with INTREPID and they said we would experience india as it should be They were right


We sort of 2 star packpacked. Travel was by Small minibus (we were 10) private cars, tuktuks, public buses, sleeper train day train, cycle, motorbike,, motorboat, punt, jeep and lots I mean lots of walking. WE MISSED THE CAMELS AND HORSES!!


The accommodation was from 2.5 star hotels without breakfast to a large hut where we all slept together and had communal loos and showers THIS WAS IN A NATURE RESERVE WHERE WE COULD NOT WALK ABOUT BETWEEN 6PM AND 7AM without an armed guard We saw a video of the animals who walked around the huts and site during the night and they included leopards civit cats loads of deer and other small animals and an elephant.
We went on a jeep safari and saw a tiger which was marvellous The swimming pool, after we got out was the drinking hole for the local cows and goats as well as the nighttime critters.
There was a b&b homestay - interesting but food not so good and only available there





Great group we jelled very well and had a lot of giggles every day. Joined whatsapp and shared photos which was nice and anew experience for me


UK very wet and chilly but had one group family get together which was lovely more to come as we have a family christening and a house removal to take part in
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


yafm11 at tpg.com.au

Airtours: Sundream 4; Sunbird 1; MV Isabella Nile cruise; Thompsons 1; P&O UK 3; MV Victoria Yangtze cruise; P&O Australia 7; MV Royal Star Kenya; RCI Legend/Seas 2; Rhapsody/Seas 2; Voyager/Seas 2; Celebrity Infinity 1; MV Murray Princess river cruise; HAL Oosterdam 1; Carnival Legend 2; Carnival Spirit 1; Princess cruises Sun Princess 8; Dawn Princess 3; Diamond Princess 3; Grand Princess 3; Island Princess 2; Old Royal Princess 2; Sea Princess 2; Emerald Princess 4; Golden Princess 1,
Gold Coast
11,006 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by windsor26
Now in UK Great trip We went with INTREPID and they said we would experience india as it should be They were right
We sort of 2 star packpacked. Travel was by Small minibus (we were 10) private cars, tuktuks, public buses, sleeper train day train, cycle, motorbike,, motorboat, punt, jeep and lots I mean lots of walking. WE MISSED THE CAMELS AND HORSES!!
Theaccommodation was from 2.5 star hotels without breakfast to a large hut where we all slept together and had communal loos and showers THIS WAS IN A NATURE RESERVE WHERE WE COULD NOT WALK ABOUT BETWEEN 6PM AND 7AM without an armed guard We saw a video of the animals who walked around the huts and site during the night and they included leopards civit cats loads of deer and other small animals and an elephant.
We went on a jeep safari and saw a tiger which was marvellous The swimming pool, after we got out was the drinking hole for the local cows and goats as well as the nighttime critters.
There was a b&b homestay - interesting but food not so good and only available there
Great group we jelled very well and had a lot of giggles every day. Joined whatsapp and shared photos which was nice and anew experience for me
UKvery wet and chilly but had one group family get together which was lovely more to come as we have a family christening and a house removal to take part in
Your Indian trip sounds quite the adventure. Who says we can't still enjoy backpacking at our age! Glad you had a great small group and you got on well. I'll have to aSK my daughter about whatsapp.
I had heard that UK was still wet and cold from British people at the Commonwealth Games. The English lady in front of us at the hockey had a summer sleeveless dress on and didn't put her jacket on when we got wet from the spray watering the hockey fields. She was loving the Gold Coast autumn weather, despite the occasional short shower. Great atmosphere at the games and free entertainment provided throughout the Coast. Driving and parking is a breeze as many locals left for the school holidays and the duration of the games.
Enjoy the your family get togethers and special celebrations.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland to Halifax, Canada (Booked)
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Halifax, Canada to Miami, Florida (Booked)
Azamara - Journey - 2017 - Singapore to Hong Kong
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Georgia
3,616 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Hi, I'm back! We had a fun trip with only two ports missed (tender ports). First, we didn't get to Praia, Cape Verde Islands. They just went on to Banjul early and we stayed overnight. Then the same issues occurred when we were supposed to be in Monte Carlo so we were given Genoa as a substitute. It was a little scary in Banjul (The Gambia), and Dakar, Senegal. The people were nicer in Banjul though. In Dakar we were totally harassed by men when we got off our shuttle bus in the downtown area. We would have loved to look around the shops and markets, the parks, statues, buildings but they wouldn't leave anyone alone. They were right up in your face trying to get you to buy something or take you somewhere, etc. So after about 10 minutes we got back onto the bus for our own feeling of safety. Back to the ship! Some people went on tours outside the city and saw interesting things but I didn't feel like I wanted to go out for that much time. We enjoyed all the gala nights, the pillow gifts and some of the very interesting and beautiful ports we saw like Mahon on the Island of Menorca. We also enjoyed Captain Dag but he was only there for the last 2 weeks. We had Captain Schuchmann for a month, then Captain Carsjens for a couple weeks. Finally Captain Dag arrived. He was delayed because he was donating a kidney to his wife and the surgery kept being delayed due to some blood issues. The surgery was on March 22 and he was back on the Prinsendam April 21! I have some stories about him but no time right now. I will get to it later. It's good to be back here on Cruise Critic!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandi (no longer from St. Louis!)










Georgia
3,616 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Also, I have WhatsApp and use it for texting while overseas. You use wifi and can keep your phone on airplane mode the whole trip. I understand you can make phone calls too but I'm not sure about that. I really should check that out.

Also I added up this year's days on a ship and last year's. Virtually identical at about 158. I'm not sure how many days we'll do next year because we are booked on a family cruise in June to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. And since we are paying for all the kids and grandkids cabins that takes a chunk of our cruising dollars. Lots of planning will be needed for that cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandi (no longer from St. Louis!)