Royal Caribbean - booking private group event instead of wedding package?

has anyone ever done this or looked into it? With all the terrible reviews for their wedding coordination, it seems like it would be easier to just book a lounge for a private special event during the cruise and do the wedding/ reception yourself? It would probably have to be a symbolic ceremony, but then you could have much more control over everything. For a small wedding would this work?

• 5 weeks later...

We are exploring this exact same thing, but ultimately we are going to do the wedding package. We are getting married on the Independence in February. The events department can do a VERY basic ceremony for you, and can't provide an officiant, so if you are doing a small gathering or eloping I think it could work. Part of why we decided to ultimately go with the package is because you get someone to orchestrate and execute on everything for the day (they follow the "template"). Doing it through the events department, I would end up being in charge of ensuring who walks down the aisle when, how the music will work, who needs to be where when, etc etc. You'd save a bunch of money using the events department BUT I would recommend it only if you have a small group or a super casual event and don't care about the normal process of a wedding or the stress the day of of doing it yourself. We are doing our Ceremony and Cocktail Hour in the Star Lounge and then did a restaurant buy out of Chops for dinner that night. For dancing etc after we're going to just end up bar/band hopping around the ship after dinner. Totally happy to answer any specific questions you have! We are not doing an embarkation day ceremony/event, and have about 50 guests sailing with us.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 8/30/2018 at 10:37 AM, 1aurenbeth said:

has anyone ever done this or looked into it? With all the terrible reviews for their wedding coordination, it seems like it would be easier to just book a lounge for a private special event during the cruise and do the wedding/ reception yourself? It would probably have to be a symbolic ceremony, but then you could have much more control over everything. For a small wedding would this work?

Are you still thinking about doing this/ did this for your wedding? I am interested in details if you are/did! As plan and budget for a wedding, I'm thinking about this option to save some money but still have a fun wedding on a cruise. Interested in thoughts! Thanks! 

On 9/28/2018 at 12:52 PM, TheWhiteMoth said:

We are exploring this exact same thing, but ultimately we are going to do the wedding package. We are getting married on the Independence in February. The events department can do a VERY basic ceremony for you, and can't provide an officiant, so if you are doing a small gathering or eloping I think it could work. Part of why we decided to ultimately go with the package is because you get someone to orchestrate and execute on everything for the day (they follow the "template"). Doing it through the events department, I would end up being in charge of ensuring who walks down the aisle when, how the music will work, who needs to be where when, etc etc. You'd save a bunch of money using the events department BUT I would recommend it only if you have a small group or a super casual event and don't care about the normal process of a wedding or the stress the day of of doing it yourself. We are doing our Ceremony and Cocktail Hour in the Star Lounge and then did a restaurant buy out of Chops for dinner that night. For dancing etc after we're going to just end up bar/band hopping around the ship after dinner. Totally happy to answer any specific questions you have! We are not doing an embarkation day ceremony/event, and have about 50 guests sailing with us.

Congratulations!!!!!  I am doing almost the same thing for our wedding coming up in April of 2020.  Sounds like you either already did or will soon be getting married yourself on the Independence.  I would LOVE to hear how it went when you get back for your cruise!!!  🙂  Good Luck & Have Fun... -Tiffany

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Curious how this turned out as well! We got married on the LOS but went through the wedding package. We overall had a very good experience with the wedding planners minus a few hiccups there were solved pretty quickly.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, We are thinking of getting married on the Indy of the Seas in April of 2020.  Anybody have any advice?

We are having a small thing....we are only having maybe 14 guests coming on the cruise. and only GF and I are part of the wedding party....the other 14 guests will only be there to view it.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

• 1 month later...