Holland America's Oprah Cruise Will Feature Special Singers and Speakers

LauraS

Cruise critic rookie mistake.. I didn’t check the age of the thread. I’m perfectly fine to let this thread go back into the abyss. Thank you everyone!! I should say live your best life or find another happy Oprah quote .. but I’ll just wave bye and say Happy Cruising [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruise critic rookie mistake.. I didn’t check the age of the thread. I’m perfectly fine to let this thread go back into the abyss. Thank you everyone!! I should say live your best life or find another happy Oprah quote .. but I’ll just wave bye and say Happy Cruising [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do enjoy your cruise. Should be fun.

I am not a big fan of Oprah myself but I never really did daytime TV shows. Kind of like when Walt Disney World does ABC Soap Opera Star week at Hollywood Studios, I couldn't care less but Star Wars Weekends were a blast. To each his own.:cool::D

The lady didn't say she was looking for a religious camp meeting atmosphere. I'm not sure where you got that idea.

Roz

Funny you should question this very quality about an Oprah cruise, Roz. Apparently it comes with the territory. Newsweek Magazine 2018:

There's a great book by Kathryn Lofton called Oprah: The Gospel of an Icon. She says that Oprah doesn't make sense if you think of her as a celebrity. She only makes sense if you think of her followers as a religious movement. They're structured like a religious movement. They're organized into clubs. They look at her almost as a quasi-religious figure. There's just no one in America who has that kind of following who would be a remotely plausible presidential candidate, except for Oprah.

In what way do Oprah's followers resemble a religious movement more than a celebrity fandom?

It has to do with Oprah's message, which is one of uplift and self-help and the ability to improve your life through dedicated work on yourself. And followers respond to that. They don't just look at her as a celebrity. They look at her as someone preaching a gospel of good living that inspires them to be better people. While that doesn't have any strictly theological content, it is an almost religious approach to one's life.

I read O Magazine at the hairdresser's, and never thought of it as a religious publication. But back to what the lady was asking, she wanted to know if others are on the same cruise, not if others would be participating in some kind of religious ritual onboard. :halo:

Roz

The problem here (forgetting Oprah) is that you will likely have a large "group" on a regular cruise (not chartered). So what does this mean to the cruiser on that ship who has no interest in the Oprah related stuff? There is a limited number or decent public venues on any ship. When you have a large group, they take over some of those venues (on a regular basis) which denies their use to the remainder of the passengers. If the Oprah group has entertainment or speakers in the main theater...it means that venue is not available for the normal activities. If one decides to go up to the Crows Nest (or what is left of the Crows Nest) for a drink...you may find that its closed on several evenings for a "Private Group."

Forty+ years of cruise experience has taught us to avoid any cruise (on any line) that has a large group on the ship. Sometimes you will not even know about a large group until you are on the ship...but this is the exception.

Hank

This!! (y)(y)

I did not mean anything against Oprah, I admire her greatly and would love to meet her and I am a believer,

May I ask.... a believer in what, exactly? If I may say that the phrase 'I'm a believer' typically implies a theological connotation. Are you perhaps including Oprah in this category? :confused:

Kelleherdl

"

Vfwdddddff

"

Mind explainin g what this is, please?

And,

kroozNut

"Otherwise known as 'Don Quique'..

Despite googling, I still do not know what that is though I have asked at least 2-3 times. :)

It must have some meaning or why have it as signature? :D

"

This is a necroed thread so who knows if those folks are even still here.

But just because you asked... I'm a Believer.. enjoy this stroll down amnesia lane :D

PS I like the Monkees version best but Smash Mouth did a pretty good cover too.

Krooz Nut is still an active CC/ HAL/ poster

Yes indeed they are. That particular post was not one I was referring to as that poster had literally just posted before you.

I was referring to the fact that prior to the necroing of this thread the most recent post was from August 28th, 2017, almost a year ago and some of the posts go back to May of 2017. Some of the posters who originally posted to this thread a year ago may or may not even still be active here so asking them questions may or may not illicit a response.

Some of the posters who originally posted to this thread a year ago may or may not even still be active here so asking them questions may or may not illicit a response.

No illicit responses here please!:halo: