Orinoco River Cruise

RMS Olympic

we are doing the Orinoca river cruise on the Seabourn Pride leaving nov.21st

We were suppose to go up the Orinoca in Jan. last year on the twin rivers cruise but the Orinoca part of the cruise was canceled the riverboat pilots were on strike and we weren't allowed to go up the river without them on board.Hope this doesn't happen again although the extra day in Manous was an unexpected treat.This will be our first time in Tobago so we are looking forward to any info we can get also.

Are you going on the same cruise we are or thinking about it????

emmylou

Hi Emmylou my friend.

As you know you will have a fabulous time on the Pride.

Tobago is a great place to have a fun time but not very effiicient as far as tourism is concerned. Snorkeling can br fun!!

Have fun. We will be passing in Barbados as you know. We are boarding November 28th.:):):):):)

• 4 weeks later...

I did the Orinocco cruise last year and did not get off the boat until Venezuela, and then only for a short river cruise to some falls. However, everyone I met who took the long day trip to Angel Falls really had fun. (I had done that via land in my youth.) One thing is that on the river, one has to keep the doors closed because of huge bugs; also drapes drawn is recommended. If one dines at the Verandah room, you are taken via an interior route.

Grenada was a fun stop, I heard, but I wonder after hearing about all the hurricane damage if it will be a stop. Obviously if one stays on the ship, lodgings are not an issue.

This year? Yachtsman holiday from Barbados to FLL in December.

Jane in PHL

• 2 weeks later...

After three cruises with SEABOURN we decided to try a week on SEADREAM 1 late November. We sailed Cunard SEA GODDESS 1 in February 1998 and enjoyed that trip very much. At that time dinner meant dressing up just as SEABOURN is now for the main dining room, we enjoy that . SEADREAM is more casual and SEABOURN is relaxing dress codes a bit too, at least in the veranda cafe in the evening. Will just have to wait and see what that relaxed code turns out to be.

Next year we were considering the 7 day Barbados/Orinoco River/Barbados cruise ,or even the 14 day back to Fort Lauderdale, but if for three out of the seven days there will be a bug problem we will have to reconsider. Maybe another member could comment on JANEPOND's observations on her cruise last year. Question, why would SEABOURN continue to offer this itinerary if there was this problem? Do not seem to recall SEABOURN ever having visited any of the A B C islands in the southern Caribbean. Would that be an alternative 7 day trip itinerary ?

I think one of the draws on the cruise, besides the usual Seabourn Style, was the day trip to the falls, hard to reach otherwise, on a cruise. Evernone who went had a ball! One thing I found interesting as we sailed up (and back) down the river was all of the locals who came out in their small boats/canoes to see us waving at them.

Perhaps I wasn't too clear; the bugs/moths only came out at night, drawn to the proverbial 'flames'. I don't think it really hampered anyone to my knowledge unless they like to sleep with their balcony doors open.

However, that trip itinerary might change with some of the islands suffering hurricane damage, such as Grenada.

Jane in PHL (who just always prefers sea days to land excursions)

Thanks for clearing up the issue of the bugs, I thought that if this was during the day....while sitting out on deck, I would have to bring some dipping sauce to have with my bugs...crunch little snacks so to speak.

I am extremely excited about this trip next year and hope that there will a fun group that likes to be active, have a good time and not sit reading books only to frown if someone makes a noise out by the pool bar....

I am curious if this will convince me to sail them a second time rather than stay with Radisson....time will tell.

Well, time will tell. I was not a 'cruiser' although had been thinking about it when my mother wanted to do one (seasoned Seabourn traveler) and needed me to accompany her because of her frailities. Pauver moi! I fell in love with the small size, congeniality, and personalized service. The young chef (from Hamburg) would make us wiener schnitzle and spaetzle at lunch which was her favorite. Then she was unable to sail but I kept on, and was so touched that the chef remembered her favorite meal. Gregory the photographer took such wonderful photos of her; and that is so important now that she is gone. I know these are small things, but then, more than enough to keep me loyal.

My TA urged me to sail on Raddison (NY to BDA) and I had just finished the 2 week Scandinavia trip, so I flew down to meet him and his party. I was able to visit the ship and have lunch in one of the dining rooms. It is a lovely ship, but I must admit, I thought the standard suite a bit tighter than on the Priide, although they had a balcony with chairs. The food and service were very good. It just seemed so much larger and glitzier than the Pride. I am not one to eschew glitz, however, but I am addicted, I fear, to Seabourn, as long as they sail where and when I want.

Jane in PHL

Archived