excursions on New England/Canada

sid the kid

We are sailing on Anthem of the Seas Oct 18, 2018. I have emailed the excursion and special needs departments at Royal Caribbean and they have not been able to answer my questions. My husband is in a transport wheelchair and has a brace on his leg. He can walk short distances and go down a few stairs. I have already booked our excursions, but need to know if I should cancel them. I would like to know if the tender at Bar Harbor is a "ferry like boat" or a lifeboat. We are booked on the RC Acadia park/lobster bake tour and I need to know if they can store the wheelchair. Would anyone know if there is wheelchair storage on the Portland/Kennebunkport five hour tour, Peggy's Cove and Halifax three hour tour, St John hop off and on tour? Thanks for your help, first time cruising on Anthem of the Seas

We are sailing on Anthem of the Seas Oct 18, 2018. I have emailed the excursion and special needs departments at Royal Caribbean and they have not been able to answer my questions. My husband is in a transport wheelchair and has a brace on his leg. He can walk short distances and go down a few stairs. I have already booked our excursions, but need to know if I should cancel them. I would like to know if the tender at Bar Harbor is a "ferry like boat" or a lifeboat. We are booked on the RC Acadia park/lobster bake tour and I need to know if they can store the wheelchair. Would anyone know if there is wheelchair storage on the Portland/Kennebunkport five hour tour, Peggy's Cove and Halifax three hour tour, St John hop off and on tour? Thanks for your help, first time cruising on Anthem of the Seas

I do not know anything about a collapsible wheelchair. Is there any possibility you could take it on the tour vehicles with you? Also, it is unlikely that you will find storage place anywhere. We traveled with a bicycle lock and chain and locked both scooters to a light post or something similar.

Are the tours you booked with the ship? I would assume that if so, they would all be the easy tours. Also, is there any possibility they can transport the wheelchair? I'm surprised that RCCL has not been more assistance. Rather than securing or storing the wheelchair, ask if it can be transported.

I believe ships use standard tenders in Bar Harbor.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Bar harbor uses the ship's lifeboats. it is also canceled quite often due to rough seas.

there is no storage on hop on hop off buses or trolleys. he'd be far better off renting a regular wheelchair to have with him. transport chairs suck for long term( more than say 15 minute stretches at a time) for both pusher and sitter

• 2 weeks later...

The Anthem uses tenders, not life boats. I know because I 'be been there three times in the past two years. That being said, there is a very steep ramp once you get off the tender at Bar Harbor. It makes it very difficult to push a person up or down. And keep in mind the area itself is very hilly. I would rethink that excursion. The HOHO bus could also be challenging. Would the bus driver be willing to stop for longer times while you get off and on for the different stops. And do you realize that Penny's Cove is extremely rocky. I'm not trying to discourage you, just manage your expectations. My wife is a stroke survivor and uses a wheelchair and scooter. I know what you are going through.

I use a mobility scooter and found Halifax port area to be extremely easy to get around. There is a very long wooden deck for many, many blocks right by the sea with stores and restaurants. In fact, there is a huge building right at the port with a big market set up. It is the most accessible port I have been to.

As far as Peggy's Cove you don't even have to walk around there. It's very charming to see it even from a car. If you want to walk to the lighthouse that would be different. Not sure you could do it but the whole area is very quaint and nice to see (even the drive there from the ship). There is a restaurant and you could enjoy the view and have a light snack or lunch etc.

Are any of the excursions listed as accessible? If not, then its up to the tour operators as to whether they will store the chair for you. If it's a large motor coach, they probably will (underneath). Unfortunately you won't know until you get there if it is not advertised as an accessible tour. You can probably ask once you get on the ship (ask at the excursions desk) and if you don't feel comfortable you can always cancel.

We were on Princess a couple of years ago and in Bar Harbor they used a ferry type boat so my sister was able to get on easily, but she uses a mobility scooter. There was a steep ramp (as someone else mentioned) and not sure if there is assistance at the dock to help get you up the ramp. P.S. there's a great little cafe at the dock that had the absolute best wild blueberry pie clear.png?emoji-hearteyes-1689.

I honestly don't think ADA kicks in until you're on land in Bar Harbor - the ship is definitely not required to be ADA compliant. As someone else mentioned, Halifax is great for accessibility.

Thank you for responding, I heard back from RC today, and we should be able to store the folding transport wheelchair on the trolleys/buses we will be on for the excursions. I am a planner and have over researched this cruise. We need to relax and just have fun.