Med cruise and Barcelona hotel

JoRoy218

Just booked a Med cruise for April 2018. Wondering if anyone has used the Princess recommended hotels and transfers to ship in Barcelona or should we just book on our own. Thanks for any suggestions!

We stayed at the Citadines Ramblas Barcelona for two nights last June and would definitely stay there again. It's in a convenient location, well priced, clean and quiet. Click this link to check out their website.

Princess hotel rates are typically overpriced as are their transfers. If you like a hotel they offer, book it on your own. Also, take a taxi to the port to save $$$ and go when it's convenient for you.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

On our 1st trip, we made our own plans and stayed at the Hotel 1898. It's right on Las Ramblas just a few blocks from Placa Catalunya (Transportation Hub and HOHO buses) and a few blocks from La Boqueria (Main Market) in the opposite direction. It was an excellent hotel in every regard, although it did not offer breakfast. Don't know if they do now, but there was an excellent breakfast and lunch place 1 block away.

Another time we stayed at the Majestic, which was the Princess hotel at the time. It was excellent, too. It was in the Eixample district (main & upscale shopping area). There are excellent restaurants in the area, too. The staff recommended a couple to us and we thought they were very good. The included breakfast was excellent, too.

For one trip that we had to cancel, we were booked at the Hotel Monte Carlo which is pretty much across the street from the Hotel 1898. That is a great value for the $$$ and it includes breakfast. Can't remember if it a full breakfast or not. A little research will solve that question.

Barcelona really is an easy city to do on your own. The airport was a 10 minute ride from the Hotel 1898 and just a little longer to the Majestic. Hotels and cabs abound there.

Hope this helps.

We stayed at the Serhs Hotel del Port this past April, 2017. Amazing breakfast buffet (some of the best food we had on our 15 day land and cruise trip in Western Europe). Walked to the shuttle stop across from the statue of Columbus to the ship for a few Euros. Walked Las Ramblas the night before the cruise and had dinner outside at one of the restaurants. Caught the hop on/off bus, again at the Statue of Columbus.

Great time for 2 nights!

For one trip that we had to cancel, we were booked at the Hotel Monte Carlo which is pretty much across the street from the Hotel 1898. That is a great value for the $$$ and it includes breakfast. Can't remember if it a full breakfast or not. A little research will solve that question.

We stayed at the Montecarlo on our first visit to Barcelona and would have stayed there again. Unfortunately it is now closed.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

Price it out doing hotel on your own . Taxis are readily available at the airport, it's been a few years since we took a taxi to the Barcelona airport, I seem to remember it being in the range of 40 € but perhaps someone else can chime in. We used the Hotel Lleo and were very pleased, just off Plaza Catalunya and the Ramblas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Price it out doing hotel on your own . Taxis are readily available at the airport, it's been a few years since we took a taxi to the Barcelona airport, I seem to remember it being in the range of 40 € but perhaps someone else can chime in. We used the Hotel Lleo and were very pleased, just off Plaza Catalunya and the Ramblas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our cab fare from the airport to the Serhs del Port was 25euros.

Just booked a Med cruise for April 2018. Wondering if anyone has used the Princess recommended hotels and transfers to ship in Barcelona or should we just book on our own. Thanks for any suggestions!

Have cruised in and out of Barcelona a number of times, going again in October. We always book our own hotel... use taxi to get between airport and hotel and cruise... Taxis are reasonable. On on next trip we are staying at the Crown Plaza... easy to book on line or over the phone... Crown Plaza, Barcelona, Fira Center. $251.42 euros for 1 night for 2.

Always book my own hotel... less expensive then what you might get from a cruise line.

We have stayed out at the airport, at Hilton Hotels, and the Ritz Carlton, the Arts Hotel over the years... we look on line for a reasonable rate. If you are going in April... depending on when Easter is... I would book now.

Another vote for Hotel Jazz, though we did not have a breakfast included. There is a small bake shop right next door that we used for breakfast - excellent.

We also used Barcelona Day Tours - they picked us up, with luggage, at hotel and dropped us off at the ship. Taxi in from Airport.

Edited by Tedferg

Just returned last month from the Majestic Barcelona to Rome, and spent two pre cruise nights at the Hotel Santa Marta, near the Gothic Quarter. Very reasonable, about $130/night, with an excellent buffet breakfast. Excellent location, great nearby restaurants, clean modern room, great front desk staff. Took the airport bus for 9 euros, then a short taxi ride. Would definitely recommend and stay there again. Friends stayed at Hotel Del Mar. They liked that as well - a little more expensive.

We stayed at the Montecarlo on our first visit to Barcelona and would have stayed there again. Unfortunately it is now closed.

My friend and I did too, and were disappointed to see that it was closed, as it was a very nice hotel in great location.

I understand that Princess hotels are generally 4 star, so nice places, but the rates are per person, NOT per room. I don't consider that a particularly good deal, even with the inclusion of transfers from the airport to hotel and hotel to pier. In the past, I have used Princess hotels for the convenience or because I am traveling solo and am not familiar with the port city.

Edited by flamomo

We did a transatlantic in April that ended in Barcelona. Our friends booked the Gallery through Princess and we booked the Astoria on our own. Our cost for two nights was less than their cost for one night. Our hotels were only a few blocks from each other and an easy walk to Las Ramblas. After seeing our room our friends changed their reservations (made through Princess) for their October cruise to Hotel Astoria. Very clean and staff was amazing.

Just returned last month from the Majestic Barcelona to Rome, and spent two pre cruise nights at the Hotel Santa Marta, near the Gothic Quarter. Very reasonable, about $130/night, with an excellent buffet breakfast. Excellent location, great nearby restaurants, clean modern room, great front desk staff. Took the airport bus for 9 euros, then a short taxi ride. Would definitely recommend and stay there again. Friends stayed at Hotel Del Mar. They liked that as well - a little more expensive.

We'll be staying in the Gothic quarter this Oct pre-Royal TA. Where did the airport bus drop you off? Also, did you take a taxi to the ship? Thnx.

We;ve stayed in Barcelona quite a few times and stay at the Hotel Continental on las Ramblas. Admittedly, it is not 4 star but it is clean and convenient. A lot of pre/post cruisers stay there. They have free food, free beverages including wine, free computers. A hop on hop off is a block away. A department store/supermarket a couple of blocks away for last minute items. There is express bus service from the airport to the Plaza near the hotel for around 6 euros per person. It has a couple of stops before it gets to the Plaza but fairly quick. Do keep any eye on your luggage, though like you have to keep your eyes on everything in Barcelona particularly on Las Ramblas, a major tourist area. You need exact change for the bus.. Cab fare is around 15 euros to the port but some hearty people actually walk. If you take a cab, cross the street to catch it so you won't be paying when they have to get the cab going the right direction and some drivers have been known to take a scenic route. Across the street, it is a straight shot to the pier so no need to go up and down side streets. . You can usually find a couple to share the cab during "happy hour" at the hotel if you want.

The rooms are small and you have to like florals (lol). Bathrooms are nice. Take a wash rag like you have to do in most European hotels. We always get the cheapest of around 100 euros which I think are suppose to be "insides" but we've always had a window or small skylight balcony. For more money, they have rooms with balconies overlooking Las Ramblas.

They have a sister hotel up the street a few blocks that is a little nicer and costs a little more. However, we prefer to trade cheap and convenience for "upscale" (lol).

It books out quickly, so don't dilly dally around.