Crusing to Canda one way with a DUI Diversion

I hear so many stories of people being turned around with a DUI conviction, but what about a diversion where the charges were dismissed and a conviction was not entered?

I am traveling to Canada one way leaving from CA, ending up in Vancouver and have all my paperwork from the court showing the case was dismissed. Will I encounter any issues since I was charged but did a diversion? Was curious to know if immigration/customs would even allow me to board the ship prior or is this something that would be an issue when I arrive in Vancouver?

I don't understand what you mean by "diversion" and am not comfortable in advising you in any way other than to direct you to the CBSA website: http://cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html#a3a

Start with that; you could also try emailing the CBSA. I just did that for other reasons and they were fairly prompt in their responses. They may also direct you to another government agency.

Good Luck!

I did contact the CBSA and they could not give me a direct answer.

My diversion is basically a record suspension, no conviction of guilt was entered. I guess I will find out when I get to the cruise ship. Just didn't know if anyone has ever experienced this via cruise, plane, car, etc.

I am just concerned because they will see my arrest charges. Don't know what information pulls up. Hopefully the court documents will satisfy any issues if there is any.

Thanks for your response :)

Edited by Mel1979

The only other thing I can suggest is searching for similar threads here on CC. The only problem is that there can be misinformation in some of the comments and, of course, that situation will likely be a little different from your situation. I'm really sorry that I can't help but I also don't want to misinform you when all I could offer is a guess.

Just bring all your paperwork, and be honest and forthright with the CBSA official. I just started watching Border Security which has really opened my eyes to what goes on at the border!

As AQ said it all comes down to what your 'diversion' was written up as on your record.

If there was ANY kind of penalty, even a voluntary one such as attending an education course, community service etc. or there is an end date in the file for when your 'diversion' expires, i.e. it's some kind of suspended sentence for a certain duration - then there is an offence on your record and you cannot enter Canada under the Deemed Rehabilitated clause until five years AFTER the final date listed on your record.

There have been various official and unofficial levels of leeway given to border control officers, so there's always a chance you'll get accepted - but are you willing to bank on it? Until five years from end of sentence rolls around, you can only guarantee entry with a Visa - and that's assuming that your Visa application is accepted...

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update. Got back from Canada with no problems. They do not consider a diversion a conviction, so if anyone else has the same issue. It will not effect your travels. I would still recommend to take any court paperwork just incase but i had no issues and did ask just to make sure.

Thank you so much for returning with that update. It's always annoying when a poster asks an interesting question or simply relevant for others questions and then never returns with confirmation.

Glad our gov't doesn't think you're a filthy criminal;-)

Just wanted to give an update. Got back from Canada with no problems. They do not consider a diversion a conviction, so if anyone else has the same issue. It will not effect your travels. I would still recommend to take any court paperwork just incase but i had no issues and did ask just to make sure.

Happy it went smoothly for you.

Was your situation even mentioned to you or did you enter Canada with no questions about your situation?

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you so much for returning with that update. It's always annoying when a poster asks an interesting question or simply relevant for others questions and then never returns with confirmation.

Glad our gov't doesn't think you're a filthy criminal;-)

I agree. Thanks for posting

This is always an interesting topic but if there no record of the DUI or any other offence then it is highly unlikely a person is going to be refused entry into Canada so long as they don't arrive at the border with a current untried charge, outstanding arrest warrant, hand guns, narcotics and alike. Also, I have found it interesting that some states treat a DUI as a misdemeanour offence and therefore there is no record of the charge. So if you have any doubt about what may or not be on your record then it is advisable to check with your local law enforcement office.

• 3 years later...

How do you get the paper work and what kind do you get? Will the paper work say anything about a guilty plea? I'm doing diversion I plead guilty but I won't be convicted after I finish diversion, will I still be eligible to go through the Canadian border?